1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill Increase vs. Profession Increase

Discussion in 'Skills' started by rick_janson, Dec 11, 2011.

1. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

A soc member made a comment tonight about how his skilling had slowed down, and a newer member asked if they had slowed down skill progress. After explaining it, he seemed to understand.

Anyway, for any other player that might be wondering about this same type of thing, I drew up a quick illustration in Paint.NET and thought I'd share it with everyone else...

View attachment 3036

It's a curve upwards where it takes an increasing number of skill gains to get the same profession gains.

Hope that helps someone. :)

2. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Are you sure about this? I thought skill to profession relationship was linear but that skill gain drops off (less gain per TT decay) as it gets higher.

3. rick_janson

I'm not positive if it's skill lines or skill points, but it's the same effect either way...

4. KikkiJikki

I just did a couple of experiments using this excellent tool

I loaded two skill files. File one had rifle skills set to 3000. Sniper hit = 39.53.
    File 2 had rifle = 6000, Sniper hit = 51.23

I then used the professions tab to see how much I would need to increase rifle skill in order to grow Sniper Hit by exactly 10 levels

File one - additional rifle skill required = 2566, TT cost 202.17 (for a chip to effect that increase)
    File two - additional rifle skill required = 2566, TT cost 1126.5

So you can see that there is a linear relationship between skill gain and profession increase.

I'm not sure if its valid to equate the implant TT cost to cost of "natural skilling" through activities that cause decay but that is a common assumption (its very difficult to test this).

In any case I believe your graph would be accurate if x axis was "Current skill level" and y axis was "TT cost per skill point gained"

Regards,
    KikkiJikki

5. rick_janson

I don't know that you can call that "linear" without more data points... Two points might show you an apparent correlation, but not linear vs exponential/logarithmic. But obviously it takes more skill lines while actually skilling up to achieve the same effect, hence the higher TT value.

And yes, I'm always using the Chipping Optimizer... It's in the favorites bar for quick access. ;)

6. KikkiJikki

You dont think its significant that it takes the exact same amount of skill gain to grow the profession by 10 levels for either test?

Basically I am asserting with evidence that to grow any profession level by an arbitrary amount, you need to grow a given related skill by an amount that is independant of the starting value of the skill or profession.

Regardsm
    KikkiJikki

7. Leona

Leona Member

There are no mysteries with the skill system anymore since we have pro standing panel (that wasn't always the case) and skill panel.

Professions are simply based on a set of skills and attributes each with different contributing percentages.

In example Rifle skill points contribute 39% to the profession Laser Sniper (Hit). So thats the 'linear' relationship Kikki is talking about.

But skills are measured in points and TT volume (what big an esi would fill in example extracting an skill with 1000 points). And this relationship is not linear. Thats what rick is talking about (indirectly).

However your graph is wrong rick because it illustrates the relationship between skill points and skill volume but not between skill points and professions. If you replace axis label 'Skill Increase' with 'TT Volume' and replace 'Profession Increase' with 'Skill points' then it is right.

Skill gain messages in chat however don't mean that much because the volume you gain per line varies. There is some relationship as an avatar with say 10K rifle skills don't see a lot of lines shooting an opalo while a 1K skill avatar sees a lot.

However that could leed to the common misconception that a small weapon skills worser and worser the higher your skills are. Depending how you look at it this is not the case:

The 10k rifle skill avatar gains the same TT volume of skills shooting the opalo as the 1k avatar.

The 10k rifle skill avatar gains a lot less skill points however because he needs more volume to 'fill up' one skill point.

To sum it up: As you progress in your skill levels you need to use bigger weapons to maintain the same skill point and profession progression rate because the skill point and skill volume relationship changes, not because the skill point and profession relationship changes (as you graph would now suggest rick).

8. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I agree 100% with what Leona said. I just wanted to point out that it's also true for other skills, not just weapons. Take evade skill as an example, since I've looked at it (casually) before. Go measure how much your evade skill goes up each time with the following mobs: carabok, hadraada, yuka.

Skill-ups from carabok and hadraada are equal, but skill-ups from yuka are significantly higher (at least for my skill level). Maybe it gives you an extra skill if it kills you in one chomp, I don't know. I haven't really taken a look at other mobs' evade skillups... maybe an interesting project for this week. :)

9. stefanbond

stefanbond Member

that would be very good to know:D, very usefull infortion till now to