1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under the water, down in the abyss

Discussion in 'Creatures' started by Erastothenes, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Erastothenes

Erastothenes Member

Eagerly awaiting Arkadia, maybe we will get some "design-a-new-mob" comps going here? Anyway, I have had an idea in my mind for a bit. It sorts of intertwines with another idea, to be posted in a different/appropriate thread but here it is:

Will we have different continents / islands? If so, make it possible to actually swim the whole way between them (very long, very slow) and introduce REALLY high-end creatures in the deeps of the offshore parts of the oceans. Hard to get to, very hard to kill. Maybe only to be found at great depth, illusive, in the dark of the abyss. A cool challenge! And if one dies hunting them - no quick revive/return either. Mobs for the top hunters in a difficoult and hostile environment.

Make the deep a dark place, introduce submarine flashlights, maybe minisubs or personal speed-pods, to reach the deep and scout out stuff. And in addition to the megamonsters of jurasic proportions there could be ultra-fast things like long thin sea-snakes, transparent-like deep water jelly fish, bottom feeding trap-like creatures, call on creativity here!

And wrecks. Alien spacecraft hidden in the depth of the abyss for millenia, possibly hiding valuables. Maybe whole cities moved my tectonics over billions of years, former mountain-top metropolises now sitting in strange formations fathoms under the sea surface. The whole 3d-moving thing of underwater could offer soooo much I think :) Much more than the current frogface Leviathans ( a cool addition yes but there could be more ).

My wishlist is always endless :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Garek

Garek Member

This sounds like a good idea, you could base a whole new planet on this.

3. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Underwater gaming is fun but game play physics are really hard to get the feel of it being truely viable. Space will also have the same complications thats why I assume not too many games use free space or free water within them. For me there was only one game that did well at this underwater stuff and that was an MMO Called Dark Age of Camelot.

When the released the Trials of Atlantis expansion to the game it was incredible the amout of depth (no pun intended) that expansion had. Obviously I am talking the pre EA game version as that all went down hill when EA got their grubby paws on it and cookie cutter'd it to death with nearly effortless skilling and making growth too simple.

At times I see what is happening in EU and wonder if EA is pulling the strings in the back ground as it is now trending that same direction.

4. Wistrel

Wistrel Member

Love all the points made here.

Yes please underwater stuff and challenges! Things that are difficult to get to cause of the environment not just cause of the players skill level which in turn is based on what they deposited!

Also yes please to being able to travel from one continent to another via boat TP or swimming.

I don't see why underwater is any trickier than flying? Surely less so I would have thought and besides... underwater city could always be presurised so you can walk about inside.

There are complex underwater environments in Tomb Raider Underworld and these are no problem to get about in.

As regards submarines well they would be the same as VTOLs really. TBH I would prefer more complex control of VTOLs or the option to turn complex control on or off. There is no reason why MA can't give us a reason to buy joysticks if we want to. I remember a really old 3d game called DESCENT where you could (it was recommended) use two joysticks. Really very cool/fun. I think one was thrust, reverse thrust and "rudder" (rotate left/right), the other controled pitch and yaw. Buttons were probably up/down and fire/bomb

What do we have currently? Left/Right, forward/backward and up/down. All non analogue.

I would REALLY like to see an effin' torch show up! ;)

Wistrel

5. Razormat

Razormat New Member

I like the ideas.
    Concerning swimming from one continent to another
    that seems to be a serverside problem,
    as every extra server costs money
    (as stated in this thread
    http://www.arkadiaforum.com/showthread.php?100-Ahh-the-geopgraphy
    by David Dobson:

).

About hard to get to, hard to kill creatures,
    I think it is on the one hand a cool idea,
    on the other hand, since hunting mobs in EU is pure grinding
    and some good item(s) in loot (reward) is not guarenteed,
    a revive terminal somewhere near the bad mobs would
    make the whole process less painfull in my opinion.

Regards,

Razormat

6. Erastothenes

Erastothenes Member

DESCENT... ahhh brings back memories!

7. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Active Member

I would love to see more diverse settings like underwater and space.. I think it would add the next part to the game that is currently missing. Making the game feel abit more complete as to places to go and adventures to be had..

