1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taming...with a purpose

Discussion in 'Taming' started by krm398, Jan 15, 2011.

1. calemus

calemus Member

as far as i can tell the only beast worth riding would be a dragon, drake, or hiryyu,,,or how ever u spell it

since i have the 3-4 vehicals i want, the only reason i would ever want a pet is for hunting

unless it can bloodhound the mobs with loot
    but we all know that wont happen

2. red

red Member

I always wanted any pet of mine to be able to use those who were annoying me as a a chew toy.

oh, and, carrying heavy stuff, opening jars, and taking out the garbage would also be useful.

3. Telgard

Telgard Member

So a few things I'm seeing here, there and in my head:
    Tamed Mob Growth from Young to Legend
    Reprogramed Robots development from Alpha to Iota
    Slave training from Newbie to Unit RX
    ex. ex.

The ability to ride or fly on certain mobs. (Mob specific)
    The ability of certain mobs to carry resources. (Mob specific / Stackables only)
    The ability of certain mobs to fight with you. (Mob specific / specialized attack, defense, aggroing, ex. ex.)
    Pet reviving at Revive terminal upon request or at a pet facility.
    Mindforce Chip for reviving pets. (Slightly lower lvl necessary for reviving a pet than another avatar)
    Pet feeding and pooing?
    The ability of certain mobs to fetch loot.
    The ability of certain mobs to gather mining resources for you. (mostly humanoids and reprogrammed robots.)
    Animal pets have an upkeep of food / mostly fruit. Reprogramed robots would have an upkeep of mineral resources (Ores / Enmaters depending on the robot)
    Pets can be guest listed and gather loyalty to other players.
    -If you are on a team, Pets work poorly with people they don't know.
    Pets can be abused.
    Pets can run away.
    Pets can attack owner.
    Certain pets have hidden skills, abilities, innate attributes that can be discovered or learned.

Am I missing anything?

4. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Other then the fact this is Entopia Universe and not a hybrid of WoW and Silk Road nah ya got it pretty much covered.

5. Telgard

Telgard Member

It might as well be. WoW and Silk Road are hybrids of other predecessor mmos and pc games. The idea is to continually evolve as an MMO, PP, and RCE game. Learn from other games, and planets; Steal and expand upon ideas from all areas. Create and develop content!

If your going to have a product (pets), they might as well have a fully developed use within the game other than another indestructible shield like vehicles in land grabs.

6. krm398

krm398 Member

I really, really don't think half that stuff will ever see the light of day for two reasons:
    1) many aren't necessary or even wanted by many (abusing pets is ok? Don't think so)
    2) the comapny will never flesh out things that well for us, they only want to give us just enough, and not any more to keep us depositing. So if we can get riding pets and hauling pets we'll be real lucky.All the tiny details are a pipe dream IMO..sorry.

7. calemus

calemus Member

the only reason to have a pet is if it attacks

vehicles do better than an animal
    or we would still be using a horse instead of a pickup truck
    facts are facts

8. Telgard

Telgard Member

1] Yea, probably so, though I can see a use for having them and that would back pets have more of a purpose. The statement about abusing pets is a very vague statement for good reason.. Abuse itself can describe many actions and often times the training of a truly wild animal requires what is often time termed as breaking same way you would train a soldier in an army. You break them in a remold them. ...Also it could be used to describe over exerting a pet like having it fight beyond its capacity, force it to work beyond the stage of being tired, or hold more beyond its capacity..all are different ways of abusing and all should have a chance of ramifications and consequences. It could be either good or bad but it is known as having options.
    2.] The reason behind depoing and paying large sums of money into the system is to see the fleshing out of the various systems that we like, use, and wish to be developed from the consumers point of view. What happens when you run out of pipe? You either hit the sewers or you hit the skies.

...the idea is that pets in a foreign world are not your run of the mill horse, dog, and tiger. Imagining being able to ride a cheetah or a large Peraguin Falcon. Imagine a pet smart than a dog and capable of loot mobs for you or learn, and growing within a foreign environment. Fact are fact but are they the relavent facts.. and technically our vtols, hover crafts, and buggies should be able to smear most mobs but on the flip-side the ability to smear mobs would do costly damage to any real vehicle. Vehicles can't heal themselves and regrow (revive with proper DNA imprinting) like a pet would be able to.. you would have to buy new parts to repair the old one that you just tore out the bottom of your vehicle.

