1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Harvesting - I'm a Lumberjack(jill) and I'm OK :)

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Louise Ranavolana Brooks, May 27, 2016.

1. Louise Ranavolana Brooks

Louise Ranavolana Brooks Active Member

I enjoy chopping down trees & on Calypso did a fair bit - I am not sure how different things are here though.
    I do a lot of exploring and when I am near trees I have my terratech engaged.
    Usually where there are good stands of timber, there are usually irritating & aggressive mobs keeping an eye on things.
    On Ark thou, what I have noticed, seems to be plenty of trees but a lack of harvestable ones.
    So far I have cut down 3 Large trees (exploring between the Outpost & Celeste Harbour).
    Yes I am a tree snob - I only bother with L & H trees, no fiddley little trees for me :) But even so - very few of them have I seen so far.

Of course it may well be because I am new to Arkadia & there is a lot of land I haven seen yet.
    Or, maybe I just happen to be following in the steps of a mad keen lumberjack who has cut down everything & they haven't regenerated by the time I get there. Who knows :)

2. Dave Adama

Dave Adama New Member

Hi!

You can a lot more harvestable trees at Celeste Quarry. The best time to go there is during night cycle, because it is to spot the glowing orbs in the dark.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. the-unknown

the-unknown Member

You sound like a monty python fan ;)

We can always use more interesting characters in arkadia.

Welcome to Arkadia and have fun :)

4. Louise Ranavolana Brooks

You have to laugh :)
    I checked out around Celeste Quarry - I could not find anything first sweep. How brightly the nodes shine depends on the Graphics settings. I have not had any difficulty in seeing them so far. Also if you hover your cursor over trees - can indicate harvestable trees quite some distance away - I had no luck with that.
    I have found some trees in the area heading to Celeste Harbour, which is not that far away I guess.
    So far trees I have seen seem to be average types some with brownish bark, some with greyish. I take screenshots but not sure where to post them here. I do on the Calypso Forums thou.
    When I find locations I will post them :)
    And thanks for the warm welcome \o/

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Louise Ranavolana Brooks

Trees I have found so far (also where I found them)

Attached Files:

6. Louise Ranavolana Brooks

Trees so far are a lot sparser than Calypso. Have only found one type, a sort of generic tree, grey or maybe brown bark, all so far have been the same size, rather small. Mostly small trees , a couple of Large ones & only one huge tree so far.
    As well as looking for gold nodes - pan & hover mouse over trees you are approaching - harvestable types of tree will flash up - put you on notice of where to head to.
    On Caly trees are found in groups, same here but so far group is no more that 2 to 3. They will appear in a forest, have never seen any appearing on their own. Trees here so far have been easy to harvest, none of that irritating "failed to move to Target" stuff.

Attached Files:

7. Louise Ranavolana Brooks

Things starting to look up, am finding more H & L trees, thou not as many as on Calypso - then again may not have found any purple patches yet :)
    Should have said - you see a yellow node, move up to it & look around - there usually are other trees in the vicinity

8. Louise Ranavolana Brooks

I am going to use this thread as a record of my tree harvesting adventures.
    There are trees near Celeste Quarry & they are a new type for me. Have only found small ones so far they look like Entropia 2016-06-03 22-38-01-38.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. RAZER

RAZER Active Member Pro Users

OK I officially have been not playing for to long now, we can cut trees these days ??!!

• Welcome! Welcome! x 1
  10. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

If you haven't noticed yet, only certain arkadia servers have harvestable trees. I'll leave it to you to discover which of the 9 servers those are. Also, harvestable trees spawn on precise locations, so you if you have a good route you can go back over it later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Louise Ranavolana Brooks

Trees come in 3 sizes, small, large, Huge. You cannot tell from the size of the tree - large trees could show as small, while weedy little saplings can show up as Huge :)
    You need a Terratech - they are available from TT. Terratech PH1 is a L item and while you can cut all size trees with it, all you will get is short planks. I use a Terratech PH3 is U but is expensive to acquire. I am betting that the price of wood will increase in the future.
    If you come to a tree & keep getting the message "Failed to move to Target" move just a bit around the tree - in the right spot your av will raise
    the Terratech & begin cutting. If that fails, go to options & uncheck box "move 2 target" that will work - but I suspect then there will be less wood available.
    I said earlier that a harvestable tree will show that it is harvestable & its size when you move the cursor over it - and from quite some distance away. It does not always seem to be the case here.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Spike Black

Spike Black Active Member

It was introduced as part of Calypso CLD land plots but not sure if anything on Ark uses them.

