1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is wrong with mining!

Discussion in 'Mining' started by ruskea, Jul 3, 2014.

1. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

Whenever someone says he can do better then you in this game, it is always good to check out how they do it, and test if for a while for yourself to see if it helps you. No matter how rediculous it sounds to you. I've been playing this game for a looong time, and i'm still learning new stuff every month. Worst thing that can happen is that you get stuck on doing something in a specific way because it worked 5 years ago, the game changes and you have to adapt.

2. atomicstorm

atomicstorm Platinum Member Platinum Member

Lbml gives you visual understanding if what you're doing and helps tracking and logging. In some aspects, you can devise strategies that will help you mine more efficiently. Consider it a radar attachment to your finder. If you don't use it, you risk losing efficiency on your finder.

I've always said mining seems to be tuned to the existence of lbml such that it almost becomes required. Do I agree with that? No. There are ways that MA could remove that need but they won't be doing those. If you don't use it or have some righteous indignation about using any aids for ego reasons or whatever.. then that is your own prerogative and you accept the risk that it gives you... including but not limited to, lower returns due to bad calculations or any other case.

3. ruskea

ruskea Member

i say it again that i have mined for 8 years and i know what my finders range is.. and just to inform u i DID use the old "LBML" back in the days.. i dont know if its still the same maker on the new one.. and yea it was all fancy and stuff but it didnt make me get an extra 25% to tt return

4. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Well genius if you would have completed school and not played so many video games, you would not have failed reading comprehension and understand what I post.

Simple math states that If I say "During events" tt returns drop 34% to give an average around 60 % returns normal thinking people would deduce that normal returns are around 94% but I guess you cant grasp that concept if someone isn't straight line bombing for your society using LBML.

Again I state.. REAL miners already have their own maps and do not need LBML to hand others their efforts so they can go find all the good stuff for ZERO learning cost that the rest of us that have been here for years had to do. I suggest before you enter debates about mining you go back to night school for an English class or two so you can understand things and opinions before you talk shit about them.

AS far as mining when there are events going I haven't done that in a LONG time other then rare occasions to see if the Mindarkian way of thinking has changed to something more realistic (which by the way it STILL has not after 10+ years.). When I see signs of an event happening I stop playing EU and go do other things like play other games. Lately there are so many events running its not even worth logging in to EU anymore which is why I and many others are debating to sell out and buy deeds and just leech from EU from now on.

5. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Interesting discussion.....but the nastiness that is permeating it is getting a bit out of hand and pushing things off topic. Bring a bit of civility back to the table please chaps so the discussion can continue.:fineprint:

6. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I've said it before, and hopefully this will be the last time: "mining maps" are not relevant to mining efficiency. That is not the primary use of LBML.

Yes, loot can dip way down to 80% during events because of the lack of globals, but not 60%. I would propose that "real miners" are the ones who know how to get the best returns, no?

As I said before, anyone can learn to mine well, though not everyone has the patience for mining. I've only had to "fire" a handful of miners because of low returns, most of whom were getting low returns because they were "skimming".

I would also appreciate if you would go back and edit out the insults from your post.

</advice>

7. ruskea

ruskea Member

so u said that u log 100 ppl returns.. and they all had around 95% return.. i was talking with friend about this and i really came to conclusion that u chose those 100 because they had some luck.. instead of going 100 random so no wonder ur ppl are doing fine..

but in the first place this was about TT return.. markup is different.. and like trina said... i DO have my own maps and logs where i can see what I can find with MY finders and amps and where... but it the end it was about tt return without overlapping bombs

8. Neil

Nope, that is incorrect. Most of the people I hire are new players, so have no history of activity. After training, new miners, whether they're brand new or experienced, get normal TT returns right out of the gate.

