1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Own a piece of your own mothership service!

Discussion in 'Services' started by Oboy, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

* * * Please note this discussion has forward looking statements. Nothing discussed within this forum thread is certain, but merely ideas for the creation of a trading service. Using investment in a mothership and capital to create a interplanetary trading service within the entropia universe platform! * * *

Hi my friends! My name is Oboy Berto Oboyto from the Delta Force society.

I have been running a trading service out of twin peaks for a while and decided when arkadia came out to really get my feet wet into main pieces of the Arkadian economy.

If you have been in sanctuary I am sure you have seen me in town buying and selling vitals within the Arkadian economy. I know a lot and have made a considerable amount of ped at times! (as well as lost some) I understand what makes the economy work. I have spread sheets and resources that I can sell for profits on each planet. Now that you know a bit about me let me tell you where I see this service going and a bit about it!

I want to offer a service that would transport people, as well as vital resources to each planet. *All these specifics may be worked out with the a shareholder vote when and if the time is deemed nessisary.* Within this service I would like to provide transportation for shareholders. As this service is meant to not only make revenue for the Joint Venture and provide the luxury of free transportation within reason and item transportation! (all details will be worked out through a share vote to satisfy the majority vote)

I am willing to provide anything nessisary, contracts anything that will need to verify I am liable for any and all resposibility as the owner of the mothership and the deed that goes with it. As the Pilot of the service I would like 25% off the top of profit so that I am encouraged to do the best for the fund that I can. The other 75% will be shared between the holders of shares within the joint venture on a weekly basis (if you cannot collect that day I will hold until you are availible)

Clients within the fund (Miners , Crafters, Hunters) May trade resources and items more freely. This could be the edge your business needs!

Ideas for fund creation

- I am willing to put up 20,000 Ped as a 20% owner of the Joint Venture.

- Maximun fund size 100,000 Ped

(To start, if the Joint Venture decides to vote later on share expansion for greater income that can be discussed.)

- Min share holder size 5,000 ped

- Max share holder size 20,000 ped

Nothing is in stone and I am trying to work on the idea. Please feel free to give me feedback positive and negative about why this will or won't work. I encourage a sensible debate. pls don't hijack the thread. Please contact me here or in game @ the sanctuary cove Oboy Oboyto is my name. ty!

2. Hyssch

Hyssch Active Member

As a miner, higher lever finders, enhancers and amps....that's about all I care for atm. Some ores/enmatters that are easy to find here on Arkadia, would also be interesting to sell on other planets. But 5k min.share holder fee...

-- Hyssch --

3. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

I am thinking the 5k minimum so it limits the amount of people to a 37 Maximum. If everyone was to make the minimum investment that would create quite a drag on the service as a whole to provide efficient transportation. A few people a day wont effect things much as we can move resources we can stick em on a ship. If we need to start making 10 personel trips a day that would lead to a major drag on our ability to produce significant income.

4. Faye

Faye Member Pro Users

Well it sounds wonderfull but in respect to the funds we dont know wot motherships can do yet ...

but the idea sounds nice... but 200k ?? you think they will be that expensive ?

5. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

I was hoping to use the extra ped for trading capital. I can't use my personal ped for this. And if I am in charge of the team I will need to abandon my personal ability to make ped. The good news is with the joint venture I will have more ped to use and a significant portion of the result so I can still make my own income. At the moment I have about 20k in peds, with a mothership and say 100k peds I could make more for everyone with the ability to control more income. Maybe a better idea would be to start at 100000k max, We wont be bidding on the first ship either. Everything will be done by majority share votes. If everyone in this joint venture deems it prudent to expand for perpouses of trading capital we can expand from there. This way I control 20% to start which is much more reasonable. This way we will need less shareholders as well.

6. Chrome

Chrome Active Member Pro Users

Well, there is the real reason...

No thanks.

7. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

You took that out of context Chrome. I was simply saying what I was giving up and gaining from a personal perspective. As the pilot and CEO I propose a 25% cut of profit for myself + I will recieve my share of the 75% that is divided amonst the owners of the Joint venture. For your investment in ped you will be able to recieve free planetary transportation with our resource moves, as well as your share in 75% of total profits from our personel, and Item transportation business. I am here to make peds, and so will the team we assemble!