13. Louise Ranavolana Brooks

I regularly look for trees to harvest, it is a pleasant to explore Arkadia & mostly I prefer to go my own way by myself.

I do enjoy chatting though - I do that sweating (one can sort of veg out & chat away while sucking sweat off a Nusul in company with other players - as long as you don't go full afk & stuff things for others)

Celeste Quarry is the best place to look for trees (I have found so far) the birch? type trees are easy to harvest - there are good numbers & the mobs are not nasty. The Haraduras (cannot remember their correct names) are the worst & you need to pay attention - ignore them & its an unanticipated trip to the revive.
    As an aside that is my quick way to return to base - aggravate a mob & let them give me a 'taxi ride" to the nearest revive.

Trees do tend to reappear at more or less the same places - so if I find a good patch, I record the pos in a sticky note. What I have found is that I think trees grow up - there is a patch of small trees near the quarry - S ones & I am far to grand to bother with them now. But when I see a growing node I move to it and look around for others (usually, but not always they are in clumps). Well this patch of trees now are not all S, there were some L ones - so maybe they grew up for me to harvest :) )

I have marked the pos of a tree I am watching to see if it indeed gets bigger if left alone. And, I suspect, the longer a tree is left alone the more timber it gives - I think.

Other things - H trees give more skills than smaller ones - But if you don't have a PH3 all you will get is Short Planks.

Have 2 get 2 work - have more things 2 post on return cyas :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. wournos

wournos Active Member

Hadraada?!

15. Louise Ranavolana Brooks

That's them :) cranky creatures that they are.

I had anticipated that when buildings could be built on plots, that there would be a demand for timber - so I patiently set about stockpiling timber, especially the L & H boards. All set to make my killing.

And so it has come to pass - but the timber required is Stinktree boards, while the only timber that can be harvested is Moonleaf.
    I do not know what mobs on Arkadia drop them - but it seems that the only way to get them is to hunt.

If ever there was a way to manipulate the market :( I guess that running around collecting timber kept me out of mischief - and I can make composite planks out of them - two out of ten efforts were partially successful - and wtf can composite planks be used for.

Maybe MA has it planned that trees will produce timber other than Moonleaf, and Maybe there will actually be different types of trees producing diff types of wood -- Yeah Maybe, Just Maybe if I Cry :(

[​IMG]

16. wournos

wournos Active Member

I've dabbled with resource gathering too. Even thought there doesn't seem to be a use for planks on Arkadia it is a good way to gain skills.
    For those interested there is a separate thread here with various information. It's OLD now so don't post in it. ;)

...Oh my... I have 20 PED worth of Wood Shavings.

17. the-unknown

the-unknown Member

I keep alot of "junk" around cos of that, just in case something changes and it suddenly becomes useful cos of that. Sometimes you get lucky (I made a very very very nice amount on fruits / sweet stuff), sometimes you end up tt'ing the stuff.

Who knows, maybe some future upgrades in the plots may require the harvested timber.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. wournos

wournos Active Member

The harvested resources and other material are used to craft Composite Planks, which are used to build the majority of houses/gardens etc on Calypso. I hope something similar is released on Arkadia - or at least a use for the resources.
    http://www.planetcalypso.com/opportunities/land-plots/

19. Aspen Fable

Aspen Fable Member

Thanks for all the info Louise! I had read this thread before, but came back to it now because I am trying out the harvester. Thought it would be a good addition to exploring. :)

20. Milesio

Milesio Platinum Member Platinum Member

This is december 2016 and yesterday is first time i know something of the terratech tool for cut wood. Is true someone is building houses?