1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important! Short Tips For Newcomers

Discussion in 'New Player Discussions' started by Larkin, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Lovefall

Lovefall Deactivated User

1. Don't spend more than you can afford to lose.

2. Don't dream that you can make RL$ out of thin air just because you are smarter than average; this just shows you are more naive than average.

3. Don't let mobs hit your (especially limited) vehicle. If they do that, get out of vehicle (have a bind) and pickup or recall the vehicle (have another bind) - is way less costly for you to die instead of your vehicle take TT damage.

2. Lunareth Luna Moon

Lunareth Luna Moon Member

Hey thought I'd make a small contribution here since I'll be an Arkadian soon. (Being a hunter this is mostly hunter related but can in most cases be applied to other professions)

1) Information saves money and time. Use Entropedia.info to find pretty much everything you need to know about gear, mobs, missions etc.

Use the tools section to compare armors and weapons with different setups (plates, amiplifiers, enhancers, etc).

2) Adjust your your gear after the mob you hunt and adjust the mob after your skills and budget

You need to try and find a balance between protection, fapping (healing yourself) and dps. If possible try to avoid overprotection (overprotection is when you never or rarely take more than 1 dmg when hit), usually this results in unnecessary armor repair costs. Same thing goes for your choice of weapon, you want a weapon that is well balanced against the mob you hunt. In general you want to take down a mob with somewhere between 10-20 shots (there are exceptions, large hp mobs i.e huon). The reason for this is because you don't want to "overkill" mobs, which basically means you pay unnecessary decay and ammo to kill a mob with a too strong weapon. Most hunters use 2-3 weapons, starting with a larger one and going down to a weaker one when the mob is almost dead. Last but not least, you want to be well balanced against a mob, because you need to take some dmg (by not being overprotected or killing too fast), since you will need to improve your paramedics skill by fapping. This being said, you don't want to fap during combat (having a mob chewing up your armor while you are trying to heal is never good). Again there are exceptions where you usually can't avoid having to combat fap since the mob might have high hp, in these cases it is good to have a more eco non-combat fap and a faster/stronger fap for combat healing (which again leads back to skilling your paramedics to be able to use better faps).

3) No matter what profession you stick with, don't bite off more than you can chew and try to be frugal.

Adapt to your budget, in general you want to be able to at least do 10 rounds of hunting/mining/etc. before you need to sell stuff. With low budget this can be really hard, but you can somewhat manage by trying to focus on a specific mob/ore/enmatter/etc. Your goal is to try and collect stackable items so you have them in at least stacks of 100 ped (some items with very low tt, might be easier to sell in smaller than 100 ped stacks). The reason for this is because you want to try and sell your loot to other players so you get some extra profit from it aka markup (MU). If you TT everything (sell to trade terminal) you will have a hard time managing, if at all possible. Some items are hard to sell and are tt-food, but most things can be sold to other players. Check the markup on items (you can do this ingame by pressing the icon that looks like a linear diagram). There are two things to check for then, firstly the markup (which is either written in % or as a fixed number if it is unlimited gear), secondly you want to look at when and how much has been sold during the day, week, month (usually if an item hasn't been sold for a long time, it is most likely tt-food). The amount of something that has been sold gives you a good indication of how hard it is gonna be selling it. i.e. if 4000ped of an item has sold during the week, you will most likely have an easy time selling it, while if 100 ped of an item has been sold during the entire month it's gonna be quite hard. If possible try to make friends with trustworthy traders, that way you can avoid auction fees and perhaps get a good source of income by selling your loot to that/those traders (be careful though, a lot of traders might try to exploit your lack of market knowledge).

4) If you haven't already, get a reliable mentor and join a soc where you have others that can help you out by answering questions if/when you are unsure of what to do in a specific situation.

5) Don't over do it, be patient and don't forget to have fun, it's just a game after all.

//Luna

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  3. King-Pin

King-Pin Member

Don’t play in the summer time the loot is atrocious and has little to non mark up.

4. malasuerte

malasuerte Active Member

In the chat window type /join #arktrade so you can keep an eye on sale and buy offers that might interest you while you are out hunting or mining.
    Also type /join #arkadia and use that channel to get information from other players on the planet

5. MaxHecWalker

MaxHecWalker Active Member

Shortly after arriving on Ark I decided to make my own list of mobs based on how hard it each of them can be for the first 4 maturities.
    I also designed it with ammo usage in mind so that I'd know what can be shot fast and get some skills quickly and in a economic manner.
    Obviously this list by HP (hit points) suits my purposes, hopefully some other newbies will find this helpful.

Find mob stats/info at http://arkadiaforum.com/threads/index-of-creatures-forum-links.12180/
    [1st hp stat =Young __Mob_Name_______ m=Mature o=Old pv=Provider]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  6. wournos

wournos Active Member

A slight note: Oratan Prospectors range from 10HP to 200HP depending on maturity.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Lizzy

Lizzy Deactivated User

Monura Male got 12 HP, Monura Female got 13 HP

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. MaxHecWalker

Thank you both for the feedback. I updated my bookmarks and the list ofc. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. MaxHecWalker

You might even see the message “You may not move.”

