1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subcategorical Skills.

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by Telgard, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Telgard

Telgard Member

This is just an idea to show that their might be key differences between different planets that might need to be taken into account and not just lumped into one skill.

Geology Skill
    -Calypson Geology Skill
    -Arkadian Geology Skill
    Biology Skill
    -Calypson Biology Skill
    -Arkadian Biology Skill
    Botany Skill
    -Calypson Botany Skill
    -Arkadian Botany Skill
    Zoology Skill
    -Calypson Zoology Skill
    -Arkadia Zoology Skill

Current General skills would be split with current homeworld gaining 75% of Skill points and 25% being placed into the main General Skill. That way some of the main skill can be used on all planets but part of the skill has to be relearned or adapted to a different planet. ...Sorry, I'm not really counting Next Island and Rocktopia..but I guess those could be put in as well.

Translocation & Xenobiology might be splittable as well.

This would make it to where the General skill would account for half of the skill and the given planet's skill would account for the other half when determining skill & profession levels for different planets.

2. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

haha do you know how off kilter that woul send professional levels. They only way to balance that would be to add a previously earned share in a a new skill or professions would simply not function on a new planet. Im not up for being handed a ton of skills as that will yet again make them even more worthless. I am also most definately against another nerf if they will start at zero.

If new skills are to be added it should be an across the board set for a whole new profession where starting at 0 would be balanced. Spliting current skills to be planet specific would just throw a massive wrench into an already borked system

3. Tancred

Tancred Member

4. Telgard

Telgard Member

@Cyborg Bill: It would do minimal damage to your professional levels.

How is it nerfing if you've never gained skill lvls in those skills yet? oh course they would be at zero for the subskills: If you had say lvl 20 General Geology Skill + lvl 25 Calypson Geology Skill and you traveled to say Next Island or Arkadia your Calypson Geology Skill would
    not apply at all or very little depend on how the planet partner decided to ratio off-planet skills. You can't expect Calypson and Arkadian Geology to be exactly alike. Therefore, you would always be leveling main General Geology skill and when you enter different planets you skill there given Geology Skill. Professions on PP's would then have different ratios of skills to determine how a profession is lvled up.

.....hmmmm in my head it is very simple math but I can't seem to explain it.

@Tancred: That's correct! and it also allows planets to partially or completely narrow the gap between ubers crossing over and noobs starting from scratch especially with planet specific professions.

...I realize that it might even be a bit to complex to code without bugs too..because what would end up happening is when you travel to another planet. Profession LvLs would change...technically starting off they would be lower than your homeworld lvls.

@Cyborg Bill again lol: Ok...I'm going to try and explain it now... more specifically and use only one profession to show you what I would be suggesting outside of Planet specific professions.

Using Profession: Surveyor
    I will only use one split and that is the geology split.
    The following skills are involved with this profession.

[​IMG]Attributes: Intelligence3
    [​IMG]General: Perception5
    [​IMG]General: Serendipity 2
    [​IMG]Mining: Geology 20
    [​IMG]Mining: Ground Assessment 9
    [​IMG]Mining: Miner 5
    [​IMG]Mining: Mineral Sense 6
    [​IMG]Mining: Surveying50
    % equal 1 level
    When the splitting of the stat is implemented everyone will pick a home planet. Home planet will get (Example: Initial split percent could be different) 75% skills gained.
    Say you have 10000 in Geology Originally and you pick Calypso as your original homeworld:
    2500 is put into the General Geology Skill
    7500 is put into the Calypson Geology Skill
    This is two levels of Surveyor.
    When you go to Next Island or Arkadia you will still have
    2500 General Geology Skill
    7500 Calypson Geology Skill
    but you will gain a 3rd Skill, NI Geology Skill or Arkadian Geology Skill set to 0
    On either of these planets Profession lvl would be General Skill + Arkadian/NI Skill which start off would be near .5 Surveyor.

This also gives rise to cross planetary professions like master professions that equal
    General Geology Skill + All Planetary Skills

Planetary skills would also gain exp bonuses depend on how high your general skill is.
    So say that once again your General Geology Skill is 2500 and you head to Arkadia or NI, you get double or triple exp until you reach your General Geology skill.

5. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

I cant even be bothered to look into what you suggest but do you really think we need to make it even more expensive/harder for new and old people?
    Having to keep different weapon/tools depending on which planet you want to visit, making skill chipping almost impossible to figure out for newbies AND old players and so on...

Keep skills the way they are, or wasn't this a universe where you travel between planets and bring your avatar/peds with you?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Well Telgard its easy to explain the nerf.

If you skilled normal on one planet and say hit level 20 in a profession. Now you go to planst X and continue that profession. The exception being is now one of your sub skills is starting at 0. You are now so unbalanced you will hardly get anything in return and just piss ped to the wind until that skill gets semi caught up.

If you dont believe my go chip out a sub skill of yours and see what happens to your returns in that profession. Trust me on this.. I KNOW from experience what being unbalanced is all about.

7. Telgard

Telgard Member

Technically, new people probably won't even notice until/unless they traveled between planets.

Having to keep different weapons/tool on different planets is a must for planets that don't the same theme or/and the same storyline; Its pretty easy to figure out. Chipping is easy; Always try to chip the General Skill first because planet Skills are planet specific and if you read my second post: Planetary skills would also gain exp bonuses depend on how high your general skill is.
    So say that once again your General Geology Skill is 2500 and you head to Arkadia or NI, you get double or triple exp until you reach your General Geology skill.

Yes, this is universe were you can travel between planets and as your universe expands so should your avatars ability to gain skills, professions and ped. The universe is growing; Shouldn't your avatar be too?

8. Telgard

Telgard Member

Yea.. I just looked at my math again. LoL..Its broken.. argg. ...so, it needs a little working out. :D

Edit: When I say broken, I'm talking about the math of subdividing the skills... The general Geology skill would have to lvl a lot slower in order to equal out because for the most part planetary skills would gain experience so fast that 10000 General Geology Skill + 10000 Calypso Geology Skill would mean that you have twice the number of points in the Geology field. ..and because 10000 General Geology + Double / Triple Exp for Arkadian Geology Skill until Arkadian Geology Skill reaches 10000 points.

This means that either some nerfing is going to have to be involved or everyone is going to have a crap load of levels.

The only reason you would think it is unbalanced is because you are trying to play at the same level as before when your stats for this planet clearly show that you are no longer at that level.

See next post for Cross-Planetary Nerfing ->

9. Telgard

Telgard Member

Ok so, I fixed my last post ...after thinking about it for a while.

I must say I am for cross-planetary Nerfing.

I will start by linking to the Blood Moss incident. Now imagine two or three planets each having a few unique resources and many resources that are very common amongst each other. Is it really fair for some uber to show up from offworld just to harvest all the planet's rarer resources and then just jump back on ship and take off back to their world?

Having sub-categorical planetary skill levels will have these three results they would either have to chip up their planetary skill with the local's assistance, try to gain exp in the local environment, or buy the resources from local players.

It also makes the Universe more Dynamic. ...And everyone loves Dynamic worlds :D