1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you hate pirates?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by lyosha, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VanLot

VanLot New Member

Think can only pirate answer: You can evade pvp4 but you cant pvp and thats why Nebula Virus most famous space soc :)

2. Luckycharm

Luckycharm Member

More like in real world you say? Jailtime for some years then for you bud after anyone shoots you down. Locked in a room you cannot escape from for many years. No more pirating and no more skilling or whatever you'd have wanted to do. Until your time has passed. Yes let's make it like that. I agree with you! Maybe think twice what you wish for. Or keep posting more self-favored things as you go...

3. Ori'sWorld

Ori'sWorld Well-Known Member

Again i dont have any issue with space-pirates...makes space travel exciting! as im always on the lookout on long space flights! i have been shot down many times...tho! i always leave them with a parting gift of dung......

4. TiveXO

TiveXO New Member

hmm i dont honor pvp4ers on any planets :D
    i dont care about them. but the reason why most people (me included) dont like pirates is pretty simple and clear.
    We cant avoid in this game pirates anymore. we have high costs to ship our loots over to other planets to get the necessary MU, or coz we wanna craft on the other planet.Or just doing a hunt on a mob which exist only there.
    I heared so often : " you dont like beeing shooten down , then dont go in space"
    This stupid reason they can safe for their grandma. Entropia is a Multi-planetary game and we all have different reasons why to travel through space.
    Our quads loosing quite a bit of TT if we get a hit from pirates. Last dude who shoot me cost 2 ped extra just for few shots my quad took.
    Other reason , they shoot you mostly anyways if they expect loots or not.
    They shoot you because they like it to shoot unarmed peole :)

Its not nice always beeing shooten down XD
    After a while im used to it , but i still dont like it :D
    Another reason is, pirates cuased by their big hits already, that some people which did a full transfer lost ALL !!
    And it was not always their own fault.
    I remember once in cause of a server issue a Mass-DC on Caly Atmosphere where people lost all round more then 14k ped TT.
    (MA didnt care......)
    Well a summary :

-They shoot us down, what we dislike
    -cause higher trnasport costs for using warps (which are time depending to save costs again ,,lol,,)
    -cause other extra costs if they shoot our ships down (loosing TT+MU of vehicle)
    -caused big incidents where some people already stopped playing because they lost all they owned

Hope thats enough reasons :)

5. SLD

SLD Member

An easy trick to get around this TT loss, is to keep your Quad only repaired to ~15%. Since you will be shot down anyways, might as well have it take less shots to do so, and so decreasing the TT decay taken. Sure it might look funny to others to see your Quad billowing smoke all the time, but your Quad will last a long time this way. Even better though, pirates will quite often ignore Quads when they are like this, as they assume you have already just been shot down. Try it!

This is the real kicker... There have been so many that got looted in space and then straight up quit EU. MA is so determined to keep the MS owners happy and busy with their investments, that they don't take time to notice this environment is causing people to flee the game taking their $ with them. Oh well.. ..what can you do.

Edit: Oh, I hate pirates because they waste my time, and make space a place that I dread going to. Instead of a place that could be explored and enjoyed.

6. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer Member

You do know that Real Life Pirates are killed and never get to revive. Always have been, ever will be. Just ask those Somali Pirates that the US Navy snipers killed. Or the hordes that the British Navy caught and hung...or the Khan navies....etc.

Do you really want MA to have the IFN start sending out patrol vessels with one shot kill capabilities on anyone who has an "evil" rep?

As said before, be careful when wishing for REAL world solutions because in the REAL world, pirates almost always end up the losers.

Now, that being said....my two coppers worth of opinion and/or statement....

I don't particularly hate nor like pirates. I don't get all frothy at the mouth and spit flame and fire and brimstone and get all bent outta shape over another player shooting me down. I mean, what's the point after all. You are not hurting that player and in some cases, you probably are just making their otherwise empty day because their sole reason for killing you IS to piss you off. Then coming here, going nuts, not only CONFIRMS they accomplished this goal but, it feeds their need to do it...all the more. That is a no win situation because the more you go off, the more gratification they get and so, the more they want to go do it.

No, that ain't the way to fix it.

Likewise, if you are the pirate and enjoy just pissing in others cheerios for kicks...you are running the ever increasing risk that MA, being a REAL WORLD company along with their Planet Partners are going to bow to the VASTLY greater numbers of NON pirates and put some kind of measure in place that will very definitely end your fun with a large, wicked, nerf pickle.

