1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems accessing forums through work proxy

Discussion in 'Forum Support' started by KikkiJikki, May 30, 2012.

1. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I get this error heaps when I try to access the forum from work. For example: http://arkadiaforum.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post Status Code: 403 Path = '/opt/mwg/storage/default/2012-05-30_08-21-45-218_+1000/error_templates/' MainBlockTemplate = 'index.html' BlockMessage = 'Block500Error.html' It happens most times. When I refresh after this error, the page will sometimes be correctlty rendered or I might get a repeat of this error. I also get the same problem visiting PCF and Cyrene Froum. I have only encountered this problem on EU related forums. MWG is macafee web gateway. Our proxy access is externally managed and as this forum is not exactly work ralated I can not really get anything changed at this end. I don't necessarily expect you to be able to find a workaround at your end but I though it was worth a shot. Regards, KikkiJikki

2. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

Interesting! What browser are you using? I sometimes get proxy problems at work, but less often if i use Chrome. I've never had that error though.

Proxies are out of our control too :-/

3. KikkiJikki

I use firefox. Will test other browsers and let you know. Will have to dl chrome though.

4. KikkiJikki

Tested on IE and chrome with basically the same results. Sometimes just get a normal 403 error instead.

5. Admin

Sounds like the proxy server isn't playing nice. I can't offer any other advice on this for you unfortunately, other than trying to run a tracert from the command prompt to see if things go awry. I'm at work now and I can't even resolve the address through tracert, but I can obviously get on to the forum through proxy server.

6. KikkiJikki

\yeah its clearly an issue with the proxy server which you cant fix but it only happens with EU forums which is kind of bizarre. And thats why I am letting you know. UNderstand you prob can't do anything. Regards, KikkiJikki

7. Admin

Oh, for the record:

This confirms to me that the document is being doc-blocked (lol!!) by your proxy, as the servers here aren't set up at all to prohibit any particular domain or IP ranges.

8. KikkiJikki

yes, is just strange that its not on every request to the url.

9. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

I guess you could always try tunneling with a different proxy... Sites would be a bit slower, but it should work. Theoretically. I don't know your tech level or what you understand, but something like Hotspot Shield (if it's not blocked on your work proxy) should do the trick. If you want to get a bit more advanced, I have this you might try (if it's available and you feel like you can set it up): http://wp.me/p2kL3f-8a

10. KikkiJikki

I would like to but I can't do. Would cost me my job as I would need to go in and bypass group policy and that is audited.

11. RexDameon

RexDameon Active Member Pro Users

if you start without the www infront it seems to work. I start at http://arkadiaforum.com and everthing goes fine from there.

I'm actually in the process of a major update to my site that includes that fix. If you are using my site of links that will be fixed hopefully i'll get everything done this weekend on it.

12. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

Ah yeah, hadn't thought of that. Makes sense.