1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taming...with a purpose

Discussion in 'Taming' started by krm398, Jan 15, 2011.

1. krm398

krm398 Member

If we are allowed to tame native creatures lets not get excited about small, cuddly animals to show our friends. Lets think: survival...on earth the first animals to be tamed were either for food, or to help protect our homes and families (dogs and wolves)..so lets do that instead, on EU they left us tame animals but with No purpose other than to brag about them, and it failed badly. No one or at least not enough people thought that bragging was worth the cost, so lets have animals we can ride, or will follow and help protect us, that would make having one worthwhile.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

The tamed pets did serve two good purposes you must admit. One was they made great advertising terminals and minimal cost compared to the MA pay and pray stsem on the video screens. not to mention they didnt repat crappy music or drone on about paintings repeatedly till your ears bled. Second they were greeat to create lag that effected the hit rate of mobs attacking you. Now days that has been reprogrammed as the opposite.. we get lag and themonsters hit rate immediately goes to 100%

I did have fun in skilling whips in hopes MA would at some point make what we tamed usable for other then the above mentioned purposes. I have no doubt it will come back strong at some point. Obviously it will be at an added cost to do like MF has been but there may be usefulness of the end result as well. What that end result will be I am sure will be perverted beyond normal thoughts on what taming should be as that seems to be standard practice now with everything added. We shall just have to wait and see what they do to it.

3. raynopssgold

raynopssgold Active Member

I think that tame and riding on the animal would be utterly awesome lol

4. krm398

krm398 Member

Somehow, using an animal for a bill board just wasn't what I had in mind for a 'pet'..lol and shouldn't be allowed, it's animal abuse...hahaha.

5. Cyborg Bill

haha why not ? fat guys use their bellies for ads at sporting events. Why cant I spray paint a Hippo as long as its not permanant. Id do a lizard or a chicken but I think they move to fast for most to read.

6. M Rufen Power

M Rufen Power Member

LOL I have to agree with krm398 about pets. When I first saw them I thought they were used to protect the owner or be able to ride them. Boy was I sadly fooled and mistaken. Instead people used them as parlor tricks at parties & mega billboards by giving their pets nonames :(. Oh the horror. Yes I would like pets to protect their owner and attack other mobs or players if commanded too. Would serve more of a purpose indeed. When your pet sustains to much damage or is low on health he retreats back into your inventory :D sorry for the pokemon comparison there. But yeah they go into your inventory or just retreat behind the owner, if it dies like you or is badly injured you give it nutrio bars to heal it or another heal item just for pets ;).

Imagine owning 10 Daikiba Stalkers O_O based on your taming profession ofc & could charge them into pvp :D, chaos. Every time your pet successfully eliminated a mob it would give you the skill gains for taming for such an act. Or if you tamed a Daikiba Young and then through battling with it, it grow to Stalker size O_O, pokemon again lol. But again this gives purpose. Taming a stalker would be very tough to do with a whip anyway so why not raise it to stalker level? Not sure where the decay would be from Daikiba's doing such tasks other than it is going to cost you a lot of nutrio bars :).

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Well-Known Member

Kamaldon, I choose You!

"Kamaldon, I choose you!"...... :p

Great ideas guys. It certainly wouldn't hurt if we had some of the stuff mentioned. As a player, I'd die (maybe not) to be able to ride on my pet and have it protect me when I'm mining. I know i'm lazy but I'd also like a feature that can be added onto pets to pick up my loots automatically so I can concentrate on shooting mobs. It'd be Uber!:cool:

As you know, taming is currently being redeveloped by MA. We'll certainly share more information when we can. In the meantime, do keep the ideas coming. ;)

8. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

Didyou guys get an ETA on pets?

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Well-Known Member

Hey Harmony, unfortunately, we have not gotten an ETA on pets yet.

10. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

Well Marco allready said taming was being redeveloped to include riding animals. Not sure if protection is part of the revamped system but sure would be an interesting feature. Protection via taming would drastically alter hunting dynamics. You could then perhaps hunt without even firing a single shot e.g. tame and atrox and let it chew up merps :)

11. M Rufen Power

M Rufen Power Member

Indeed George, yes maybe then we will see $1 per hour game play :p

12. Shinobi

Shinobi Guest

I personally like the cuddly small pet idea also. Brings life to your appartment if you have one. Something fluffy that purrs and rubs against you and without the need to return it to a stable when logging out as long as the small pet remains in your appartment and fed. Give us more pet variations in the verse ;)

13. ifuri

ifuri Gold Member Gold Member

That is my taming vision!!! i make it that last year.

[video=youtube;U9vbzHayeEw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9vbzHayeEw[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

lol very cool ifuri :)

15. krm398

krm398 Member

Well, we had horses..(sort of) on EU..and a lot of animals that could be beasts of burden, meaning carrying heavy weights for you. Animals that could be defensive could be anything from merps,(their fast and a real bother if your not careful), and atrox and atrax,things like dikibos aren't that vicious, but they might make good riding animals, in the middle sizes, stalkers are a bit tall for that..lol.So a killer type fighting animal to ride into battle might be a armax, that's something built low to the ground and very strong.Personally, I can't see some of the animals being used at all, or we'd look like the Flintstones with dinos pulling carts, that would be too much.

As far as small animals for pets just for fun, we do have some birds that could be tamed maybe, and their small, and sing for you.But there's a limit to how many small animals we have that won't grow into monsters right now, maybe a wildcat of some sort on Arcadia? One that doesn't get much bigger than a big dog.(think ocelot maybe?) If Arcadia is a jungle world, or part of it is, then lots of small animals could be around for that, as well as some cats big enough to kill people, now that's a pet for protection.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cyborg Bill

I just thought of something here with taming and why it has not really evolved. MA is not well known for lag managment specially in crowded places. (I do admit they have gotten much better tho) Many people are into taming for various reasons. Some want cute and cuddly pets to have around like in other games. Others want functional pets from ones to carry loads to ones that do battle.

Hardware is going to be tamings largest adversary. Adding tons of pets to the game would require massive upgrades to the server system we have now. With more and more people leaving and even further more stopping investing or at least cutting way back the probability that taming will come anytime soon is truely unlikely. If it does I would expect very limited function of tamed pets as the more there are in game the more problems it WILL cause in this regard. I will also go ahead and say taming will become very expensive as will owning a pet. Simply the cost of adding these to the game will come at a big cost in the server aspect so that cost will obviously be passed to us.

I like the idea of taming and having pets. I even spent time skilling but realisticly what they would cost the game to have them back over other systems is sadly the more I look at it becoming lower on my list of priorities.

17. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

From the first time I saw Phasm I wanted to be able to walk around with a couple on chains :D

18. krm398

krm398 Member

Throw a body suit of armor on an Argonaut and have him follow you around as a body guard..lol. I understand the hardware issue, but if they don't do more with pets than they did last time, then having them is just a waste for them to go through again.

19. krm398

krm398 Member

maybe too late

Was just looking at this link again after a while, and it suddenly struck me....we always wanted animals for riding, but with vehicles now, many people won't use them anyways, so we're back to either them helping defend you while you work, or being just a pet to show off.Riding your pet might look nice, but they take damage like you do, so riding while your hunting/mining might work, but it still won't get you from island to island, or through mobs, so maybe they waited too long, not sure I'd have one now that I have a vehicle to get around quicker in.

20. Kane

Kane Member

At this stage i dont care what they do "just bring em back soon"
    I'm sick of having skills i spent lots of time & ped on & not even be able to use them :(

Btw i wanted the pets to be able to carry large loads for us for mining & long hunts drop the loot off & pick up ammo.
    Ozi I hope ur team is looking at having your pets doing that & possibly even more to stand you out from the rest of the planets it would be a subtle but big addition to Arkadia i my eyes, (If they arent already going to be doing that)?

Q. Can you put ur own spin on them after they are re released?