9. calemus

calemus Member

rl
    vtol + turrent = dead herd of elephants

entropia
    vtol + turrent = transportation with storage

i dont expect rl wonders, but as well as i can train dogs in rl
    i would like to get at least fetch and attack out of a game pet

at the absolute least if nothing els

10. Chrome

Chrome Active Member Pro Users

How 'bout a really, really BIG merp that could chew up trox? :p

11. calemus

calemus Member

1 chrome merp 4 me
    please

12. Larkin

Larkin Platinum Member Staff Member PAF Senior Mod Platinum Member

I'd take a giant Chirpy or maybe a gibnib or something :D Then I'll have a Leviathan to ride on the waterways ;)

13. MindStar9

MindStar9 Deactivated User

I'll take a fancy cane for walking through the jungles to archaeological digs, because hidden inside the cane is a bad-ass sword that will turn the Oratan (and mobs) into sushi in no time at all, but, but, but ... the use of some type of mindforce (synthetic or otherwise) will morph it into a kick-ass King Cobra that will spit acid at the Oratan (and mobs) like pepper spray blinding their ass (ok, eyes), and attach a buff that will take their health down over time like melting cotton candy. Don't think this fancy cane is tamable, just needs a learned/unlocked skill.

Disclaimer: I've either been playing too many fantasy games, or ... it was something in the Chinese I ate for dinner last night. :p

14. keith

keith Member

haha i like the idea... the cane/sword :cool:

15. krm398

krm398 Member

Um, Mindstar...I see the idea of a kill all weapon..but what exactly does that have to do with taming?lol I think you went off the reservation there in the wrong thread. But if you get your kill all melt all sword then I demand my one shot kill rifle with LONG range, for taming of course..(cough)

16. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Forum Official Pro Users

Lol or maybe you're just damn crazy in general! Love the ideas though. A cane that morphs into a badass sushi sword that morphs into an acid spraying snake, and then of course back to a cane again so you can stroll out of the jungle with it and a top hat and a monocle and be all "la di da" about it as if you hadn't just kicked some serious Oratan butt.

17. MindStar9

Ok, my crazy-ass thinking didn't go THAT far ... did it? :p

Sorry, was a bit on the silly side, so ... on a more serious note ... how about something along the following lines ...

• certain creatures are able to be captured/tamed
    • they are identified by an icon next to their health bar
    • they can be ridden but also fight with you for added protection
    • at time of capture they are level one, but ...
    • they will level at a steady pace while fighting with you, until ...
    • they meet your skill level, at which time they can be enhanced
    • make the regeneration chip available to heal pets as well, this way ...
    • it creates a social healing that benefits pets and owners, and ...
    • might even make healing services more profitable ... I'm just sayin' :)
    • have an option to name your pet, and not just once, especially if sold
    • perhaps even include a portable storage to keep people in the field longer
    • have a toggle icon to both summon and store your pet
    • not sure about food - I think they'll be doing enough chomping :p
    • allow pets to be traded so that tamers can have their business -
    • someone could capture/tame animals and skill/level them up to be sold
    • I'm sure more variables could be added to make it a viable profession
    There's any number of ways this could be developed to make it a fun addition to our universe, and add it as a profession for those who wish to continue with their taming involvement, or even to entice others to try it out.

Thing is ... we just don't know what direction MA is going with this, and I guess we'll just have to wait to see how elaborate a system they will give us.

18. Teiwaz

Teiwaz Member

Way too much of this reminds me WoW.
    Not saying that some of it would not be cool tho.

19. MindStar9

I think these characteristics are pretty common with quite a few games, and as far as WoW is concerned, I spent 3 days in that game, and 2 days in SL and that was the end of it. These features (and more) I've experienced in other games. :)

20. krm398

krm398 Member

I think that on Calypso, taming WAS started as a business. The brushes and whips were pretty expensive, so casual players couldn't or wouldn't afford to give it a try. If everyone could tame one animal then lose the right without a Permit..or something then they all could see what its like and decide if they wanted to get into it. Of course, professional tamers don't want a lot of people doing it, or there's no profit in it..so yes, taming for profit, with names that only the owner can give it..tamers don't need to name their supplys, and they all could start out small, but then if there were different sizes, then some would be worth more than others and the tamers would make a better profit, but never maximum size, let them learn from their owners, and let them 'grow' together to form a bond, if that's possible, as I'm sure it is for some.