Ah yes Decent.. I still have it in my collection.. I think it made me a bit ill the first time I played it.. for like 9 hours straight!! lol :D

8. Cyborg Bill

haha then you would not have done well with the version I got.. I got the 3-d version that came with the firts pair of 3d glasses I eve owned.
    That REALLY messed with yer eyes after an hour or so..BTW ya didnt get up outta the chair to fast when you were done either...I hit the floor a time er two doin that when I first got that setup.

9. darkshark

darkshark Member

I totally support these suggestions and have long lamented how Calypso has neglected the potential for developing the oceans as both an adventure playground and a hunting and treasure finding zone. Much of Calypso has water but there is virtually nothing in it, and it is virtually uniform depth apart from coming into shore and there is no excitement there or prospect of discovery. I would love to see a world tackle this and make a real underwater adventure possible. Look what was done with Rapture in the wonderful Bioshock game!

lately they have introduced boats into Calypso and after the imaginative designs at least of one or two of the cars and the flying craft I was extremely disappointed to see the boats are typical boring Earth 20th Century white plastic cruiser speedboat designs that look like they were dropped in from the Sunseeker catalogue... poor thinking... just a lot of sports boat jockeys now racing around bumping into each other so lets have some SCI FI water craft or even underwater accessories and weapons and massive undersea content potential...

10. Wistrel

Wistrel Member

Lol haha I had no idea there was a 3d version! Sounds mad XD

I actually rather liked the boats being classical..... But I'm sure diversity will come. The idea of a really large vehicle you can walk about in would be cool....

11. Cyborg Bill

12. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

isn't that similar to the one that got sunk not so long ago? looks like a similar designed hull. The other one looked more like a boat Batman would have ;)

13. Cyborg Bill

Yeah that was the ady something or other...thats what put me on track with this one. them are some serious yatchs to be playing chicken with whaling vessels in. But for us here in a video game we have L repair tools and can fix it when we do stupid stuff like that 8=}}

14. krm398

krm398 Member

Cyborg Bill..maybe I'm reading wrong but it looks like you said that "L" class stuff in the universe can be repaired. In Entropia, "L" class stuff is limited so it can never be repaired. Not sure what you meant, so just dropped this in.

15. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

i think he's referring to the tools we currently have to repair the L vehicles.

16. Cyborg Bill

I was refering to the vehicle repair tool that is L but also Repairs an L item. RP-5 I think it is? It repiars the structural damage on the limited vehicles but not the TT value of them.

17. krm398

krm398 Member

Water creatures, how about we make fishing possible on Arcadia? It's not like fishing software is expensive or hard to come by, it's available at every Dollar Stare for like $10 US..lol. And fishing would be the same for water creatures as hunting for land creatures, with loot and equipment if you get it on land.

18. Tikki

Tikki Member

Fishing would be awesome! Totally agree :) You could always do a rod and reel for traditional style, fly fishing, or even spear guns! Though you would need some 50lb tess for some of the fish they have now lol

It would be another interesting element. But if so dont make the fishing rods L that would be a pain.^^

19. krm398

krm398 Member

There could be light outfits, for beginners, and small fish, then medium outfits for better fishing areas, and finally heavy outfits like trolling rods for on boats for big fish, and they all could be crafted or even the beginner stuff could be on the TT.Also lures and baits would be available, some baits could come from fish themselves, I fish and for some big fish you use small fish for bait, also some fish I cut up for bait..so that plus 'worms' you could buy from the TT to get you started would do it.

20. Cyborg Bill

Fishing would be great with rod and reel vs jumpin in and shootin a gun underwater while holding your breath for hoyrs at a time. The rods would work in place of guns or blades and looting would be normal as like hunting (preferably with less no looters or fragments) hehe if we could get a cut scene somehow as we did fight the fish that would be even more awesome to see a fish dance like a Marlin on the water or better yet some kind of non fish like mob specific to Arkadia would be even better yet.

Of course tere would have to be better boats to go after the bigger stuff as them wimpy pleasure boats they made would barely pull a skier let alone be good enough to battle bigger water mobs.

Oh yeah on a side note... if you guys do make Arkadia specific vehicles please make one with balls enough to get over a single step. That wimpy ass hummer I have cant even get up the smallest step in game even with 4 wheel drive and the lift it has. Tried going up a single step the other night and I had to get out and carry my hummer over that little step. If I had a vehicle that sissified IRL Id have drained the oil, started it up and put a brick on the gas pedal before I walked away to watch it blow its sorry self up.

• Agree Agree x 1