I am talking like IFN Death Stars with one shot capabilities and your name is tattooed on their KOS lists so that every time you get near a space station or one of these impossible to kill Death Wagons that roam about all of space with super stealth capabilities to pop in and waste you without warning nerf pickles or worse, you suddenly are put KOS on the new "IFN Security forces for planets and space stations" who just happen to have a dozen guards standing next to every trade terminal and teleport along WITH the all powerful Death Stars so that it becomes such a chore to be a space pirate even the most die hard and anal person just can't force themselves to log in again because its easier to go off into another game and do the same thing.

Yes, some ppl would LOVE to see the latter...not me. (Shocking I know)

I think space pirates that are truly like REAL life pirates, who ironically were very just and fair within their own ranks for the most part, with a set of "rights" for all crew members that even the ships captain had to abide by, have a very useful purpose in the game. They add a very real sense of danger to traveling in space and space SHOULD be dangerous. Its SPACE for crying out loud, not some planet where the IFN supposedly has at least tried to tame things a bit.

The griping and complaining (and reason for becoming a pirate) stems from one and only one thing really.....looting the material and resources from a kill.

Well, guess what...if you don't take items up into space, you can't get looted when killed. (gasp and shocked looks of awe)

Do you take materials and/or resources into lootable PVP areas of planets? If no, why not?

Apply the same to space.

If you want to move these things between planets then, hire a Privateer or Mothership and arrange to log off and back on when they are in safe zones. At least till MA "fixes" that. (this is a gripe of the pirates BTW)

Personally, what I would like to see and this is my opinion along and neither side will be happy with is so..oh well....

I think the "log off and back on" or "ghosting" should be stopped. Likewise, I think disrupting a warp with weapon fire should be stopped. I think nothing short of a warp mine should be able to disrupt a warp period and that a privateer or MS guns should have GREATER range then anything you can mount on a single or dual man fighter.

This will make it where pirates will have to get smarter, faster, more skilled to ply their trade and at the same time, make it where travel in space remains dangerous while still offering the people that wish to move items from planet to planet options.

Do I use my sle or quad and run the risk of a single pirate being able to take me out or do I find and pay for a warp (or even subwarp) of a big ship that has bigger guns and a repair crew to keep her afloat?

A good MS or Privateer with a trained and well prepared repair crew and gunners is not an easy thing to take out. You need to have quite a few quads attacking it and every time one of the quads gets taken out by a gunner, that is one less you have to fight with, at least for a time. And if MA actually makes it where the big ships can ADD GUNS (instead of the stock, set number) to a maximum (which can be more for a MS then a Privateer) then things get even harder for pirates potentially but also more costly for the ship owners who, I am sure, will end up passing that cost along to their clients.

In short, you can balance this entire mess much better in many ways without going overboard on EITHER side.

I don't want to ruin the "fun" of pirates that choose to be the "villains" in EU. After all, without the villains, who would the heroes play off against? Where would the story be without the bad guys?

At the same time, I don't want so called "pirates" to be able to disrupt and otherwise harass and ruin the fun the average player either nor be immune to being stopped BY the Heroes. (or Knights or whatever you want to call them)

Space is still very much in the infant stage and I am hoping and banking that MA is going to expand and work on space and leave the planets to the Planet Partners to deal with. To me, this seems the best course of action.

Nobody is going to be entirely happy about whatever they come up with. Nobody will get everything they want. Just accept that now and you will feel better when things finally come to rest.

Just try to find a place in the middle ground you can accept and live with and work politely and civilly to steer the MA Space barge to that spot but, again, be willing to accept your tugboat might not be the winner when we reach the pier and there will be sandbars we hit now and again until then because, yours ain't the only tugboat on this barge.

And with that, I will shut the hell up and go back into stealth mode. :cowboy:

7. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

Okay, first...nobody can "loose all they own" in this game by being shot down or looted. The ONLY two tabs that get dumped are the materials tab and the resources tab.

So clothing, guns, tools, mindforce, armor, vehicles (etc) can't be looted.

On the loss of the TT value (+MU) on your quad....well, yeah, you can lose your TT value (+MU) on your vehicle...so if losing it on the quad is too much, drive a sle....ALOT less MU to lose and you can still fly in space, just slower but more fuel efficient or (gasp) use the Privateers and Motherships.

I know the XXIV even offers sub-warp flight for donations and I am sure others do and almost any of them are willing to take fares so there are ways around this loss of TT+MU.

