1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you hate pirates?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by lyosha, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiffon Jaguar

Chiffon Jaguar Member

Well Chip, I rather hate pirates. Why? It isn't because they're a nuisance, or that they waste time. Neither that it takes an hour to get from one planet to another, and in the beginning, you're automatically killed by a pirate (most of the time.) They shoot down your ship forcing you to bring a repair tool every time. On top of that, the ridiculous amount of waiting time you need to go through after being shot down is really quite long. Also that the respawn terminal needs to put you on a "Hold."

No, most of those things are actually not that bad. They can be avoided. It's just that, Mind Ark created something itself really REALLY stupid. No offense to those who've dedicated their lives to stealing other peoples goods and having a kick out of it. That aspect is really cool. It's just that, it's literally the ONLY thing for pirates to do. They can't board Motherships and steal their stuff, they need to be approved into their friends list to even be on the ship. You can't have big Mothership battles that require people to fly to their ships and board the other persons mother ship and start a PVP war inside the ship because - THEY NEED TO BE APPROVED INTO THEIR FRIENDS LIST - It would be the coolest thing! It's so doable too! So, everytime I see pirates, I think of how much use they could be somewhere else. Instead of just wasting everyones time. There's nothing honorable about it, they're just dicks. No matter how many times it happens, everytime I get shot down (sometimes I try to fight back, or just jump the gun when they're not looking) but when every I get shot down. They're instantly labeled as a DICK.

But, I actually love dogfights, they're the best thing ever, but when I' get shot down. I quickly realize that I've wasted time, and these jerkbags that determined everybody is to be shot down because they might have loot. Is entirely idiotic. Who besides the people looking for an epic thrill with the money to spend, would ACTUALLY try to transport goods? I mean, they go to a mothership to be transported because of that. Those motherships should be the ones getting attacked, boarded, having hostages taken, making demands, etc... Amazing!

Anyways, there's my rant. Sorry I called every pirate out there a dick, it's just what I think of you when I spend time in the revival terminal for several minutes. My avatar, standing, doing nothing. Me, smashing my head against the keyboard with keys flying in every direction. So don't mind me. :)

That's what I think of Pirates. :D

2. Svarog

Svarog Member

I don't have anything against piracy as an ingame activity and of course don't whine after been killed and looted. If I'd have to cast the vote should the piracy be removed from the game or not I'd vote "no".

But I also see the hatred towards pirates as natural thing. If you chose to be a pirate you have to accept everything that comes with it. You can't be a pirate from 10am to 5pm and a nice guy from 5pm to midnight, partying with those you killed during the day. You can't expect to be accepted in non-pirating societies or be trusted in any way. Be satisfied with the very fact that the cities' turrets don't shoot you on sight :)

3. lyosha

lyosha Member

Translation: I love dogfights when I win, and I am not a dick at all when I win. When I loose, I rant about how much I hate dogfights(due to my lack of skill), because these dicks just have better skill than I do.

4. lyosha

lyosha Member

Wouldn't that be just awesome? The turrets would have to be attackable/repairable tho.

5. Ori'sWorld

Ori'sWorld Well-Known Member

Here's my two scents worth!! i like the fact my avatar and others can be killed and\or looted! in some areas :) adds a bit of extra danger and excitement when mining! especially when i find a large claim in pvp! all im watching when mining up the big one! is the radar for green dots! and yes! my avatar (Ori) has been victim to the odd pirate and sniper shot over the years! though! thats ok! if i go mining in pvp then i need to accept the percentage of running into a pirate or taking a sneaky shot to the head.............

6. Nobleone

Nobleone Member

"but thanks to the pvp addicts on the MA staff that isn't going to happen."

That there just about says it all...

7. Stagger

Stagger Member

nuff said.

8. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

I like pirates for simple reasons:
    If i see them, or vice versa I know they will come at me thus no element of suprise.

If I shoot them down I'll prolly get loot. I like pirate loot, seems shinyer.
    :)

If they shoot me down, they will never get anything but a dung - or another pirate's loot.
    PLUS, I get skills.

Heck, a lot of time I might not even have ammo and I can fly well enough to make them spend a LOT of ammo 'till they finally get me (I even have a couple give up/get lost..)

The time "wasted" is never a problem to me...If I am in a quad, i am in no hurry.

If I was in a hurry, I'd buy a warp.

Ofc I know a couple pirates and they actually pretty cool peeps - for being pirates and all.
    Not that this is the reason they sometimes/usually don't even shoot at me...I think it's the whole wasting ammo to get AJ's dung part.
    :D

Just don't bring loot and let 'em waste ammo/decay...Make 'em attack a MS...Hell, if I am on an MS I'll man a gun and shoot at 'em.
    If they "repeat" kill ya, well so thet're a dick...Lots of them in EU, ya can't be suprised.
    Just log off for a few.

