1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPACE: What does a Red triagle on the HUD mean?

Discussion in 'Space' started by Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer Member

Just came across this thread and wanted to make an additional post about "that little red triangle" and Snape saying how he needed to "ask questions first and shoot later"....

Be WARNED....

A common trick these days is to switch seats in the quad so the triangle turns BLUE...not red or green...but BLUE which gives the impression they are neutral and therefore safe.

Then when you head out, suddenly a red triangle appears behind you and shoots you down and you are like..WTH???

Well, you just got backdoored and sucker punched thanks to the karma system not working right.

What some/alot of pirates do is sit right next to the space stations in their spare seat showing a blue triangle and waiting for that next victim to pop out of the hatch, then they lock on, wait for them to enter PvP space and shift to the driver seat, flipping to a red triangle and away goes the kismet BOOM BOOM BOOM and you are half dead (or all dead) before you have a chance.

Its a dang good tactic and highly effective. But, its BUSTABLE if you simply take some time to FLY AROUND THE STATION and do a VISUAL of the area before you enter PvP space.

Just pop out, ignore the triangles totally and take a look see by doing a once (or thrice) drive around the station and if you see a known pirate...bump em and say "Hi Mr or Ms Pie Rat...not going to get me today...sorry" and then park or go back into the space station and wait (or lock on and turn your guns toward them and back out so if they come after you then you can at least duel them properly).

Most of the time, you can, with a little brain juice, avoid pirates.

And NEVER carry lootables in space....

2. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

The triangle tags have changed since that thread was posted (it has been 2 years!). MA decides to change them every few VUs so I guess the best advice is just ignore tag color. :)

3. narfi

narfi Active Member Pro Users

A triangle means there is a ship. :p

4. Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer

Dwarf Simeron Steelhammer Member

Heh at narfi and Neil.

Think the best advice is to find a Privateer or MS and pay for the warp or learn pirates by name and do the once or thrice around the space station...at least for now.

That and don't carry lootables into space if you can avoid it. :cowboy:

5. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

As I understood it, a blue triangle signifies that a vacant or unoccupied vehicle in within your visual range (by vacant, I mean that the control/driver/pilot seat is unoccupied), not that the vehicle is necessarily neutral.

Pirates commonly use this tactic to hide among the multiple ships around space stations by sitting in the gunner seat, thus making the ship appear "unoccupied". They then wait till their victim has crossed out into PvP and then jump into the pilot seat to give chase (some of the less "honourable" pirates even use KNOWN exploits to gain excessive speed etc in order to easily chase down their prey).

I'm not sure if they "fixed" the vehicle reputation bit or not so I won't comment there but I know that if it is red, I stay as far away as possible or I stop in the safezone, dock with the nearest station and logoff as with my limited gaming time these days I simply am not prepared to waste the little time I have trying to out wait some filthy* pirate.

* Disclaimer - I do not know if pirate avatars shower regularly and have well kept virtual personal hygiene or not, I'm speaking purely from a subjective and figurative standpoint only ;)

6. Kri

Kri New Member

How it currently works (and I've tested it) is that you see Green triangle if you are on the same "side" of karma and are within certain levels of karma from the other player. Red triangle means that the other player's karma is much different than yours.

Which means that two players with very bad karma will see each other as Green triangles and anyone with good karma as Red.
    Two players with very good karma will see each other as Green and anyone with bad karma as Red.

What's interesting is that players with karma close to neutral will see both - good and bad karma players - as Red.