Sorry but once again, these "reasons" boil down to one thing..."I don't like having to pay my peds because of pirates"...and well, I have little sympathy for such reasons. That is the same as saying you want MA to not make a profit off mining or hunting or anything and get a 100% return (if not more) every time you do it. I don't hear ANYONE seriously thinking that MA or the Planet Partners are going to set it up so that every single person will always turn a profit when they craft, mine, hunt etc. Its just not reasonable and everyone knows it.

So if the only reason given is "I don't want to lose my peds" then MindArk and the Planet Partners are the biggest pirates of them all because they take money before it gets into the game, get a cut every time you do anything from dropping a probe to pulling the trigger or swinging your arm or even stepping on the gas or building a widget. All these more then likely will cause you to "lose peds".

And the fact is, some pirates enjoy hunting players and do it fairly with just their skills. Like it or not that is a true fact. Some don't and cheat and speed hack and stuff and MA needs to do a better job policing them.

And frankly I don't know why OTHER PIRATES don't start hunting these things down myself. To me, if I was a pirate that was skilled and did things straight and simply could smack targets because of it, I would take offense at these posers that need to use some gimmick or hack or exploit to try to look as good as me. And then I would beat their heads in every chance I got because not only are they making ME look bad and sucky because now, by association, I am doing the same thing when I am not...which lessens my claim of being the true master of space I am....they are poser wanna bes that really aren't even worthy of wiping the dew off my lilly much less claiming to be a "pirate".

But hey, that's me. Your mileage will vary...such is life.

8. Kitch

Kitch Member

lootable space is cool, its exciting, adds a whole new dimension and possibilities

not all pirates are scammers only some, lots of scammers aren't pirates..

Its illegal: are you all suggesting its illegal? :S I think ma would have checked first?! lol
    skills dont matter i wasted x yrs skilling: in other words now they made a game u cant win at so ur mad? pathetic, learn to fly ur quad then.
    u are forced: um no, its easy to avoid them if u plan it, in fact u can get between planets w/o entering pvp.. loggin off.

by adding space pvp there are so many possibilities like aliances to fight the pirates etc but u get frightened control freaks whining about it instead, using smart rhetoric to veil there obvious anxiety at the threat of dying in a fkn game.

the more open ended the game is, the better in the long run, please consider that

btw does everyone have to fill out the captcha every time?

thanks!
    kitch​

9. OZtwo

OZtwo Active Member

It would be interesting to test this which I'm guessing a lot really wouldn't want to. But from the beginning I was kind of on the side that this was and probably still is a ploy to try and get EU back in the news once again. Once this hits CNN MA can always turn around and say yes our game is great and we are working on this system to try and fix this issue. And soon after they simply turn off lootable space happy that they finally got that big headline news at the same time pissed that it took so long.

And again a lot forget what type of game this is. Other games, yes, this would be a fun system since well, it's FREE. But this type of game as it being a RCE well, costs real money to have fun like this and isn't free to play for hours shooting each other down. So kind of why this will never take off.

10. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I encourage you to set up one of these "alliances" to fight pirates and you'll discover--as many have before you--that fighting pirates is pointless and expensive.

1) They don't carry loot
    2) They just revive and in a minute they're back, all you've done is wasted peds shooting them down
    3) They use exploits

IMO the only way to deal with pirates is to "sweat" them. Fill up your quad to full SI, get them to follow you out of safe zone and see how many shots you can evade before they shoot you down. Repeat until you can't get them to follow you anymore. Make a game of it, count the shots and total up the amount of peds ammo you have taken from each pirate.

No, my guess is it's because your account is new.

11. strangelove

strangelove Member

Go to your profile page and type "no" in the box where it asks if ur a bot.

12. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I really resent that people who object to the current implementation are characterised as frightened control freaks who are whining. To re-iterate my concerns about lootable space I have two issues: 1. I have zero interest in pvp. No problem with it being in the game. If people want to shoot each other and there is property at risk well thats fine, it's their choice. But with Space I don't get that choice. I need to travel between planets for my in game business and I have to work around the pvp bullshit. Well that pisses me off. 2. IMO when someone shoots you and takes your stuff thats theft. I'm not talking about a legal issue but an ethical issue. I know there are those who argue that I consent to that when I enter space. I don't agree. It pisses me off that MA have chosen to manage aspects of the economy by enabling unethical behaviour. I accept that lootable space is here to stay. It's up to me to deal with it and manage my gameplay in a way that takes that into account. But I won't back away from my assertion that MA were wrong to implement it and that pirates are theives and parasites.

13. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

I agree with Neil here...and have talked at length about how to deal with pirates most effectively with others...

Just as in real life...make it where you are the least attractive target you can...let them chew you a few times and get the idea that all they are doing is wasting their PED messing with you and then they will find another place to invest their ped that is more "fun and profitable".

