1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visual The New Celeste Harbour

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Puck, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Puck

Puck Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

From the moment my vision cleared after teleporting into CH, I thought "Hrm, looks unfinished and uninspiring."

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during Dave's conversation with the modeling team that worked so hard creating the now missing Celeste Harbour waterfall Platform as he informed them it will be replaced with a large, open, flat plaza... Adorned haphazardly with a statue of the late great proffesor, a nice but unrelated Feran topped fountain, and a glaringly out of theme giant wooden deck(with even more glaring poorly engineered support beams).

Priority lists are vital to timely, relevant updates, but I'm obviosly struggling to see why once pristene area needed modification.

Dave? Cyrus? Would either of you please indulge me with at least a "hint" of the future plans for CH? This is the first change Ive seen since launch that is unsettling.

2. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

I can only speculate, of course, but from what it sounded like when he was in game a while back was that it was going to be simpler to make trading easier...

EDIT:

3. Fopsie

Fopsie Active Member Pro Users

I also think their trying to make it more trader friendly. Afterall in a buzzing trading city (not atm but hopefully in the future) you need landmarks inorder for your clients to easaly find you.

I havent been able to update EU yet and last time I loged out was on Calypso after I dropped some stuff off at the auction so I don't know how it looks now and can not comment on if I like it or not.

4. David | Arkadia

David | Arkadia Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Planet Arkadia Official

As mentioned in the release notes you are looking at phase one.

A further update is due out today with the patch that I think you'll like.

Then a much bigger update is due with the next VU.

Although the existing structure was technically interesting, it acted as a blocker between the two halves of the city and didn't create adequate space for trade. The new set up is very much designed with traders in mind who require landmarks when describing their location "selling xxx at 120%, standing next to statue".

Edit: Further Edit, we had a problem with the build so the patch is now targeted for Tuesday 25th Oct

• Like Like x 1
  5. rick_janson

6. Puck

Puck Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

While I can see Dave's reasoning, I feel it's unapplicable to this situation (with all due respects to Dave and ATeam). Twin and PA (pre and post V10) didnt thrive as trade locations b/c of wide open commons. Even now, the trade lines are narrow and tight.

Traders will line up where people gather. And old CH had ample room for that. 4x crafting terminals within 200 meters of each other, a beautiful building with a long stairwell and multiple tables to stand on, landing platforms and boat docks all around. And the previous design lacked anythng but Feng Shui.

I'm sad they changed it, because I could see the potential. I'm dissappointed they changed it for the reasons(alleged) they thought were needed.

##Edit: After seeing Daves reply. Thanks for the encouraging response Dave. Now Im a bit anxious and curious to see the new vision built out.

7. Fopsie

Fopsie Active Member Pro Users

Well really cant say much about the new change to CH sins there will be another update today. I do however agree that it does look a bit bigger then what is usualy needed and will likely continue to be opimized by the A-team for some time to come from feedback by players.

8. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

You also have to remember that they're designing the planet not just for our current needs, but for times (hopefully soon) when have more players. The old white bridge structure was interesting, visually, but was a pain to drive across. I like the changes at Celeste... the chairs, the landmarks, nice touches.

Edit: If I could make a suggestion, move the TP toward the corner (opposite the windmill) so that the statue, the fountain, the TP make a triangle rather than a line. That way, there is a direct line of sight between all 4 landmarks, making it easier to find people for trades and initiate private chats without having to physically go and look for a player on the other side of the TP.

9. rick_janson

oh yeah.. I really like the fact you can actually sit down on chairs in a lounge area.. and also in the ArchSoc building.

10. Xandra

Xandra Active Member Pro Users

Hi,

have to say that I like the new look. Especially the chairs down by the water :)

It's more open, has distinct landmarks, now we only need to get it populated. Any ideas when the "big phat ultimate Arkadian marketing offensive" will start?

Have a good time!

11. Hideo

Hideo Active Member

i haven´t seen the new town centre yet but it looks promising and how cool will it be to just hang out on the couches and chairs in the lounge area and watch the buzzing beehive of the city.:eek:

a good idea Neil becouse it kind of looks a bit overcrowded or maybe make the TP smaller. like the hovering spiky ones in memorial island or twins. so you can easily look through and don´t have this bulky structure in the line of sight making the space jam-packed.

12. bass

bass Member

If crafters gather there to craft, there will be a good chance miners will join them too.

Havent found the chairs yet :/

13. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Making the TP smaller might help visually, but the TP is still in the way for the purposes of initiating private chat... if I'm at the statue I won't be able to click on someone at the fountain... which will probably prevent people from using these landmarks for trading.

@bass -- The chairs are south of the big wooden platform, by the water.