1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swunting vs sweating + hunting

Discussion in 'New Player Discussions' started by Lovefall, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Lovefall

Lovefall Deactivated User

Hyellow! :)

When I started, I was told by my mentor (and I guess a few other people) that swunting (puny creatures) is a really cool option for a newbie - getting some skills, while the money from sweat and loot should be enough to cover not only the expenses, but also generate a small, but steady profit. And that proved to be totally correct.

Yet, there is at least one biggish inconvenient - between mobs I have to either heal (which costs money via decay), either rest (waiting for my natural regen); all that time being effective dead time.

And that leads me to the following question: Wouldn't it be better to just split the two activities? As in go sweat (at the sweat circles) for a while, then with the (equivalent of the) money from the sweat just go do normal hunting? This way there will be less dead times or healing costs...

So... what do you think? Swunting vs (sweating and hunting separately)? Which one is better and why? :)

Thank you in advance for all answers! :)

Cheers,
    Alex

2. Matt Macca Johnson

Matt Macca Johnson Member

I will put my 2 pec worth on this one,
    Technically when you are sweating in circles you are swunting, as everyone is sweating the animal and then one person is able to kill the animal when it is dry. Doing it in a syndicate (circle) you are sharing the sweat, as well as sharing the damage from the mob.

Usually the mob is at a level where a share of the sweat is enough for all players involved, so this usually means more hit points, therefore usually someone is running around healing the other players.

I have been part of these sweat circles and will still in the future, it doesn't always cost you (as an individual) to be part of the syndicate, but if you are the one healing it does, I for one feel obligated to sometimes heal, otherwise it wouldn't be a syndicate.

The other option for sweating for free, is to sweat until you have sweat one mob and then drag it back to an outpost so the automated gun near the outpost kills the mob, then move on to the next. This is just a waste of what ever loot the mob was programmed with.

I have worked out that "there is nothing in EU for free" even the items that are "free" will take time to get. So if you have time you can exchange it for PED.

I believe the most economical way to push forward is to swunt, solo or as a syndicate it doesn't matter, but you have to be prepared to have time and be prepared to share in both the pros and the cons of both.

As for healing costs, don't forget that every thing your avatar does in EU gains you some sort (even if it is minimal) or experience, including dying. So you don't always have to heal, but healing gives you experience in that as well.

What I do is: I sweat over near event area 2. There is 2 reasons for this.

1. there is low level mobs, that I can get 10 sweat out of each mob and they only do 2-4 damage on average. (Carabok and Gallard)

2. I am 1500 out of 5000 on Carabok and Gallard and this area will allow me to finish the missions effectively.

I use a knife that is only 7 Ped to repair and most times I will get that value back from loot and sweat (as you suggested above).
    This game is a long term investment to try replicate RL, if you are planning on finishing it in the next decade, you are in the wrong game.

Cheers,
    Macca

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. wournos

wournos Active Member

For me I swunt. I use this so called dead time on my other computer, either watching series on a streaming site, read through this forum, use Entropedia or work on my website (among other things). Sweat groups are not for me because they require more attention than I'm willing to give for such an activity. I'm also after evade skill and I don't feel I would get that equally fast splitting my activities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mastermesh

mastermesh Active Member

Sweat til agro. Then kill. Less sweat, but less healing needed

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Fu

The Fu New User

Yes, there is dead time...now. If you are swunting caraboks it may take a little while to happen but eventually you will build up enough evade skill that you won't have that dead time any longer. The higher level of evade will also mean that you can hunt other low level mobs without armor. That's been my experience anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Bradley Killer Kell

Bradley Killer Kell Member

Swunting takes longer, most don't have the patience to fully commit to it... but it's hyper-efficient.

There was a day on Calypso where those Calypso Bone Samples would sell, and Swunting in the New Player Area would actually net Real Profit between Loot, Sweat and Bones. As far as I know, the market on Bones has dried up, but if not that's a great place to Swunt.

7. Bradley Killer Kell

Note on Swunting: You waste the Sweat (and Bone Samples in Calypso starter, where they drop A LOT more steadily than on Main Calypso) if your Weapon isn't Eco.

Look for something in the 2.85 to 2.9+ Dam per PEC region. Entropia Tools: Compare Weapons will let you check it out.

8. San

San Well-Known Member

In the sweat circles at Celeste Outpost, there is usually only one person who kills the mob at the end. The events at Windy Isle instead tend to have a kill team under the agreement that everybody uses low level weapons (max. 6 dmg), so loot is shared as equally as possible. If I don't get to be the sole killer myself, which is most of the time, I much prefer the latter option. This way you simply get the best reward of both activities without having to compete for it with other avatars.

9. Bradley Killer Kell

Absolutely. I look at them as two different beasts, swunting vs. circles. Most of the circles I've done have had a big baddy who was the primary for the Kill, and any lowbie shooting was just wasting PEC because he was completely out-gunned.

But for Solo Swunting, or Small Team Swunting, having an Eco Weapon is always the best choice. If you Sweat prior to the kill, but then unload with Rocket Launchers... you pretty much wasted the time (PED-wise) you spent getting the Sweat in the first place.

If it's a Circle, just let the Heavy Hammer go ahead and do his thing, while you focus on the Sweat and Defensive Skills. :D