25% May be a lot. But I plan on working 60-80 hours a week. If the mothership costs of 50k of the 100k we are seeking to fund this project with. A 50k ped card to trade, making 10-20% a week will be easy if my projections hold firm. thats roughly 40k per month in trading of resources alone. I am not counting the personal transportation we will be doing. I dont know the feeling of the others, but a person working for 5% hardly has the same motivation as someone working for 25% Lets just be honest about that here. I am benig realistic when I set up this fund. Maybe a 10-20% cut would be more sufficient. The main goal is to reward everyone participating.

These are some projections.

In 1 week of trading arkadian resources and making several calypso trips I have managed to bring my ped (minus deposits) up about 25% (total value) The investment in resources itself has increased about 50% I had made several trips of about 5000 ped total value with 80 ped in transport fees. Even at roughly 2% Most of the resource I brought back was a quick 5-8% turnaround. I even did as well as 30% on some investments. This was a week with 3 trips This is in 1 week... Now If I could do this several times daily with slightly less margins the potential for a 10,000 ped investment to pay for itself within a single month with all the new oppertunity IS NOT out of the question. I really feel the ROI will be about 4 weeks by my current calculations. And for those of you who don't know I can spend about 60-80 hours a week logged in at the moment with no vacations or long durations I will need to leave the service idle. The oppertunity to make myself and others wealthy I think is worth sharing.

This investment will last approx 6 months from purchase of the Mothership. At that point I will pay all shareholders off with the sale of the mothership to be divided amoungst shareholders. This way we all assume the same risk / reward potential of this great oppertunity.

I am willing to give 6 months of my life to change my life and yours. If you are interested this is just a discussion. Once we see motherships and the price it starts off at and the potential we will go from that point. We won't be the first purchaser. And we may not get one at all. Everything will be done in the best interest of our team and I feel that with a few intelligent people (maybe 1 or 2 hired hands trading, or partners from the venture based for each planet.) we can really take the economy and make the process so efficient that profits will outweight anything we could do individually and with a portion of the realistic investment of your time and resource.

8. Chrome

No, really, I didn't.

You're asking people to give you money upfront for a service you HOPE to offer for an element of the game which hasn't even been released yet.

9. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

You took it out of context again. Clearly you are mistaking me with offering what a service would like if run by me, With one that is already up and going. Never did I say anything here is concrete. I am asking for opinions in the creation of this service. Criticizing the things spoken within are one thing. But it seems that you are hearing only what you want to hear, and not what is laid out in front of you sadly.

I just wanted to get peoples opinions on what is going to work and not. Faye had a great response. It made me think and reshape my current idea for the service. The amount was a bit aggresive to start. If your comming on here to hijack the thread like I feared someone would do. Please move elsewhere or re-read what I've posted with a open mind and you will find a new perspective.

10. Smoerble

Smoerble Active Member Pro Users

In general I am open into such an idea. But MA said clearly, they will spread as many motherships as needed, whatever that means. But it clearly means: a mothership will not cost 100k in the near future, so I think, you're goal is off the track right now.

11. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

I may have poorly stated what I was aiming for here. The list of things are just a outline of what I would like to offer. The reason for extra peds Is trading capital. My idea isn't only to own a ship. But control a major trading channel between planets. As partners could trade resource from planet to planet. Create markets for items across multiple planets as easily as handing them to your CEO pilot for distribution to potential customers or shop distribution channels. Sure this could be done for cheap. I can afford a ship on my own. And if it was the case for just purchasing a ship I wouldn't want help. This idea was supposed to be much more. A co-op of traders, businessman and womans.

Lets not mistake I understand the value and timing on markets. I control the same stock portfolio that I started as a highschooler today. over 11 years of understanding and learning what makes a REAL market move and its translated very well into entropian affairs. I didn't make deposits into entropia for any other reason than I thought I could make more money during these economic times here. this was a good way to diversify my time and effort into something I could enjoy a bit more. The 6 month time line is pretty firm if I am to lead this co-op. I am getting married at some point next year and this is my last chance to really just go all out. And I mean ALL OUT.

