1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Browser is Best for ArkadiaForum?

Discussion in 'About Arkadia Forums' started by Admin, May 24, 2011.

1. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

Everybody in the world is different. We all have our preferences, and some, if not all of us, are usually afraid of change.

ArkadiaForum runs differently on different browsers, but the forum software (vBulletin) has been programmed in such a way that it at least attempts to make itself look good on all browsers. This of course means there are some trade offs between the browsers.

The activities you do on the forum may dictate which is the best browser for you to use, so lets look at it from a couple of activity based views. Under each will be a list of browsers sorted by Best first. This list only includes browsers that I have tested and used.

Normal involved user
    Spend most of their forum time reading and writing, but spend very little time uploading images and attachments. For these, I would rate the browsers as such:
    1. RockMelt
    2. Google Chrome
    3. Firefox
    4. Safari
    5. Internet Explorer
    Reasoning for #1 choice: Rockmelt and Google Chrome run the same technology and are not resource hungry. RockMelt also integrates with all your social networking so it's easy to share great threads with your friends.

Heavy Image or Attachment Uploader
    The same as a normal user but love to get involved with image uploads etc for competitions. For these, I would rate the browsers as such:
    1. Firefox
    2. Rockmelt
    3. Google Chrome
    4. Safari
    5. Internet Explorer
    Reasoning for #1 choice: While Chrome/Rockmelt are faster, Firefox supports the AJAX feature which allows great functionality when uploading images and also a WYSIWYG text input.

Conclusions
    I normally use Rockmelt for everyday browsing and forum work, however when it comes to doing ANYTHING image related, I load up Firefox and use that. Regardless of performance, I use the browser combination that meets my needs.

For more information about browsers and their statistics, please visit: Internet Browser Software Review 2011

2. MindStar9

MindStar9 Deactivated User

I definitely use Firefox, and especially now since I will be uploading images quite frequently. :)

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

3. Danski Dan

Danski Dan New Member

4. Lee DeLioncourt

Lee DeLioncourt Arkadian Outrider Platinum Member

I used to use FF the most, but the last few upgrades kinda put me off it so I went back to IE for most browsing. However you and I both know that the new IE (9) sucks big time, and I am unable to use it if I want to read the front page at AF, so I use FF for that now or simply don't try to read from the front page :) I am going to try RM, but I have several different accounts on social media sites for different purposes, personal, work, even an avi one on FB, so I'm not sure how that would work on RM since the accounts are not linked?

I don't mind change or new things at all, just also one who isn't in the rush to have the latest and greatest things either, so prefer to keep my browser use down to 2 if possible :)

5. Danton

Danton Active Member Pro Users

FF on Win and Linux. (sometimes opera)
    Rockmelt is to close to social networks for me, and be sure, you *don't* want to hear my opinions about facebook, twitter and other crap :) :)

6. Teiwaz

Teiwaz Member

FireFox FTW! Both on win7 and linux.
    Strongly recommended two add-ons - NoScript + Adblock Plus - and you are almost safe ;)