1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you personal thoughts on PVP

Discussion in 'PvP' started by anthonymorris, Jan 30, 2014.

1. anthonymorris

anthonymorris Platinum Member Platinum Member Arkadia Adviser

This is a personal opinion thread I want to know your honest opinions on the Lootable pvp zones are. So mods if you don’t want this kind of thread then I understand just delete it. Remember we are a game of many players doing many things in the EU for one reason or another. So if you have an opinion on the issue chim in, not just a well I don’t like it boooo hoooo they are all thief’s. But rather give us a reason why you do or do not like it. I will start this show off.
    SPACE PVP

Problem:
    As everyone knows I’m not a fan of lootable PVP at all not in the slightest but I do give dibs on some pvp players let me explain. Firstly I hate that you are forced to enter lootable space just to go from one place to another. This to me is like saying hear I have a gold coin that is priceless and you can have it for free but…… you must first travel through hell and back again before you can have it. Which is impossible, Space pvp is just that if you survive the first attack you still have many more to come why?

Because, the pirate who just had his butt handed to him is now on skype/vent/mumble or what other game talk system they use to telling his buddies that you are partly dead and which direction you are heading. This works why you just beat a pirate and now you are on a time limit do you stop to repair your ship or do you try to pull a NINJA move and sneak quietly by? Well you continue because you will waste time trying to heal your ship because they know if you do that there is limited places where you can go to do it. So if you stop you are surely dead.

Any idiot can sit at a space station and wait for a person to leave a planet and follow them and shoot them down my monkey headed brother and son do it to each other all the time not looting anyone just space battling each other(sometimes you just can’t fix stupid). So being a pirate might take some aim skills but a lot have found cheats to help them along, not all but a lot, I personally have heard and seen a the speed cheat where they catch up with you faster. So space piracy has no respect in my book, no not even a little.

One Solution is this:
    Space should have a free from lootable PVP zone--- like the ones that surround the SS. It could be a safe zone for a quad/MS/sleipnir/privateer or what other ships will come in the future. This travel zone is a place where you are not able to get looted or shot down. I’m not saying a straight line from point A to point B but rather a wiggly one that will make the player stay at the helm while traveling from planet to planet and if you go outside of that free zone you can get looted. Make it a longer trip and a trip where the pilot will have to stay at the helm and not go afk. Or take a warp service for a fast and fun trip.

This will do 2 things:
    1. It makes the pirates do what real pirates of the old had to do and go out and hunt for their bounty not just sit at a port (SS) 99% of their time and shoot those coming and going. If they did that they would surely be caught and put to death. (*In general it is funny how many pirates cry when shot down by a mothership or when they get team tagged and killed)

2. Will allow even trade throughout the entirety of the EU and a place where players can explore the space aspect of the game. Yes there is trade now but it could be more productive of a trade if there was an actual safe trade route.

LAND PVP
    Now here is an interesting thing land pvp, I will say again I DONOT agree with pvp but this one is a bear of a different color, meaning you have the option to enter it or not. This is different than space because space is a forced pvp zone no way around it if you want to go from planet to planet to enjoy the whole game. Whereas land pvp is and optional pvp zone, if I want to get to the other side of a land pvp you could fly/walk around it/ skip to my Lou my daisys threw it (TPING) or just simply avoid it by not getting the 5 ped shot it takes to go in. Land pvp It is not a forced PVP zone like space.

No more are the days of interplanetary tping for 30 ped it’s all forced lootable pvp. So with that being said I give the PKer’s, “true PKer’s” not pirate PKer’s those who moon light as PKer’s and do piracy full time. But true pker’s I have a bit of respect for, and I’m not talking about those so called pker who use the noob tubes (grenade launchers) but pker who actually have guns they shoot you with pk guns. Any idiot can get a noob tube and go pk people heck I do it on mobs to help me complete my missions faster. Yes there are differences in pking and noob tubing it.

Problem:
    I do not agree with some rare ores only being found in lootable pvp4 why you ask? What if you global, hof or for heaven’s sake ATH on it then not only will the PKer’s know but the scallywag pirates will too. Then the next thing you know they are out searching in troves for a tower or something, if they happen to luck up on it then you are surely dead or they will camp the tower until you come to try to pull it then when you pull it pow dead and lost loot. Some will say they can’t camp it 24/7 but yes they can how many members do you think some PK soc have and even more so how many pirate soc do you think there are, with member in all parts of the world in various time zones? This gives I feel gives the pirate/pker (there is really no difference mostly) an unfair advantage because they know you are in a pvp area hence the hunt is on. Also if a pker works the pvp area a lot they will know better where to look depending on the ore.