We will not get the first mothership If I have a say. We probably won't get the 20th and thats why I say in the posts above I cover the spectrum all the way to not obtaining one if I dont feel it would be a benifit to the investor group. I can understand everyones skepticism and I know this is going to put people off like it would me If I had to trust others. I want to provide everything I can to secure the money put in by all parties. We are dealing with potentially 10k USD. We can work contracts and have all parties sign if need be. All ideas and concerns are welcome. Please keep them comming. Since I was in elementary school selling pixie sticks to classmates, to middleschool selling halloween items, to highschool where I started making thousands of dollars a week ebaying virtual currencies, or even today. Where I have successfully managed to parlay my spare time into successful online business's. I have never created a service like this before. I have just made money... bottom line. And I hope to do it for you.

12. Chrome

No, really, I didn't take anything out of context again. :p

Didn't you see the part where I clearly said you HOPE to offer this service?

What I see in the wall-of-text sales pitch is someone who wants to own a mothership without having to lose any personal ped or potential income while running a trading service with the mothership.

That is what was laid out in front of me.

My criticism of what you stated is that you are asking for ped for an investment in an aspect of the game which hasn't even been launched yet, nor do any of us know how it will really work.

EDIT: I see that you have added more... good luck with the co-op.

13. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

By using personal peds I mean it would be terrible of me to conduct personal business with a co-ops investment. As well as how would I decide whats a good investment for me, or the group. Would I then be encouraged to take all the best profits for myself personally? The short answer is yes and thats why I wont do it that way.

I will have no conflict of interest, just a clear path to profits. And thats why The ability to trade would be nessisary for this type of a joint venture. I am trying to create a team with potential for great profits. I am sure we have several people within the universe who would love to be a part of a service like this, the problem is the forum base is still awefully small. If this doesn't work out I know I have options within the trading universe and vehicles that I could use to deliver personal items. I know of good friend now who controls a hangar, as well as another friend who is likely to win a medium fighter deed.

If anyone has more ideas, comments or thoughts on the potential of this joint venture please feel free to post here. Do your best to keep the discussion on topic. We are discussing ideas to best manage and run a potential mothership trading service.

14. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

Good luck with your idea Oboy!

For me personal there are some things that hold me back from investing
    -I don't know you and you haven't been in the game very long, so there is a reasonable chance I will get scammed (not saying you will, just saying there is a reasonable chance)
    -I don't know what the motherships will do
    -I don't know what price the motherships will go for
    -I don't think it will have any benefit for me compared to just using any random pilot
    -I like my peds on my ped card

15. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

-I Agree with your assesment that I may be a relative unknown in the game but I am not a new player by any means. I have been involved in the game about 8 years now. If it wasn't for the fact I couldn't stand entropia for a couple years in my early 20s I would have had my old avatar as well. As for Oboy Oboyto I have been around several years now making my last significant impact during the weeks following the sleipnir release when I crafted roughly 400 of them for the market.

- None of us do. This is why this is only a idea that is floated around for others to decide about the potential for them

- Its still a guessing game. I'd love to say I have a idea how much they will go for but the truth is only MA knows right now the full details

- The benifit of this is free transportation when we are moving items daily. More importantly you will be entitled to your share of the profit (minus what the CEO of this venture takes for his time and effort of guiding everyone elses money. Look at me as your Money manager.)

I am going to be a investment vehicle for your entropia peds. By expanding the current business I run, Selling off my personal ability to create wealth for the ability to create a co-op of people that together we can make more ped and have our return on investment be trully great. If I didn't think I could make more ped for myself and offer others a great way to benifit in more than 1 way I would never have taken the time to bring this idea up and take the time to assist the eyes to come here and look.

- And for the last one I cant have any argument against that. The best place for ped is always on your personal card.

Please keep the questions and comments comming! Judging by the tone so far I have got way to far ahead of myself and maybe this isn't right for this time. But I will keep the idea open if people decide its worth it to them. Maybe we'll need a lot less if motherships sell for peanuts. We will soon find out, gl all!

16. lokiscamaro

lokiscamaro Member

lets try not to run this guy into the ground for an idea.....sure he wants to make money, hes talking about staying ahead. many of us would love to do the same. i wish you luck in your venture, just dont be a scammer or ill be pissed lol

17. Stagger

Stagger Member

As long as things stay in legal boundries i'm all for planning ahead,
    goodluck oboy!

18. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

If MA wanted to make a shared deed system they could. But I am sure they don't want to encourage us to pool money.. would be less bidders for them.. On the other hand maybe venture capital groups would boost the ability for MA to generate aditional revenue if people could safetly pool money to bid against other groups that could potentially drive the high end of the markets in question up.

It would be great if anyone has a suggestion to make it as legally binding as possible we still have weeks before I feel we need to ushur in a bid. If we have 5-10 investors in this venture that would be a reasonable amount in my opionion. If people want to sell the shares they own it is up to them. They are worth what the people will pay for them. Everything will be put in writing before anything is initiated or any funds are procured for anything.

In my opinion a share structure would look like this. Basicly a initial public offering.

I would buy 20% of the Joint venture for 20,000 Ped starting off the / share value at 1 ped / 1 share.

Total capital raised will be 100,000 Ped or 100,000 shares.

After the purchase of the mothership and initiation of the Joint venture I would propose a 2 week quite period in which no shares may be bought or sold.

After the first payout to shareholders on our weekly or bi-weekly basis the shares are then unlocked. If players wish to sell the shares or buy them it will then be market demand that will effect the share price which we can publish with each sale if people decide to trade the shares they own.

*Note* Payouts will be based on shares owned on payout dates established.

We will maintain a trading balance of the same amount everyweek unless the Joint venture wish's to change the amount in investment. All profits will be paid on a weekly or bi-weekly basis so that our investment amount will stay the same.

After the 6 month investment period is over we will sell the mothership and distribute all assets to remaining shareholders. based on the amount of shares held at the time you will recieve that amount.

Thanks for the support guys! I hope we can encourage this discussion down the right path again. I know this has been done before. I would just like to make it better!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lee DeLioncourt

Lee DeLioncourt Arkadian Outrider Platinum Member

Not an existing service, but an idea/proposal/discussion about a service, so moving this over to Services :)

20. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Interesting idea, but I agree with Harmony that we don't know what the motherships will do. So many unknowns at the moment. Here are some of my thoughts... just throwing them out there.

It seems to me that since space is the only means of trading between planets, and since it is lootable PVP, the most profitable profession is going to be that of Space Pirate. Traders carrying thousands of PED worth of loot, there for the taking... just what the doctor ordered for any uber players who are getting slightly bored with EU. I expect to see gangs of pirates attacking every vehicle in sight.

Will a lone mothership be able to defend itself, even with multiple gunners? How many escorts will it need? Will it simply be better economics to carry your cargo in a squadron of small, fast ships, and leave the motherships to transporting personnel? Or is the mothership faster or can it easily defend itself? And what if you run across a Pirate mothership? How much will weapons, decay, and fuel cost per run?

Since your cargo is lootable, how much PED are you willing to risk with each venture into space? That's a whole lot of PEDs lost if you've get looted to the tune of 100k. If you make a 5% profit (net) each run, then you can lose to pirates no more than once in 20 runs just to break even. I wouldn't expect to be able to make a run with just yourself as pilot, at least not once the pirates get out there. How often will you be able to schedule trips if you need to fill all the gunners seats?

Of course, if piracy gets bad what we'll see is essentially no trade and a big increase in MU at planets like Arkadia compared to Calypso. How many people would stay on Arkadia in that case? So I think MA will somehow have to make sure piracy doesn't get out of control. Of course, pirates are lootable too, but unless they're stupid, they'll only be carrying loot on the way HOME from a raid, and if you've killed a pirate, chances are they aren't carrying loot yet.

I'm wondering if it'd be better just to run a trading group as a society. I'm expecting the cost of smaller space ships like fighters to come down eventually to something reasonable, maybe 2000 PED, where most serious traders can afford their own. Could be wrong, but I think MA will want space to eventually be within reach for a good percentage of the players. Everyone would pay for their own goods and their own ships, but the society would offer mutual protection by safety in numbers. Or, if the ships end up being uber-expensive, society members could chip in to buy what they need. Hopefully each planet will have unique resources so that there really is a need for interplanetary trade....

Of course, space might be so big that the risk of running across pirates is insignificant, but I haven't been to space yet, so I don't know. All I know is that there is no better target for pirates than traders in space. :)