Why make it so exaggerated when it's really a simple solution?

Tippin'

9. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Active Member

10. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Im wondering if Bjorn is a fan of stepping out his door to go to work or to visit family in the morning and catching a beat down for the money in his pocket and having his car destroyed as the robbers get away with it. Pretty much the same thing.

I go into space to go to Caly to visit my family (Soc) and have an asshole being well.. an asshole.

The whole thing is MA is generally about the robber baron mentality anyway so they really wouldnt be able to rationally think this thru no matter what. After all they havent worked to earn their money since VU 10.

11. Aliana

Aliana New Member

I hate pvp and never bother with it. I have spent years avoiding pvp zones on caly because of this. I had options to go around to enjoy the non pvp areas. I was never forced to go through them to get to the non pvp area I wanted to explore. I never carry lootables with me because I'll be damned if I'll reward anyone with even so much as a fraction of pec for the behavior that takes place in lootable pvp zones. I hate pirates because they take advantage of a sucky situation created by MA whereby they violate my person and personal space. That is how I feel about it and there is nothing anyone can say to change that because it is a feeling and you can't reason with feelings. It is what it is. I did not volunteer for this. I have been subjected to it due to no other option. It would be the same as the world being built in a way that the only way to get from point A to point B was down dark alleys with questionable individuals in attendance and no police protection. I want nothing to do with this crap.

As reinforcement to that concept, I hunt mobs that don't kill me as much as possible. In 6.5 years, I have never bought a toxic shot. I have been to the rig only once to see what it looked like. All of that is optional.

I'm very pissed off with MA because they mislead me. They left me with the impression that we were going to get new planets that we could freely explore, then stuck it to us without lube with their btw space is lootable pvp after they installed the download for it. All those months of anticipation wasted. Friday is the first time I have come to Arkadia and I have only flown once before to RT. Freely does not mean being subjected to someone else's schedule (MS) nor does it mean being subjected to disruption by anyone else.

As much as MA wants to tell us that separating the economies of the planets is working, I don't buy it. How can they know what's working if they never bothered trying anything else? Considering I have only taken that one trip to RT and the economy over there is almost non existent because of too low of a population and Arkadia being just a little better in its auction activity than RT from what I've seen so far, how can they call that "working"? I don't think it's working at all. I think quite the opposite. I would have traveled to these locations much more than I have if I really truly was able to explore freely.

I'm pissed off about being mislead. I'm pissed off about getting shot down every time it happens and gratefully it's only happened once. In fact just the idea of being at risk of being shot down pisses me off. I'm pissed off that I miss things like the Gold Rush because I won't even bother to look at other places until I know I have enough ped to support the building of a whole new storage. The entire thing sucks and I personally think that 100% lootable PVP space is the worst decision MA has ever made.

I would happily boycott anyone who infringed upon me by being a pirate as was discussed in some posts earlier. The problem is that others who are as passionate as I am about this mess don't know who the pirates are because we do a lot to avoid running into them. A proper boycott can't take place until a list of avatar names of known pirates is published. If this has already been done, I haven't come across it.

12. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

My own thoughts and opinions aside, you make some very valid points.

We also did try to establish a section where the Space Knights and Pirates lists and role play etc could be maintained, but as usual in such things, there were a few that caused such waves and flame eruptions that it became too much of a headache for the Mod team to supervise...that and people just wouldn't stick to the rules that were clearly established.

We might try it again sometime in the future, but TBH I doubt it...The PAF Staff simply don't have the time or inclination to set it up again and police it; none of us want the inevitable headache that comes with it. Being Mods/Admins is a thankless job at the best of times and we simply don't want the additional aggravation that a section like this brings with it again.

13. Lazz

Lazz Active Member

Pirates and Pkers in lootable zones is THIVES and CRIMINALS imo.
    U take stuff from others that dont belong to u period...
    Sure i can chose to dont go into a PvP zone, but in space i have no choice.
    There is no defence imo for someone to take my stuff in any place, its pure a act of criminal behavior and that i cant and newer will suport!
    Pure and simple!
    Regards
    Lazz

14. Lazz

Lazz Active Member

I fullu understand that the staff that hadle this forum are unvaible to handle this kind of things, this is a a issue that NONE is able to handle imio.
    It is only 2 ways to do it: let it loose..... or NOT acting at it at all.
    U dont have to ask me what i prefer, ofc i dont like this at any kind to be a acepted behavior in our lovely univerce.
    I like us to be friends and act like that, but sure i also understand that its a UTOPIA from me that newer will happen sadenly.
    I Stay there and hope someone atleast will understand what i try to mean here :)

U may call me a old hippie i sure can live with that ;)
    I still in the mod to hope we can be here as friends and not as enemies for the rest of our times here ;)
    Cheers
    Lazz

15. Sirhc

Sirhc Member

There should be non lootable PVP space lanes to travel from planet to planet in my opinion. I also think space should be full of NPC ships and characters that travel from zone to zone. If you are a pirate then its more difficult to travel because the NPCs don't trust you nor do the players. Space could be so much more fun in my opinion. I have spent hours playing X3 and prior to that freelancer and prior to that Privateer so I know what I like when it comes to a space sim.