Even if they have 10,000 CLDs and get 50,000 ped a month...if it ain't fun to hunt you, they never get loot, and you don't bother with them...just treating them as another mob you can't kill right now because its too costly in time or ped...well, then they will get bored and figure out they can burn those ped and their time in other, more fun and/or profitable ways.

Besides, one fun thing about pirates shooting you down is this....they actually are HELPING you if you plan to be in space some..heh...they give you skill and get nothing but negative peds for their trouble. Just carry an RK5 and some welding wire with you at all times...after all...they can't loot either of them...:cowboy:

14. iAutolycus

iAutolycus New User

I enjoy pvp in all games and I'm all for PVP, it makes games exciting. If you don't like a game with pvp environment then go play Hello Kitty Online, lol. That being said. I am not a pirate, nor plan on being a pirate. I think that there should be a risk to pvp'ers though like most games. Here are some options.

1: Have your soc plan a day to fly around and have them waste their ammo and don't shoot back that way they just waste ammo. You can set up coy missions like, accidentally say in all chat that you are moving all your items to planet so and so in a popular launch places. Then just fly out and fly around get them to waste shot's and then use your RK-5 and get some skill. Laugh as they lose PED.

2: Have it were red players get auto attacked by space stations or other npc installations and have to pay a higher tax to land on a planet / restrict them from landing on SS and Planets. That being said also to add to the environment make a Pirate SS where they can land without any extra cost. What this does it makes them think twice about attacking as well as if they have to fly to a Pirate SS they have to worry about other pirates attacking them. Just like in real life, criminal's are always looking over their shoulders not knowing who will stab them in the back. Look at Ultima Online, fantastic game. Had it where if you were a pk you couldn't enter cities without guards killing you, but to make it fair for the pk's there was a city with no guards. It made the environment nice due to having a bank and storage at the same time you had no idea when or where an attack would come from cause everyone there were pk's.

3: Have a IFN Bounty System. Where players can get rewards for killing red players, people can put bounties on people or soc's. Sell Probes that will track down these targets and give a " General Location " of where they are. Also have it to where if a Pirate dies he loses X Amount of storage / PED or if he dies then he has to go to jail and pay PED to get out and pay PED to withdraw his ship from an impound. The nastier the pirate the more it cost. This makes the game more exciting where players can now fight back without risk of losing and gaining nothing, where as the pirate atm lose is little and gain a lot. It makes both styles of players step up their a game, cause who wants to risk going to jail and having their big bad ships impounded for attacking every noob that fly's into space. Again Star Wars Galaxy had an awesome Bounty System, that would give you general locations of where the player was but you still had to look for them. Also Voyage Century Hated pvp'ers but had that option. They had a Jail system that made it where you had a set time to sit in jail. I had 6+ months racked up when I finally got caught. So Making it where the pirate would have to pay PED to get out and the Ship Impound would simulate the real world mechanics.

15. Dan59

Dan59 Active Member

Why i hate pirates?
    Wait - but i dont hate only pirates
    I hate whole pvp space thingie.
    MA created space, sold motherships for big money and then created automatic estorsion model.
    If you dont pay MS then you will be shooted and ppl are suposed to pay extorsion to MS for not being shooted by pirates.
    MA also created some vired facilities like summon function without skill requrements, without decay and vithout energy or ammo or other consumption. So is easy to use summon endlesly as it dont cost anything and as evry noob without any skill can do it.
    On other side MA created pirate profession also without skill requerement and without any invvestment needed apart quad L and what it goes for shootng.
    That enviroment is great for all low life individuals as is easy to do many things without being punished.
    Even if someone (one of multiple alts ofc) get baned - what he loose?
    He lose an avatar old a week with no skills, and quad L and some ammo and tomorrow next alt will login and take his place.

I wud like to explore space.
    To hunt space mobs maybe too.
    To feel free to go there if i want and hunt, mine rocks , discower things.
    But knowing that i have pkers aming on my back dont let me so.
    I wud decide to use MS transport service to go to some point faster but not because im forced - to not being shooted.
    Also MA excuse that space is pvp lootable for stackables to save other planets local economy is wery poor excuse and half job done.
    Just think what we do by bringing infinite amount of mining amps, faps, guns to that planet ( 100% safe - not lotable items )
    Local noob miners and noob crafters cant compete with cheap Calypso crafted items done by high skilled crafters with BP QR 100, with cheap mining and hunting resources aviable from high skilled Calypso miners and hunters.
    So who to hate?
    First of all MA who did it in this way.
    And after that anyone else who wanted it like that - so at first place reselers/traders, then lowlife oportunist/pirates and MS owners.
    All they have something of whole situation except normal players - they have only one thing - to pay wich ever side they chose.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Xandra

Xandra Active Member Pro Users

Hi,

If you are, as you said, all for PvP, why do you play EU?

