1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleipnir Exploit?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ArchAngel, May 22, 2013.

1. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Active Member

I read on another forum that you can get your account banned for using the Sleipnir while hunting. Is this still true? I have spawned mine to escape getting my avatar killed by creatures I can't kill while mining, but just realized why this could be an advantage while hunting. Sorry if this question has been answered in another post. Thanks for the input all!

2. Larkin

Larkin Platinum Member Staff Member PAF Senior Mod Platinum Member

The Slep "exploit" is using aircraft to hunt mobs above your level by ping ponging aggro between two people far away (so that the mob does not hit you). You're mining so I'm sure you are fine.

EDIT: I do the same thing when mining; I don't want any big Yuka or Riptor to destroy me and disrupt my run.

3. Robinsilni

Robinsilni Member

Answered already while i was ``fast typing``

4. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Active Member

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Last thing I want is to get my account blocked!

5. Frigid

Frigid Member

Is this an exploit? We used to ping-pong with Marbers. Tricky, but doable. Might take a few hits, but that's part of the fun ;)

MA has the ability to make things "unreachable" and to make aggro un-switchable until the target is reached. I love how they put the onus on us to not use these "exploits" instead of just fixing them. I mean, we have had "exploits" that have existed for *YEARS*, and people have used them, and few have been banned for them...but still the warnings persist.

It makes me wonder if the code is a black-box, even to them.

I cant teleport when being attacked wihthout a bubble. Maybe make getting in ships take a few seconds, and if you get hit in that time, it disrupts the entry.

6. Larkin

I believe MA has said it's an exploit.

7. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

AFAIK people only use this exploit to hunt proterons which are super-slow and very big. I don't think such a technique would help you with any mobs on ark, since we have fast mobs. The exploit involves repeatedly hopping in your vehicle and flying back and forth to avoid any armor decay while hunting.

It's not an exploit to hop into your VTOL when being attacked by mobs or when you're out mining. That is in fact what it is designed for :)

8. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

Not to start a fight but how do you know that's what it's designed for?

Sure use it while mining everywhere you can go on foot or in hills = no exploit

But drop down in the middle of a big mob spawn where you couldn't mine without a flying non attracting vehicle without big armor/weapon decay = exploit, if you ask me but I know all the miners don't agree

9. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

By that reasoning, using any vehicle for any purpose is an exploit, since it gives you an unfair advantage over old school players who refuse to use vehicles and toddle around on foot.

An exploit is only something that the game designers never intended players to use. I don't think anyone can seriously believe that the game designers never foresaw that players would land VTOLs near mobs or use vehicles to get away from mobs.

10. Larkin

Agreed, it's silly.

11. Robinsilni

Robinsilni Member

We do ingame whatever is allowed to us by programmers from MA. If something is giving us unfair advantage, then fix it in new VU, don`t ban somebody just because they used something you gave them to use.

You all know how valkyrie looks. Drivers seat, and shooters seat. When they implement weapon attachments on valkyrie, if they ever do, allowing shooter to equip weapon and shoot mobs, all armors would be useless, even shadow-angel.
    Example:
    I drive, other guy shoots, valkyrie is faster that riptor and most other mobs, so why should i stand there and get hit by mob while being in some fancy armor, when i can drive naked, shooter can shoot naked. Would that be an exploit?
    But those things would never happen in EU. THey might allow attachments in PvP but to shoot mobs, it would take them great chunk of profit from no repairs, so this ain`t gonna happen.
    Imagine hopping into vehicle with your m8, equipping your main weapon, shooting mobs, when they start running towards you, driver drives away at the same speed, allowing you to not be hit at all, and shoot down mob. Just like in that Jurassic park movie, when they are outrunning T-Rex in a jeep.