The common response is press ‘T’.
    Pressing "T" is a short answer, but annoying if it took you 1/2 hour or more to get where you are.
    Also I've seen log out of game then log back in, but it very-very-rarely works.

There are 5 other ways that I know of. (The first two cost a pec or so to use.)
    1. Spawn a vehicle nearby and jump in it.
    2. Use teleportation chip. (most newbies don't have one)

But what if your stuck in a doorway, deep under water, or at the hub... what then???

3a. Turn avatar to a safe direction. (ie. away from whatever your trapped in, not further into it.)
    3b. Press "R" (auto-run) To make your avatar automatically run forward. (I assume it's not running already...)
    3c. Alternate tapping between buttons "M" and #5 on keypad.
    ( "M" is "Map button" and #5 is "Camera Mode" in the action library)

Sometimes it takes a second to get timing right for tapping back and forth between M and #5. But your avatar will suddenly be free and running again. I'm unaware of anyone else using it before me. I did mention this trick in Arkadia chat back on March 29, 2015 during a chat about space in EU. And posted it on entropia partners the following day.

4. Change Graphics Quality to Escape
    Press "R" (auto-run) to automatically run
    Press "O" (options)
    Click "Graphics" tab at left-hand side.
    Change "General Graphics Quality"
    Click "Apply" at bottom left

If your avatar doesn't break free after the graphics are refreshed, then just repeat the last two steps.

5. I recall reading about this method mentioned in an older post I can no longer find somewhere on the net.
    Jump backwards while twisting left and right.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  10. MaxHecWalker

Mob chasing you?
    Land-based creatures will drown in deep enough water after 10 seconds, but your avatar will never drown. :drowning:
    So if you run into water the mobs will drown, and is a safe thing to do on planet Calypso.
    It's also safe on Arkadia, but a little less so... Just look at your radar for red dots in the water before taking the leap. :wideyed:

Safety bubble while afk?
    This works if you have a Sleipnir or any 2 seat aircraft, and you want to go afk somewhere with mobs nearby.
    Spawn aircraft, get in it, move to next seat, now the aircraft will power down & you won't use any fuel while safe from mobs. :turtle:

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. MaxHecWalker

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  12. Haruto Rat

Haruto Rat Active Member

Inspired by another discussion about how things "should" be:

You achieve a better score playing the hand you've been dealt, not the one you think you should have had.

• Old Old x 1
  13. adibichea

adibichea New Member

Rise your evade first, by doing the missions with evade/athletics/combat reflexes/courage reward. Back time, i was walking into mobs, low lvl mobs, to rise my evade. Now, i don't know if this still works.
    Rise your HP, by doing the missions with courage/athletics/dexterity (will give you a nice HP boost), also stamina/strength/agility/psyche/intelligence gives you HP .. But, the best way to rise your HP remain the melee hunt.
    With enough HP and Evade, you can hunt naked (no armor decay) .. the dream of the EU player.

At the beginning think to be eco, mostly on small HP mobs. Try to minimize your over-damage, cost you PEC and finally, after thousand of mobs ... lots of PED.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lizzy

Lizzy Deactivated User

<----- I made it.

I do think I need to check if it needs an update tho.

• Like Like x 1
  15. adibichea

adibichea New Member

I just remembered another tip .. the law of 20 seconds :) (I've read that in an old tutorial, from PE time .. a nice tutorial, I don't remember the name) ..

It's something like this: Choose a mob to kill in maximum 20 seconds!
    Why? To minimize your armor decay and F.A.P. decay.

How to calculate that?

Simple way:
    - calculate your DPS (entropedia.info will help you) and then TIME = Mob_HP / DPS .. If (TIME > 20) then THE 20SEC RULE NOT OK;

Complicated way:
    - calculate your DPS
    - TIME = Mob_HP / DPS
    - New_Mob_HP = TIME * regen_Mob_HP
    - Correct_TIME = New_MOB_HP / DPS
    If (Correct_TIME > 20) then THE 20SEC RULE NOT OK;

More complicated way:
    - make a program (excel i think works too .. i hate excel) who simulate your damage, MISS, EVADE, the regen of the mob, etc.. simulate over 100k (100M) mobs and see the fAVERAGE_TIME_TO_KILL_A_MOB :)

The real/best way:
    - experience :)

16. Stagger

Stagger Member

I think the most logic tip i can give to new players who fear the gambling losses when hunting mining or crafting.
    Please try to get some friends you really trust, and work together to start a business.
    By having a little business or service you will earn small ped enough to overcome the losses, plus you are making life better for your fellow entropians!

This can be a service in or outside the game.. think about offering graphic content(forumsignatures for example) for ped, or something more relevant to the game you could start a trading business.

Just stick your heads together and think of something usefull to offer. :)
    Remember.. together we stand.. divided we fall.

• Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  17. Bily

Bily Member