1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signs for new players

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by Beanie Bugbear Adamski, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Beanie Bugbear Adamski

Beanie Bugbear Adamski Member

what about a few signs so advertising the Arkadian advisers in game, so new players no who to look for to ask for help, a lot don't register in forums to start with.

A few signs on the mandatory tp's that everyone gets when they are born.

sort of like " Lost, not sure what to do" Look for the helpful Arkadian advisers"

they are the players in the Arkadian advisers vest, will help answer your questions

maybe a list of advisers

you know something like that. just a point in the right direction sort of thing.

don't know if anyone has said this before without going through all the forum.

Bugbear

• Like Like x 2
  2. David | Arkadia

David | Arkadia Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Planet Arkadia Official

That's a really cool idea and your timing is great. We are currently working through the new player experience which will have billboards for the different companies represented in the backstory - MAKO Blades, P-Tech mining gear, Herman guns etc. We'll also include a sign for the forum. But I have to admit, I didn't have the Advisers on my list - so now it is on the list :)

3. Beanie Bugbear Adamski

Beanie Bugbear Adamski Member

Can't wait for the update next week Dave sounds like its going to be good :) Also looking forward to listening to your Interview on friday

4. David | Arkadia

David | Arkadia Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Planet Arkadia Official

The content for next weeks update was closed off last week, so the signs are for an update in January. Of course plenty going in next week which I'll share more about in Friday's interview.

5. Yquem

Yquem Active Member Pro Users

Why not use a combination of mentors with most graduated disiples with best ranking - in a sign or add terminal?

6. David | Arkadia

I think we could put something in about mentors, not sure we are able to link in dynamically to show which mentors though. Anyone got a suggestion for the wording of a billboard that suggests new players should get a mentor?

7. Fopsie

Fopsie Active Member Pro Users

All I can say is yay :)

And +Rep OP :)

Edit: O this will probably also make that other idea I posted some time ago about intridusing adds into the game that displays video's about official events and stuff like Reliese note videos (like those Cyrus did some time ago) Possible :)

8. Puck

Puck Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Unless the display is linked dynamically to the mentor / disc stats, I don't see this as a viable option. Stats would become outdated instantly. Maybe, mention the mentor system and how to access the menu for it?

9. Fopsie

Fopsie Active Member Pro Users

Yes good idea. Keep it simple and sweat. Advise the players also not to just jump in and select a mentor out of the register simply buy applying till someone accepts them but to rather ask for help and if they like whoever helps them to request them to be mentored. To meny new players fall into the trap of simply selecting a mentor in the register that is not even on the same planet and usually in the end that player leaves off for the planet their mentor is on and we lose another newbie.

10. RexDameon

RexDameon Active Member Pro Users

you know the more i think about it the more i'm agaist a sign pointing to mentors. I"m kind of agaist the add a disciple then teach them approach too. I generally help someone out give them some lessons and advice then ask them to be my disciple. I think thats a route that Arkadia staff should promote. As then they will get a real mentor and interaction.

If you put up a sign people will just add a mentor then expect some sort of message. Current system doesn't even allow that. So i see them going ok this mentor thing sucks. I'd rather stick to the old way where mentors hang out in one area and disciple can meet them there to find someone they can talk to first and get to know.

So maybe instead of telling them to use the mentor system tell them to goto a specific location to find a mentor. Maybe make like a bar like the mos esliey cantina with terminals and crafting machines and auction where mentors can hang out and point them to that or just some central location like the Quarry.

better yet would be to even give some silly thing for mentors to occupy themselves at that location too. like some sort of repeatable mission that really didn't give you something of value but was fun to do.

11. David | Arkadia

I'm thinking along the same lines as you Rex, a sign that lets people know we have a Mentor system and then suggesting they visit a location to find one. Have a look around following the update next week and then maybe suggest a location where we should direct people.

12. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I think that's a good idea. You could tell the noobs to get out there, talk to people and if they find someone who's experienced and is helpful to them, they can ask to be mentored. And I'd also recommend pointing them to the mentor forum here. That would also introduce them to the forum.

13. Bemo

Bemo Deactivated User

Bunch of good ideas. Will be nice to see some new signs up.

-Bemo-

14. RexDameon

after listening to the interviews sounds like the Quarry is going to be where newbs get a mentor. I was thinking about how we could make it fun for mentors and newbs. What if you made like a cave with some mid level mobs in it that a mentor would have to keep killing so that newbs could get through to a special newb area that had like newb missions and newb mobs and like an easy sweating place. Just be cool if mentors had to sort of unlock those areas for them to get to. Just something for us to do that would be fun while we hang out in that area.

15. Neil

Interesting idea.

16. zume

zume Active Member Pro Users

So what you want to do is force mentors to "pay" for their disciples?? cause if a mentor HAVE to shoot him and his disciples way through to the good noob spot, then thats what you will do.. I can see a lot of Arkadian mentors stopping as mentors.. I for one cannot pay my disciples a dime, and would not be able to do as suggested.. Which means my mentoring "business" would be dead in a day..

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS SUGGESTION AS IT IS PUT UP!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Neil

I don't think Rex had a "grinding" mission in mind here... and it wouldn't make sense to make it required for anyone. Just something to add to the fun, interest, and getting people to work together.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RexDameon

relax you totally got the wrong idea. just something better then standing around waiting for disciples to do is what i'm saying. and something that could benefit mentors and there disciples. not stuff you would have to do just something you could do.

19. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

I personally don't think discipleship should be pushed on anyone, it should be just stated that there are many good mentors on Arkadia, all you have to do is simply state in trade chat that you are interested and if there is a mentor around then they can talk to that person and draw their own conclusions of their mentoring capabilities and if they want to be their disciple.

I know I will never tell any new player that one mentor is better then the other because we all teach the same game and ideas in very different ways, but in the end we are all just trying to help new players achieve graduation. Some faster then others by offering disciples things along the way but that is totally up to the mentor and should not be even considered as something to expect a mentor to do.

Just a simple sign about Arkadia has many good mentors just ask around to find one that suits your game playing style. Mentors can help you get started in learning the basic systems of the game and get you started with knowing other people in the game.

As far as an advisor sign, something with an adviser and a new player in beginner cloths standing at the quarry. Then having something like this for text. "Are you lost? Need some helpful advise a point in the right direction? Have a general question about Planet Arkadia or what to do? Ask one of our helpful Arkadian Advisers, they are always there and willing to help with any and all your Planet Arkadian questions. Welcome to friendly Planet Arkadia and enjoy your stay." Or something along those lines anyways. Zume your a writer clean that up for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

I have recommended one or two because of them being more mining or a successful non-depositor, etc. But the new player needs to understand that some are better than others at helping/giving advice/etc.. Just depends on what the player is looking for to start playing.