What we have here as so called "PvP" is a bad joke, compared to real PvP games. On planet, all that counts is money - buy skills & PvP gear, and you get your "I win" button. In space, it's full of hacks and exploits - be ruthless enough, don't care for a ban, make another alt when they get you. It's no big deal to do so.

PvP as I see it is different. It's about an even play ground, personal skill and competition of it, not about competition of purse size and/ or competition of the better hacks or the more ruthless exploiting.

What we have in EU is, IMHO, a ridiculous "Hello Kitty Online" version of PvP, catering to people that woudn't get a leg on the ground in a real PvP game. And that would get their cute behind spanked over and over, would they have to compete without their purse, and without their hacks and exploits.

Would they have a competitive mind, real skill and some self-respect, they wouldn't play this sad parody of PvP that EU offers.

My 2 PEC's, your mileage may vary.

Have fun!

17. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

Well the problem with #2 is the Karma system doesn't really work well. I have seen pirates (known by name to be pirates) go green and blue from red. I have seen known "good" players turn red too. So MA needs to get the Karma system fixed before doing that.

That was one of the things I was talking about when I said "having IFN KOS Death Stars" more or less...its a huge nerf pickle. One I would prefer not to see added in.

A bounty system would be nice I think....that would make it where "Heroes" would have a reason to shoot down pirates but, where would this PED come from? Remember, this is a RCE..not a standard MMO where the money don't matter and just builds up. This is real money we are talking about. And each bounty has to come from somewhere.

Now, perhaps making it where PLAYERS can set bounties on someone might work but then...you get the problem of the pirates simply waiting till they get a nice bounty on each other and then shooting each other down...so the pirates get the bounty. Setting it so that if only "good" players can collect a bounty would work if the Karma system was working right. Which its not....

Lastly, you have to remember...pirates are not doing anything "wrong" in hunting people in space and killing and looting them. MA even uses it as a selling point in their marketing of the game, saying its a "easy and cheap way to learn PvP"...so while many ppl don't like being looted...its probably a good bet that its not going to go away anytime soon.

On a side note, I actually have talked to some folks and if a pirate (or pirate group) got smart they could really improve their methods to be more effective and never have to set foot on a space station anywhere. But that would take a rather HUGE investment of real world money to pull off and it could change overnight so...I'm not overly worried.

18. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

@Dan59

You know, I have flown in an unarmed Sle between Caly and Ark, including FOMA and CP...more times then I can count.

I have been shot down ONE TIME and that was because I didn't care if I got shot down...hell, it was worth it to me I got 4 skills bumped for a whopping .02 reduction on my Sle...the freaking one mob that shot me did .05...

If ppl would just use a little brain juice you can bypass pirates pretty easy most of the time and the few times you can't "fly" you simply wait a bit or go back to the planet for 7 ped TP and earn the money back doing selling, mining or sweating.

In fact, nobody HAS to go to space....you can live your entire EU life on a single planet. If you WANT to go to other planets, then buy a warp and avoid the pirates...consider it the "air fare" to get to the next "country" you want to visit.

19. strangelove

strangelove Member

Pirates waste my time. I like to go when I like to go so if it meant paying 50 - 100 ped to do it, I would likely do so.

That said, I've built up inventory on several planets so I don't carry stackables unless you count dung. When I want to visit another planet, I will fill up auction and wait for my ped to hit my card. I can usually survive until things sell.

As for the pirates, if they waste my time, I will waste their ped. Attack the ship I am on and I will repair like crazy to give the impression we are carrying goods.

Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose the "battle" but we always waste their ped. :cool:

CO

20. Dan59

Dan59 Active Member

@Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer
    Thank you for info.
    I fly by my own too.
    As i mentioned i will pay warp if i will need to trawel fast and not because someone cud shoot me down.
    As for litle brain juice - well thank you for that too.
    Addventure and freedom to explore is restricted because of possible harashment - ie pking and vasting my time.
    Is not point on bypassing them.
    Its more question why one shud be their prey or their fun for free.
    I invited them long time a go in another forum and is still valid.
    Anyone who have so desperated urge and needs to shoot me - he can do it on planet in ring if he pay enought.
    And can have me on disposition, killing me all time as long as he pay for his fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.