One Solution:
    Have the PVP4 loot able to drop in ALL areas not just the pvp4 areas, have a silent hof,ATH for the pvp4 ores, or even better have a non lootable bubble around the claim (like when you tp into an area) until you are able to pull your claim. Like I said not a global but like the hof or ATH because those can take some time to claim hence giving them time to find it and camp it. They cried about vehicles in pvp because you could recall it, so they took that away but I also had some fly around jump out and hit you with a launcher before you can know what is happening. So losing the vehicle thing is a plus and negative.

*note* this is just my personal opinion & I would love to know what everyone else has to say, explain why you think the way you do. And most of all lets be civil to one another, we all have different opinions and it would be great to respect that. You might not like my opinion and that’s fine so let’s hear what yours is without trying to bash anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I'm not at all interested in PVP but if other people want to have fun shooting each other that's fine with me.

Lootable space was a terrible decision by MA and I am fundamentally opposed to it. The people who do pirating are lacking in some fundamental ethics. However it is what it is. I don't expect MA to change the arrangement, if only because of the impact on people who have invested heavily in warpship businesses. So it's up to me to deal with the situation. And that's what I do. I decide what risks I am prepared to take and how often I will travel. I take responsibility for the outcomes. But the pirates are still thieving arseholes.

In regard to Anthony's comments on rare ores and such, all that is really needed is for a player to have the option to disable global and hof announcements. If someone doesn't want to advertise their successes, that should be their choice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Whilst I've made my opinion of Lootable PvP in space clear (quoted post below), I generally don't mind PvP as long as a person has a choice to participate or not. In most games PvP isn't an issue as they are just games.
    HOWEVER, the fact that everything in EU has a RL monetary value (excluding MU) changes this dynamic* considerably. The fact that RL money is involved, changes the view on PvP particularly when it is forced upon the individual, and therefore the people that prey on this haplessly forced souls (yes I'm talking about Pirates) also suffer from the stigma brought on by this particular point of view, that in other games they would not have too.

PvP4, or the planet based lootable PvP zones, are a different matter entirely IMO as the individual has the choice of entry and in doing so fully accepts the associated risks.

I particularly like this suggestion. I will fully support and endorse such a system/option being made available and implore MA to explore this avenue at the earliest possible opportunity and convenience.

* I apologise for the use of this word and will submit myself for discipline at the earliest opportunity ;)

4. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I would be very opposed to anyone being able to turn off their own global and HOF messages. It would mess with the systems we currently have in place like entropia life and would undermine the whole idea behind globals and hofs. And I think globals and HOFs in lootable PVP are all part of the fun of it... to turn off globals there would make the lootable zone less fun for those who enjoy the thrill.

5. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Neil how would it mess with EL? If I don't want my globals tracked, what business is it of yours or anyone else's?
    Of course if I am participating in an event that depends on global tracking I need to turn it back on, but once again shouldn't that be a choice for me?

6. Medeina

Medeina Member

I love the suggestion of being able to turn off ones global and hof announcements. I'd also like to see a hof filter in chat so they're not spamming my chat window. It's annoying.

Far as PVP goes, I neither have interest nor partake in the activity. The only real issue I have is being forced to travel through lootable space. I've read the suggestion of safe travel lanes put out a few times, and that's probably the best one I've seen.

7. anthonymorris

I agree with this statement here too and yes Snape there are big differences in space pvp and land pvp one voluntary and one is forced. Anytime you take away a person’s right to choose is wrong, and yes some might argue you do have a choice to not go into space but be realistic is that enjoying the EU as a whole? Space hunting, interplanetary travel, exploration all one does now with fear of being looted. Is that truly enjoying the full complexities of the EU?

I tend to agree what a wise and knowledgeable man said once ” * Ironically (from a certain point of view), the implementation of Space in its current form, seems almost in direct contravention of Rule 8c of the EU ToS/EULA....LoL”
    And I would have to agree, wouldn’t force lootable space fall under rule 8c of the ToU that we all accept every time we long on. Which simply says “c You cannot interfere with any other Participants ability to use and enjoy the Entropia Universe.”

2 Key words here are “You” meaning players which I would think they worded it this way to exclude themselves I figure. And the second key word is “Entropia Universe” meaning all aspects of the EU including PVP. But mind you lootable space pvp is forced not offered as an option, if there were clearly marked safe fly zones then yes lootable space pvp would be fine and I would whole heartily support it. Because if you get shot and looted in space then shame on you for not following the safe zones.

Now I know some ship owners think that it might hurt their business but I say NAY Matte. And I will open a second post to get the feedback from ship owners and service providers for space travel affects us all.

click here for other thread

*notice no space section so i will be posting it in the General Trading & Business Discussion tab for i think that is the place it is best suited for unless we get a Space Discussion tab then mods can move it. i will also post a link here for others to follow both discussions*

8. Ridan

Ridan Active Member

I agree with alot of what is beeing said here but some I feel is so over the topp.

