1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updates to Forum

Discussion in 'About Arkadia Forums' started by Admin, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Was one of those things a "Psychic" thing bout rep? I went to rep you and it said I already repped that post....First time I saw it...

2. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

lol CB nah that post is ages old... you probably just forgot about the rep ;)

3. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

Hm...We can now "like", "thank" and "rep" the same post...

Basically three ways of doing the same thing I guess.(i.e. who would rep someone for a post, thus showing appreciation, but not like it and be thankful for the posting thereof?)

Hell, if I ever felt a post was worthy to do all three things, I'd just ask the OP out to dinner and a movie!
    ;)

Tippin'

4. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

....And on a side note of n00bishness that I am never shy to admit:

I JUST NOW realized that you can give "X" amount of "rep points" (whatever those are) along with the rep...

I rep good posts (or bad ones that have good points...) fairly often - more than I actually post myself thesedays - but never assign any "points".

I am for certain known as a cheap bastard because of that.
    :D

Doh...

Tippin'

5. Mutant Atrax Stalker

Mutant Atrax Stalker Active Member

well yeah i learned two things here because...

I never assigned points to rep either. I noticed i got different points from different users and just assumed it was related to that user's ability to "rep" you. Now i know i should assign some points!

Second thing i thought that just meant aj had no rep ;)

Nice to get clear all around lol.

6. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Forum Official Pro Users

The max points you can allocate is based on that user's ability to "rep" like you suspected Atrax (in fact, it's their "Rep Power" as listed with their other info on the left), but you can specify anywhere between 0 and that max amount when you rep (it defaults to zero so you need to change it).

A useless piece of trivia for you:

If you rep a post for 0 points, you'd think there'd be no need to put a cap on how many times you can do it to that post. If fact, you'd think you'd be able to rep it for 0 points an infinite number of times, wouldn't you?

Well, we thought of that.

We knew you were already busy deciding which of the three ways to tell someone you're a fan of their writing, and Van's such a considerate so-and-so that he couldn't bear to have you sitting there repping a post for your whole life just to see if there was an upper limit on it.

So that, boys and girls, is why you can't rep the same post twice even if you give it no points!

7. Admin

Hi folks!

Another upgrade to the vBulletin platform has introduced some new features, and destroyed a couple of others. I've tried to keep things the way they were as much as possible, but being only human, allegedly, I tend to miss things.

Let me know if anything is broken and I'll try get it sorted.

The biggest issue so far has been the menu/navbar at the top of the forums. I'll be getting the Useful links back there, but it looks like we won't be getting Arkadia Time in there due to the way the new vBulletin handles things.

8. RexDameon

RexDameon Active Member Pro Users

wondering if we can get a single 1 click link for David and Cyrus posts instead of the seperate ones.

9. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

If that's so, could you re-add it to the page footer?

10. Admin

Unfortunately no as you can only search by 1 userid at a time.

It failed on the last version, will try again on this one... don't hold your breath! :)

11. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

Can you search by group ID by chance? Say by anyone who is part of the Ark Staff user group?

Not knowing all that much about vBulletin (I've mostly messed with phpBB, as it's free to use), I know some applications add a layer to execute custom PHP code, while others have to have it enabled. Is that the case here or do you have to do something entirely different? Example: One way I've gotten around it is by making an AJAX call to a PHP script that simply returns GMT time. Then you can even have it update every 30 seconds or minute or whatever. That is assuming that you have that kind of access to the template files, of course. ;)

Script:
    PHP:
    <?php echo gmdate("D M d, Y H:i e"); ?>
    JavaScript Function:
    Code:
    function showTime() {
      if (window.XMLHttpRequest){
        var request = new XMLHttpRequest();
      } else if (window.ActiveXObject) {
        var request = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
      }
      request.open("GET","timeUpdate.php",true);
      request.send(null);
      request.onreadystatechange = function() {
        var time = request.responseText;
        document.getElementById('eu_time').innerHTML = "Arkadia Time: "+time;
      }
    }

function loadTime() {
      showTime();
      setInterval('showTime()',30);
    }
    In the BODY tag:
    HTML:
    <body onload="loadTime();">

12. Admin

Thanks mate, vB runs vbscript which pretty well blocks out all php and js, except for the forum homepage.

the only way to do it is with the plugin/hook system, and the way I had it before used to work as you know, but no idea why or what has changed... I'll investigate your option though, it looks promising :)

As for the groupID search, not that I know of. I highly doubt it.

13. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

vBulletin is built using PHP.. How does it run VBScript, then?

14. Admin

You're right, the actual files are written in php, however the templates that are editable (through the admin control panel) are written using html and vbscript. I guess for security reasons they made it so you can't insert php into the templates themselves. I've tried and they just get parsed literally.

PCF have the search function which looks at partial name, so to return results which include "|Mindark" in the username. Not exactly usergroup searching but it gets the job done.

Cheers

15. Admin

Arkadia Time now appears under the adverts on the right hand side of each page. Yay.

As for the dev posts stuff, you can access them via the Useful Links menu, available in the forum areas.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Admin

Greetings folks!

So you may have noticed some recent changes to the forum, some minor, some not so minor. I apologise for the late post in this thread regarding them.

The forum has had a menu system overhaul and things should be a lot easier to find. The whisper in the winds is that vBulletin will be doing some further upgrades to this menu system as well which will allow certain sub-menus to be visible on ALL pages, not just under a particular tab.

The most important change to the forum is that our awesome, respected and sometimes feared Snape has been promoted to a full Administrator. None are safe now! muhahha! ;)

Snape is picking up some slack for me in the background as the forum grows and there is more activity. This is all in addition to his already demanding job, so please everyone join me in welcoming Snape to the Admin team.

Additionally, Lee Delioncourt and Larkin have both been given some additional power (including the Banhammer) and are able to further assist Snape and myself to do their ever demanding jobs.

I'd like to also add that Snape, Lee Delioncourt, Larkin and myself are voluntarily committing our time and effort to improve and maintain the quality of this great forum. We each have our own normal day to day lives which keep us busy, and as such, some things may take a little longer than expected to resolve. Rest assured we work hard on the forums with the constant goal in mind to keep ArkadiaForum the most enjoyable forum to visit.

On a related note, you may have noticed a new banner asking you to participate in a survey. We appreciate the feedback received so far and we are taking the responses to each question seriously to assist us in our goal.

Thank you to everyone who has participated in the survey. If you haven't done so already, please take a few minutes to do so. You can find the survey here or under the Useful Links submenu.

17. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Active Member

Gratz Snape!!! ;)

Side note.. just noticed that the more button for the smilies opens up a new window but doesn't want to stay ontop.. have to minimize the current window in order to see or use them..

18. Admin

Interesting. How about clicking the little Smiley icon in the text editor toolbar? That should bring up an ajax style window.

19. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Active Member

Brings up the basic smillies but not the extra ones.. But this isn't just this forum so I have to apologize as I just figured out that I have the same problem with other forums.. (PCF, EF) :huh: Something to do with ie8 or such.. :surrender:

20. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Active Member

LOL seems that I had one tab open that had some sort of overpowering rites to it.. Closed it down now everything is status quo... Very strange as it still works now after I reopened it!! :shrug: