1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you personal thoughts on PVP

Discussion in 'PvP' started by anthonymorris, Jan 30, 2014.

1. wournos

wournos Active Member

This was for the most part an interesting read. My standpoint is to hell with PvP. I have never cared for it nor will I ever care for it as long as it may result in me losing hard earned items. PvP should be completely optional, which space currently isn't (my opinion!). If there were safe routes I, and possibly more players, would travel between planets more.

In response to pirates lurking near SS for success all I have to say is: COWARDS!

2. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

I think pvp in general is a total fail in a video game. More so in EU as its based on real money. In my personal experience I have yet to EVER meet a pvp'r that doesn't cheat to win in some form or other. Either by using games physical limitations or by flat out haxing. Then there is the whole ping thing. In a game like EU where they cant get a reliable server system operating let alone one where more then 5 people can be in the same area without any issues trying to fight another person especially where money loss is involved. EU pvp is strictly limited to people with criminal or mental issues stemming from various addictions.

• Like Like x 2
  3. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

Terrible implementation!!!!!

Need to fix network latency issues, fastest ping times always get huge upper hand. Hands down worst PvP game I have ever played because of latency issues.

To many bugs and exploits being used for it to be a viable aspect to a RCE type game engine. Most notable in PVP4.

Next target selection option, targeting period, target indicators and 3rd person camera need to be eliminated in all PVP area's. Should be force to be first person only and fire with manual aiming and shooting only, your target should be visual only no text or health indicators at all. This alone would make 3rd party software harder to program and use because there is less for the app to pickup on and allow safe shots without extra ammo burn etc. You want a PvP FPS make one instead of doing this crap implementation that is in place.

Radar should be completely removed from screen in any PVP area where radar is to be not used, coordinates can be obtained with the Position Key (P). Server side should send this enforcement to hide the radar every 500ms or less or with every packet to enforce no-one can workaround seeing the radar image period.

Just some of the issues and thoughts I have with PvP in EU

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  4. Few Scars

Few Scars Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Arkadia Adviser

As a privateer owner I travel daily between planets and get the occasional nibble from pirates. I do agree there should be safe corridors through space. MA could even create Toll ways owned by players so you could pay a small fee to fly across space safely in your QUAD.
    With respect to the fact that real money is involved, that's where I find it crosses the line. I tend to agree that rather than the player losing their loot, a general loot is generated based on the usual loot engines. We all have personal opinions on this topic, but it all boils down to where space is currently. I would expect there to be a massive development of space in the future for EU to compete with other big space MMOs.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. mastermesh

mastermesh Active Member

Planet Micheal should have come with dance off pvp that was free to do anywhere, anytime... with loot from it only being reputation points or something, not ped. That's about the only pvp that should be in game... not the bullshit that is right now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Spike Black

Spike Black Active Member

As an old Unreal Tournament 2k player which I still believe is the king of PC PVP games, I can wholeheartedly say that EU is no where near as good.

EU is too slow and hits have no relation to where you're aiming on the target if at all as you only have be near to get a hit and you can miss from point blank range. EU is not even close to the combat experience of UT which is 14 years old.

As for space combat then you only have to look at Tie Fighter or Xwing Alliance to see how it should be done. Do we have joystick support in EU for flight because you can't really fly anything with a mouse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dan59

Dan59 Active Member

For certain ores and enmaters you know where they are found with or without name of lucky player.
    For example if is pyrite hof you know is not on RT zombies but must be in lootable PvP.
    Do we need forced display name of luckyy guy ? Maybe we shud ask MA for exact coords to be displayed at hof time too?

For hunting we are always able to turn off display of name on globals and hofs on planets and on space.
    Just make team and change team name offten.

As for displaying global and hof in style "xxxasshole killed xxxVictim and looted yyy with value zzz" - for what you need that?
    That dont mean possibility that other will hunt that xxxasshole to loot him.
    You know how pkers/pirates work? All cheats are in their hands including some ingame features.
    Just one of many modes - always teamed, always with hmm .. healer in safe zone with loot settings 100% to healer - planetary or in space.

8. WhiningSkeptic

WhiningSkeptic Active Member

There is one quite big flaw in your argumentation. You're comparing apples with ball sacks.

I played a lot of FPS games as well, new and old, but I would never compare them with the PVP in EU. That's basically like comparing the PVP of UT2K with the PVP elements of Bubble Witch Saga.

EU has never been, never will, a FPS shooter. It is a strategy game.

9. Rakanua

Rakanua New Member

On the occasion of the upcoming changes to space, here is my opinion :)

I'm usually not interested in PvP and I usually avoid games where PvP is a big part of the gameplay.

I don't mind the optional PvP zones (I mostly ignore them), but space, to me, is just annoying.