The only factors I evaluate potential miners on are: reputation (for an older player), if they seem responsible, can communicate well, and can follow directions, and of course use acceptable techniques. Luck is not a factor at all. As I said, I only had to let a few go (half a dozen), about half were because of scamming, one because they turned to piracy, and a couple because of inability to follow directions or other personality issues etc. So really only one avatar I let go because of unexplained bad TT returns but at the time I didn't have the tools to detect scamming, if they were working for me now they would not have been let go.

I really am not joking when I say anyone can learn to mine well. Luck is not really a factor if you're looking long term. I've had a number of players go through long periods of "bad luck". Our current record is one miner dropped over 20k ped unamped dropped without a single global. As long as they're using good techniques, bad luck periods are OK, they will end eventually.

9. anthonymorris

anthonymorris Platinum Member Platinum Member Arkadia Adviser

Though I would add my input as I see the LBML being praised as the best thing since beans & bacon.

But to address the main issue everyone has noticed a drop in mining returns when events are present. But for some players to say that some others are doing it wrong when they have been mining for some 8+years at a great success is just silly. If they have been doing well for that long don’t you think they have adapted to the changes? I would say yes.

And you guys are promoting the LBML like it is the new no exercise diet pill that you must have to succeed. I personally have been trying to get the LBML to run for almost 1.5 years now and well it has yet to work for me or to even download properly. As this might work well for some there are a lot out there that this LBML does not work for. It is supposed to track your claims and blah blah blah. But what I have heard is a lot of players can’t get it to work for one reason or another.

And if it was far more superior to everyone else’s strategies, why are there only 493 active users out of the 2600 they have? And I think some of those 2600 are people like me who signed up and have as yet to get it to work. So please don’t judge someone on their method when the one you use does not work for all. And as for the ones using it, if it helps you GRTZ but don’t tell someone else that what they are doing it wrong. Especially when some players have been around and doing it longer than most of the so called horn tooting pro’s.

What works for one person does not work for the next that’s what makes this game unique; we all have different ways of doing things. And unless you have an inside look at how loot is distributed or this is done or that is done, then you guess on how it works is just as oblivious as the next self-proclaimed pro.

Example: I’ve been skilling beauty for 4 years and a guy who started 2 months ago told me I was doing it wrong and his method was better. I was like cool, share me the info please he explained I was using to little mats when I did my skilling lol. His idea was if I used 2X the amount of mats like he does, I would get 2X the amount of skill increase. That was so cute I found it hard to contain myself. What he did not know is that as your skills increase you get less skill gains as you do when you first start out. I tried to explain this to him but he was of course far more knowledgeable than I was in beauty seeing how I was only doing it for 4 years and he has been doing it for 2 months and read (somewhere) how to skill.

So the moral is we all have different ways of doing things and there is not ONE sure fine way of doing it right, because what you think is right for you might not be what is right for others.

And I will leave you with this tidbit to ponder; who's to say these guys mining without LBML does not have a great system or spreadsheet that can pinpoint you to a find within 5m? Have you even tested their way of doing it or do you think that your way is far more superior than there’s and that you don’t have to try? Who seems like the arrogant one here? Maybe they have tried LBML, and like for so many other players it just did not download or work.:huh:

10. Cyborg Bill

The reading comprehension fail was not an insult mate merely a suggestion based in fact as you seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to yourself and mining.

When there is NOT an event running I am nearly always with in + or minus 5 ped tt spent unless I am out mapping another area.

Im going to give you all something to test to see if your maps and tracking is actually worth a dam.

IF your maps are accurate and you have half a clue as to what you are doing you WOULDNT be straight line mining. ALL resources are in clustered areas with the areas between having NOTHING now. (not even a random luck claim between like pre VU 10) Go straight to the areas of your clusters. and drop.. when you hit a claim change finders and drop for a different kind / set of resources.. go to that claim change and repeat.. Its EXTREMELY easy to get a ton of finds all within the two rings of radar if you have half a clue where stuff is.