1. U ARE NEVER FORCED TO GO INTO PVP EVER.

Thats just abusing the word FORCED. U CHOOSE to enter pvp 4 to be able to make a profit thats bigger then otherwise would not be poss. This goes for BOTH pvp and space. To my knowledge the normandie has not been shoot down yet?

Pvp in this game brings something I think ppl overlook. It brings abit of thrill and fear that IS NEEDED TO GET PPL INTO THE GAME. lets just smooth everything plain so that the traders can go on without ever finding an obstacle now shall we? I still remember when I heard of space it was a scary place by sound of it and I quickly wanted to go there to find out and explore just because of this. It was a thrill the first time a pirate started to chase me and I still like that feeling.

PvP also brings in a "ped dump" which is good for EVERYONE IN THE GAME.

I do not agree with pirates IGM however and I would be a "good guy" meaning hunting pirates when able to do so as they are not moraly on the good side they become a needed enemy in the world.

But the main thing bugging me bout this is the Forced part. Thats my biggest concern here.
    IF U WANT TO MAKE MONEY U WILL HAVE TO MAKE A CALCULATED RISK PERIOD.
    No one will force U to travel U will however choose todo so (Greed?)

9. the-unknown

the-unknown Member

I rarely go into lootable PVP, except for the rare occasions I have to travel to another planet.

As for disabling globals / hofs, doubt it will ever happen. That is probably one of the ways for MA to "persuade" people to hunt or mine or craft, etc. Something along the line of "Oh wow! mob X is looting good! I want a part of the action" or "If that player can do it, so can I" sort of thing. And the occasional article by various press about how someone looted something worth X, etc.

10. anthonymorris

I would have to disagree with you here because you are saying for personal gain and such. But what if i wanted to go hunt say riptor for texturing my sleipnir? I would be Forced to say bring it back to calypso, forced has many meanings one of which is necessary meaning “not done voluntarily but out of necessity”.

If I wanted to hunt on another planet for hides say so I could texture my sleipnir for personal use not for selling then this would debuke your analogy of doing it for personal gain/profit/greed. On planet you have the choice to go around /over/past or through the pvp. In space you do not have that choice at this moment, you will always be in lootable pvp once you leave the SS, thus “forcing” (not done voluntarily but out of necessity) you to travel in an unsafe way back to your place of origin with your loot to texture your item. And while yes you could bring it with you what about the mats you need to texture it with i.e. extractors? Unless you keep a running cash on each planet you have no choice but to risk it in one way or another.

11. anthonymorris

Agreed that’s why I say have the mats in regular areas as well no pvp specific mats or ores

12. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

I will be lazy and save some time, I agree completely with what Snape wrote and quoted KJ. But as some said I highly doubt MA will allow us to disable global messages just as they most likely wont ever allow you to filter out HoF's

+rep (when I can)

13. Ridan

Ridan Active Member

Once again however Thats not a necessity for your eu life Thats a bonus. And to recive that bonus u Will have to 1 pay for a safe journey 2. Skip the texture 3. Take a gamble and go trough space. How is that forced?

14. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

That's a valid opinion, but keep in mind it makes entropialife worthless. It's a moot argument, MA would never do it. What are they going to do, hide you from the HOF list? It's not going to happen. They won't even let us filter out HOFs in main chat.

15. anthonymorris

I only used that as an example not as a fact, but the fact is in order for you the get what MA says is the full EU experience which is how “MA sells it”. You actually are supposed to go to other planets to experience what they have to offer and that in turn would make it a necessary for you to have to go in lootable pvp to be able to get the full EU experience. But hey spin it to what every makes you happy that is the great thing about opinions everyone has one and not all are the same. But to say a person is doing it for greed is not only wrong but just untrue.

I have a business in the EU and yes I do it for profit I’m not a not for profit organization, I have to pay for the mats I for items I craft and it is expected by the purchaser to pay for that service or level of skill it takes to craft. Do you sell your loot for TT or do you give it away? I would think not you mine, hunt, craft for profit not for just the fun of it. It’s the nature of the beast and the way of the game no greed involved unless your prices are stupid high. You can tell greed from business take a stroll in some shops and look at their prices.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ridan

Ridan Active Member

I agree with u on some points but as u say opinions and al that. :) i Belive space bring something to the table that this game has been missing and Thats good imo. It makes things a Lill harder but i Belive its worth it. And pirates are not stopping me from exploring not even close. They only stop me from bringnig loot into space.