As I have no intention of shooting back, I just go afk and check back in 30 minutes. If shot down, I repair and continue my journey while I'm afk again. Repeat until arrival.

That said, if the upcoming space changes bring something new to space (missions) and manage to make it more fun and rewarding for me to be there, I might actually start taking part in PvP actively (going to space for fun), on the passive side (still no intention of shooting anyone - or at least I wont be stealing any stackables).

The changes I would personally like: Make only the mission cargo boxes lootable. Everything else should be safe.

As for pirates who steal other people's stackables, I tend to agree with this:

The reason I believe this is that pirates prey on people who have no intention of playing "space wars with real money," but instead reluctantly have to enter this lootable PvP zone only to get from one place to another.

On the bright side, I prefer that pirates get to live out their antisocial tendencies in an online environment, so that, hopefully, they bring less of them to the real world.

10. WhiningSkeptic

Racanua, as of today people are actually playing space wars with real money. There is half a million options for traveling but people insist on carrying lootable items by themselves.

11. Rakanua

Rakanua New Member

I only know of one safe option, which is a loophole in the system (at least MA categorizes it at "issues and loopholes"). Are there any other options for safe travel?

12. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Unfortunately no, if you are carrying any form of stackable item. And even if you are not then it is still not "safe" unless the pirates aren't there at the time.

13. Cyborg Bill

I thought this out a little bit and will throw this out and sit back for the entertainment value.

They mentally deficient people that promote space thievery are using real world comparisons. Lets add some real world comparisons to being a shitbird thief. IF you decide to play pi rat and want ALL the glory of being one then I propose this as a solution.

First off remove ANY tt's and storage accessible from space.
    Second you loot someone is space you get a pi rat tag.

In real life criminals are wanted and hunted on the lands they rob from. Well once a pi rat is flagged he should be on a "Wanted" list. By this I mean he gets flagged for PVP ANY where. They get the advantage of pussy camping safe zones We get the advantage of everyone getting to kill them planet side in non pvp zones. Yes they get to fight back and escape (aka tt or auction the shit they stole).

So that makes rule 3. They HAVE to use planet side tt and or storage / auctions the entire time being flagged as a wanted pi rat. That will even out the whole ping, programming limitations, inherent Cryengine exploits for the people who do not cheat, are not interested but FORCED into pvp, or simply cant afford to waste the extra ped on space "Tax"

So you choose a life of crime as in real life there should be consequences not like the skewed version of pvp in an RCE we have now.

Now how many of you are REAL pirates and how many of you are just pussy ass thieves exploiting easy money off normal thinking players?

AS an after thought Edit. If the pirats are "Arrested (killed planet side) any stolen loot gets returned to the player it was taken from.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  14. WhiningSkeptic

@Cyborg Bill ...I assume that would go for planet side pvp as well?

15. Cyborg Bill

IMO wouldn't need to as pvp planet side IS a self inflicted choice. In space its an MA imposed penalty for their warped laziness.

16. WhiningSkeptic

I beg to differ.

Space needs to be dangerous, otherwise no one would be willing to pay extra MU for items from alien planets. If safe paths ever get introduced, these need to be full of dangerous mobs and ship decay would need to increase a lot. Otherwise they might as well substitute space with teleports.

17. Cyborg Bill

Space will sill be pvp exploitable for the not real pi rats and sissies. It will just not be free money for the ones with no real world balls.

Nothing in my post said anything about safe zones.

As far as any extra Markup It is mindarkian practice to keep all mark ups low. There is no free economy in a computer simulation.

18. Spike Black

Spike Black Active Member

Why not a variable size safe zone, the higher a pirates rating the smaller their safe zones are around the stations. The pirate can camp in their safe zone but the people they waiting for have a zone much larger safe area and as such can shoot the pirate down while they're still in it.

With the single auction any MU will be the same everywhere, the transportation charge will not be taken into account.

19. Cyborg Bill

Why would you want to give the pirates yet another benefit...A "Safe zone" for what? Where they could be invisible? Are you talking in space or for my idea planet side with them being flagged as killable no matter where they are? The balance in my head for them would be that Mindark would have to program it so the players choose what TP are they wish to arrive at to allow for a balance to the area pirates have to cover in space.

I hate thieves no matter what form they come in so Im not willing to give them any breaks. I am just running a scenario out that could balance a system where thievery and cheating is encouraged by the devs of the game and give no balance or repercussions to the victims. Like I said in my original post PVP in an RCE is a fail of massive proportions let alone in such an exploitable environment run by already not so ethical silly humanz.

As far as a pirate "Rating" a turd is a turd no matter the shape, size, or smell. No need to differentiate between them.

20. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Active Member