All the straight line bombing with one finder is good for is generating decay and loss at a faster rate thus completing the cause for high ped cycling and high loss to generate the bells. THAT has not one thing to do with how good a miner you are. That is just either lack of knowledge or OCD gambling issues underlying laziness and greed.

11. Neil

If someone is doing well (>95% TT returns) the way they're doing it then I say keep doing it that way. If someone is getting less than that then I'd say try something different until you get it.

12. Neil

Reading comprehension is a funny thing. ;) I never said that we use straight line mining (whatever that is), that was something you speculated on your own. Of course we use LBML to target clusters where they are present, however, the pattern a miner uses only has ~3% affect on TT return as long as they don't overlap drops. More important is recognizing when an area is below normal hit rate, which can indicate a miner had just passed through or MA is being stingy. Any overlap of drops, even if small, reduces TT return down below 100% TT return on probes spent. This is the most accurate statistic for calculating TT returns since it ignores tool decay, and 100% is the target you should shoot for.

If you're saying that claims are in persistent clusters from run to run, then that's incorrect. Claims can spawn anywhere and those who carpet bomb regions over and over enough times and use LBML or plot a map of claims manually have the pictures to show that. If you target areas where you previously found claims, of course your map will look as if claims only come in persistent clusters :)

13. atomicstorm

I think that lbml is offtopic a bit but worth discussing. I have found lbml to be picky with how it works because it uses ocr and requires objects to be in certain places. There are videos on YouTube to address that challenge. I'm sure people have used laminated maps, ledger sheets, spreadsheets, etc. But that is too much work when there are tools available to you now.

In the end, it is advice. Take it not leave it.. but if you leave it, don't expect sympathy for complaining and whining about your returns for doing the same thing over and over again. If all that anyone is capable of doing it is expressing epeen and throwing insults.. then you never wanted help at all but rather just an apparatus to whine. Leave the flaming to PCF.

14. atomicstorm

Reading comprehension comment is aggressive and is an insult however I can see about a dozen other comments that are worse. We can't have a debate and a civil discussion if those participating cannot contain their disguised or obvious jabs.

15. Cyborg Bill

Its internet.. too many kiddiots and substance abusers with no grasp on reality and normal thought processes have access thus denying any potential for real debates and discussions.

Neil it seems you are in your own little world so have fun there. Just try and keep the <deleted> to a minimum and for gods sake stop mentioning LBML in every other sentence you type. You will agitate me less and thus slow me down on wanting to get in yer face over it.

16. ruskea

ruskea Member

ive tried every freaking theory and mining style/strategy.. some have worked for while but in the end we come to the conclusion that i just got lucky that few times while trying some of those theorys.. all tho when i used the old "LBML" no one said it was must for huge tt return it was simply a tool to map ur claims which i was intrested to try

17. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

Well, at least you tried :)

18. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Exactly, hence my previous NICELY worded post asking for it to stop.
    Yes, maybe I wasn't strong enough in my tone though for it to get through to some people.

Guys, I don't care who it is or who said what, when or how. I've already asked that the nastiness and the off topic posts in this thread stop. If I see one more to that effect then I'll close the thread and issue infractions to the person or persons involved.

I also don't want to see another post lording the merits of one method/app/program/tool over other methods nor counter claims about peoples method of mining strategy unless it connects directly to the topic of this thread.

Everyone has their own way of doing things and what is right or wrong is purely subjective unless you are willing to post and share complete logs and figures to support your side of the debate. If you do want to, then thats great, but start a thread of your own and debate its merits or shortcomings there, not here.

I will not ask nicely again.

19. ruskea

ruskea Member

snape i think u killed this whole thread :C there was still few key aspects i was waiting to hear which im surprised that i havent heard yet.. but i think because of this new mining system im yet to see these few reason being brought out why im having such low tt return

20. ruskea

ruskea Member

todays been a great mining day again.. first run 50% return and second run was under 40%.. totalling for about -550ped.. then i see one person pulling out 8 rare sootos in 1 day.. (again).. how the hell