17. anthonymorris

Yes I think we would agree with you here space is a great and fun thing to explore. And going in it without loot will not affect your game play. But who wants to fly in a nothingness pit just for fun? Mostly you go to space to bring things from one place to another. This is why pirates camp the SS and such (no skill there just time spent). See I think lootable space is fine as long as we have free trade routes to where you will not get bothered with unless you fall asleep at the helm and go off course. :eek:

18. anthonymorris

See what I think people and myself are saying is that it is slightly unfair to have it all lootable without safe trade routes even in the days of the pirates there were free trade routes and most pirates would respect that, and those who did not would be hunted and sent to the gallows or the hanging tree. Piracy in RL back then and now was and is illegal. What I think the majority agree on is space pvp is a forced regardless of how people what to spin it, not like on land pvp it is an optional pvp to get the better ores and such.

But my question is what benefit does space pvp serve? I see no real benefit from it, they want to enhance space. But the majority of people are not going to go there to enjoy the enhancements, especially if there is a chance you lose you loot that you just got. See pirates are not stupid I will give them that, they hide and wait until they see you loot mobs then once you have what they feel is good they will come and shoot your half dead ship down and kill you. See that’s not stupid but unscrupulous, and as pirates of the old days lacking of any moral compass what so ever. Simple put they are the buzzards of space, and they can’t help it. To then it’s all fun and games and in a matter of speaking it would be had the items not have a real cash value. In a real cash economy game it is theft regardless of the way you want to spin it.

Here’s is 2 examples I like giving visuals lol

Say you live by/in a neighborhood where people speed and there are sign posted all over the place saying “caution this is an area known for its hit and runs remember be careful and mindful of your surroundings at all times because you could get hit by a car if you continue on”. And there is no other way to get to the store to get food for your family other than walking in the road, no shoulder, and no side walk “no safe zone”. And you go anyway because you needed the food but got hit and hospitalized. What are you going to say to the person trying to feed their family sorry for your luck should have stayed home? If your heartless yes but if you have compassion you say hey we have to do something about this!!!! That is what were are doing now trying to show MA there is a different way of doing it(a better way for all) even for the sludge sucking pond peddling pirates.

Second example is this same story just a slight difference

Say you live by/in a neighborhood where people speed and there are sign posted all over the place saying “caution this is an area known for its hit and runs remember be careful and mindful of your surroundings at all times and stay on the protected sidewalks (safe zones), because you could get hit by a car if you continue on and not stay on the sidewalks (safe zone)”. And there is a side walk that will get you to the store safely to get food for your family. Now here we have a safe zone but we are like man it’s shorter if I just cross the road instead of going to the cross, or while walking you are not paying attention and walk in the road. Well as luck has it you got hit and hospitalized. What are you going to say to the person trying to feed their family? You might say hey stupid it’s your own fault you got hit should have stayed on the side walk (safe zone) and paid more attention.

Same scenario just one has a safe route and the other was a forced route. Your opinion on each story will be different but the first one most likely will/should be of compassion for the guy who had no other way but the road, and even as cautious as he was he still got hit. Was it dumb luck or problem? And in the second one I would say utter surprise that they did not follow the safe zone. And more of a well….. you got what you deserved should have not tried to cross the road you had a safe zone, but your impatience got the best of you and your unwillingness to pay attention did too.

19. billairboy

billairboy Member

It think lootable PVP in space and on land is a good thing.

In space because it help to separate the different planets and also brings some adventure feeling to the game. I think the complaining about the lootable space is exaggerated, just leave your stackables and you don't loose anything, simple as that. If they over a pvp free travel rout they should ban all stackables in that zone so you can't travel risk free with stackables.

The purpose with the lootable pvp would go away if the resources only found in these area also could be found risk free on other areas. A miner would be pretty stupid to mine in a pvp zone if it could be found risk free area. So that idea is not a real solution.

Both space and land lootable zones will have any point if players have some kind of benefit to get from entering the zones with stackables, otherwise the zones will be pointless.

20. billyjeanruby

billyjeanruby Member

First I have to declare that, I don’t like PvP …. What I’m saying? I hate PvP!!!! and was the reason that I left my avatar and my significant wealth, to my brother at EVE online.

But here it’s an idea for pirates in Entropia’s space (and it is not mine).
    Where crime there is a bounty and where is a bounty there are bounty hunters ;)

When a player shoot/kill and loot another, that loot could add equal bounty for his head.
    So an active pirate should worth a lot of PED!
    So there is an opportunity for another profession and market. Bounty hunters!
    They can escort ships in space as well and so on.
    So anyone who goes right now and make the … “big boy” and shooting innocent travelers, it will re-thinking not only twice, but many times to do it then.

I love to see such HoF's in the future. Do you? lol
    Now get your imagination into this and think how awesome that will be, for space hunting parties with group of ppl searching for pirate heads e.t.c.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1