EU space is clunky and boring with basically the same PVP mechanics we have planet side. There is very little customization of the ships and static creature spawns just irk me at times. Make it a true space sim about actual flying and dog fighting skills it might be more appealing.

Now that being said I don't enter a lootable PVP zone with any stackables I am not willing to lose. Hence why pirates usually get one poo from me for all their trouble. I would rather TT all my items on a planet I will not go back to instead of carry them through space so someone more than likely using an exploit to steal from me.

I understand why MA made space all lootable PVP. I don't like it when they don't allow a planet economy to develop by shifting resources or items from one to the other.

I don't necessarily hate pirates but I don't like the system that has created them nor do I care for it when they whine about things being "unfair". Buck it up your a pirate own it or don't do it. I don't think Black Beard would have whined about how unfair things were in his time. I can remember a time when I decided to be a full time pirate in X3: The Threat....I could not enter a system with out being attacked or scanned and then attacked it was difficult but I made my way through it and even took down a few systems for my very own Yar! lol

16. VanLot

VanLot New Member

Its good i am pirate and proud of it. If there will be safe to fly in space there no need an ms services. Game should be more like real world. In real world you cant hold one ton resources and items in pockets or logoff.

17. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

You're proud to be a parasite and a thief. Awesome. It's simply super that you are looking out for the viability of motherships. But it's unfortunate that its honest players that have to pay.

18. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

Personal feelings:
    No because your pockets isn't that big, but also if some robber come and rob me IRL there are something called Police that is there to help you get back whats stolen and also make sure the robber can be punished, usually by some sort of safekeeping from the rest of the society.

So sure be pirates but then be prepared to face the consequences, maybe 2weeks temp ban for a robbery of 100ped (and going up if you steal more ofc) and for smaller thefts and just pure harassment you get a ban from all areas outside of a 1au distance from your pirate base for a few days or a week (aka home irl)

Also in most countries (if not all) the government are the only ones that's allowed to run a Police force and as I see it the closest we have to Governments are MindArk so would be very easy for them to catch the robber after the robbery is reported through some police channels like we usually have irl too (within a certain amount of time)

Or instead of temp bans (as we dont want people to not play) a fine to return what was stolen and 10% fee to a fund to help the victims through the hard times after a robbery

and if you dont want to face the consequences then stop bringing up "it should work more like rl"

Post below:
    I think you misunderstood me, police isn't always out there when crimes happen but they do investigate when a crime is committed and then seek out the robber (in this case) no matter where they might find him, so no need for ships for MA since they have the logs where the victim and the robber where when the reported crime should have occurred. (similar to electronic surveillance in todays society)

19. VanLot

VanLot New Member

Police wont save you in space now, because they not have crafts.
    Game should be more real width no logoff and other mistakes made by ma.
    If you thinking no one fly in space after log fix then think twice because know many traders who cant wait for it and drop some competitors in auction house.

20. Sugar.L

Sugar.L New Member

Well I post abt this b4 on one of our many other forums we have here :rolleyes: anywhooo.... I tried to read all comments but :cowboy: View attachment 6664 :cool: So I am this morning:coffee: and reading :fineprint:, wow... what a list of stuff. I just want to say ..Ma (too much like mom lol) has to have a hard time tryin to pacify all players.. which will never happen.. You can't please everyone :huh: but the majority is as best as we can hope for. I am wondering if Ma could possibly give the pirates ( no name callin inserted...:whistle:) lol anyway , Is it possible to give them the middle area around the training grounds and around the planets you have a border that says you are not allowed to enter here... If your quad has a gun on it you are not allowed on the outer areas close to planets.. just to the middle.. that way all mobs, pirates, n pvp is contained... so that those of us who choose...... yes we want a choice too!:soangry:So that we can fly , build our skills, or just have the enjoyment of flying in space without the headache, the added stress of looking around for a person hiding behind a planet or zoomin on you with a ul quad that late comers like myself will never have ( heard ul is faster than L)... the quads should b have an adjustment where the guns can be removed when near planets .. same as the 2 ped fee to enter a planet. That way if ur within their space of the middle... by choice then we are fair game.. but at least give the rest of us an edge of space too...:eek:. I know Ma has a desk full of mess to sort out but add this for at least a consideration... :surrender: would hate to see all the unhappy customers return and auction quads n boycott space.. we all would be losing.:shrug:.. My lil 2 cents for the day ... rip rodney....can't we all just get along?..:huh: happy hofing yall:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.