1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of Arkadian crafting?

Discussion in 'Crafting' started by remontoire, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

This is the thing about crafting... most items are sold at break even or below their cost to craft on the general market, either because of market pressure or because crafters don't do the math (it isn't easy to calculate accurately). It can make those who calculate look like they're charging high prices. Buyers and sellers set the price... if the sellers aren't paying attention, the buyers will drive prices down too far.

If you approach crafting like a business, you'll likely do well. If you take it casually, don't calculate, and don't pick your crafted items carefully or gamble-click, you can lose peds fast (these are the ones who drive prices down). This is why I usually tell newer players to avoid crafting until they've got more experience with the game (and a larger ped card).

2. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Indeed it does Harmony.

IMO though, FAR TOO MANY people take the auction history is gospel. It never has taken into account shop/booth sales nor p2p trades. A lot of the stuff sold on auction is done so to make a quick ped not generally in thought of a sustainable long term business; thus further artificially decreasing the true market price average. It also doesn't discriminate by planet either (a HUGE failing IMO) so it will always be a massively Calypso weighted average, again making it an unreliable source (depending on the item/commodity we are talking about).

Having a recorded MU of say 150% may be all good for a certain item, but if you cannot get it through the auction for months on end then the same item in a shop for 180% consistently/regularly becomes far better value.

That is where a business like ours fills the gap.

Anyway, I didn't mean that to sound like a lecture on business practice, even though that is how it seems to have come out.

This is a pretty good example of what I was getting at too.

3. wournos

wournos Active Member

Actually, I do sell below MU. If I can't then I keep my stuff until I can sell just below MU. I won't lie though, there have been materials that I have sold for above MU in the past. I changed my approach because it just won't work in the long run.