Everybody have their own opinion so i am not trying to say what is 100% right because i don`t know, but what i think would be right and just by MA programers. If you gave us vehicles, we can use them in many different ways. By the way, i am not using that kind of ping pong hunting and will not do it till i see fit to do it, because that is allowed to be done, why not. If you don`t like people doing that kind of thing, implement feran being able to fly higher and attack VLOTs, or some other creatures. Ingame flying is a total safe zone, and they know it. 99% people ingame have no money for fancy armor, so why not to use what is given to you already? Sleip rule!

12. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I'm not going to argue the rights and wrongs of different tactics. Bottom line is that MA have ruled that ping pong hunting with vtols is an exploit and they have penalised players for doing it. So if you are planning on doing it, be aware that you risk being penalised.

13. Fifth

Fifth Member

i'm not an expert or anything, but i think:

• ping-pong tactics in team -- all good and fine
    • using sleip while hunting -- questionable; systematic use (no matter if in team or alone) can prolly get u banned

14. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Active Member

I have no interest in doing it, just didn't realize it was against the rules. I enjoy the challenge of being killed by bigger mobs without an unfair advantage. It's part of what makes Arkadia so exciting. Thank you all for the replies, very informative!

15. SLD

SLD Member

I don't understand how this can be considered an exploit, or at least don't agree with it being considered as such. Here are some reasons why:
    1) The ped saved on armor decay will be close to the ped lost on mob HP regen, while vtoling to new positions. Therefore it will cost the same, if not more to kill the mob.
    2) If killing a mob without that mob being able to attack you is a bannable offense, they should do away with long range rifles or rifles in general. vtol hunting or not. Will MA do this? No, because it's part of the game.
    3) If this was a serious problem, it could/would be solved easily by making mobs to not de-agro when someone got in a vtol. Still unable to attack you of course, but they could follow you to ensure that you can't get at range. Will MA do this? Doubt it.

You are not getting any unfair advantage imo, you are just spending your ped in an unusual way, and this method of hunting is not eco. I have done some solo vtol hunting a few times in the past, and found that the returns were always bad. It seems as though there is some system already in place to handle this, where you will get lower returns if not taking armor decay. Or perhaps it's if the mob doesn't hit you X amount of times, armor or not. Also, I think this will always be a short term practice, not something someone will do for hours or days on end, especially if they find poor returns like I did. For example, a long time ago I was out mining and came across a Longtooth and figured I would try to kill it. This was when I was thoroughly a noob and had neither gun nor armor to handle it. So I vtol hunted the thing, and it cost me 30+ ped to take it down. Guess what I got in the loot? Nova fragments! :D So yea, if anyone does this for long they will lose ped I'm sure. If it is an exploit, it's that MA can take your ped faster than normal.

16. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

It's an exploit cos MA says it is.

17. Fifth

Fifth Member

Aye, have the same gut feeling - MA often doesn't even try to write code to make it impossible to cheat (it's never 100% effective anyway). Much more cost-effective is to use "RCE approach" and simply impose slight "adjustments" to the loot - a la "go ahead, cheat all u want!" :D
    Most likely MA wouldn't admit they use this method if asked thou (referring to company secrets and stuff), and it's extremely difficult for a player to prove anything... so we'll prolly never know for sure.

18. Karmic Natures

Karmic Natures Member

yay risk free training mobs onto other hunters!!

19. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

As Karmic mentions this wasn't done this way to avoid mob trains, but why is it so unthinkable that a mob would attack a flying vehicle while it's still on the ground?
    Fly up it lose aggro, but as long as you sit on the ground it can get attacked just as any other vehicle(which will cause them to take hits now and then), boats were also not attacked from the start but suddenly I had a silly Atrax try to attack me in my boat while cruising a beach at Calypso

20. SLD

SLD Member

I think this is how it should be really. As you said all you have to do is fly up like 20m and you're safe again. Would really add a feeling of danger when you're running from a Kamaldon and trying to spawn vtol at the same time, hoping you can fly up out of range before it crushes the vehicle. Then again, the miners would throw a big fit over this, and over all it would make vehicles much less useful. So It probably will never be changed. Would be more fun though. :)