1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New player..couple of questions please

Discussion in 'Greetings' started by darcek, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Unearth

Unearth Member

To make a long story short, you have AUCTION, You get there (more or less) all you may need.
    Then there are shops and normal chat.

^^

2. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

You know.. if you don't like it, you're free to leave... And no, my argument is NOT "if other MMOs have it why should we" my argument is that it's unnecessary and would clutter it up worse than it already does. Unnecessary: On Calypso you go to Twin Peaks or PA and announce you have things to sell. On Arkadia, you go to Sanctuary Cove to sell to/buy from experienced players and Celeste Quarry to sell to/buy from newer players. Everyone on their respective planets knows where to go. But you'll find that probably 90% of people prefer to use the auction as opposed to standing around for hours (even at Twin full of people).

Btw, "globals" in this game are viewed as achievements. If you don't like it, deal with it. This is the way it's been forever. Players like it this way. A Global isn't quite a hall-of-fame, but it's the next best thing. And, until quite recently was universe-wide -- now only hofs are universe-wide and globals are only "global" on the specific planet's servers.

One thing you need to realize.. This game is very different from your ordinary MMO... different culture. And if you come in criticizing and telling us how it should be, you're not going to get a very warm welcome. Entropians in general are very passionate about their universe.

Just something to keep in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I really dont like when people try to put words in my mouth. There are many ways to sell and buy stuff. Go to trade locations, use the auction offer and order system, advertise on the website, join a society, develop a social network and friend list.

There is really no value to me in seeing in chat that john k noob has sweat to sell on another planet. Making the trade channel global would fill it with a lot of of useless (to me posts) that would scroll through my chat window. So I would need to turn it off simply so I can see the posts I need to see. The current trade channel has a useful purpose. Traders in the vicinity can advertise on it thus giving people the option to see that or filter it out if they are in a conversation. If trade channel was global I suspect most people would turn it off most of the time, and this would lead to traders spamming the local channel simply to get their message out there.

So I would like to leave things as they are.

Now I appreciate you would like a different arrangement and I have no problem with you arguing for it and putting it in wishlists or sending to MA support. There are different things about this universe that annoy each of us and many including myself put forward arguements for change that very occiasionally get listened to and implemented. But I am providing you with feedback on why I do not support your idea.

I hope you now understand my thoughts on this issue.

KikkiJikki

4. Lee DeLioncourt

Lee DeLioncourt Arkadian Outrider Platinum Member

Let's be nice to each other please and keep it polite. Having said that, as a player who also has tried many other 'regular' mmos, I agree that having a trade channel (as it is now, can be turned off if not wanted) that is 'global', or actually regional as in for each planet, is a needed thing. Personally I think it would aid the economy a great deal, especially on new and developing planets like Arkadia. If you aren't looking to buy or sell anything, turn it off. If you are, no more needing to hop around to every tp in hopes of finding someone to trade with, and eventually giving up when you don't. Also agree about the complimentary feature to 'whisper' or pm someone who has posted in the trade channel, to say I will buy that or yes I'm selling the item you need. This doesn't add that person to your fl or anything, it is a one time contact based on your ad in the trade channel. I think the biggest problem it would have in eu is simply that it would need to be monitored, and abuse reported, or those traders who simply switch to all chat, which is also abuse anyway since they are then deliberately attempting to spam those who have chosen not to view trade chat.

Yes, EU is unique, and very different from most other mmos, but there are a few features in other games that could benefit us as well, and this is in my mind one of them if implemented correctly.

5. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

That makes sense, Lee. My guess is it would undercut the auction system, so MA wouldn't have any reason to implement it. It might be nice on a small planet like Arkadia, but it would be impossible to read anything on Caly. If there were a small (1 or 2 pec) fee for posting, maybe that would keep it under control.

Or if MA could maybe take it one step further... if they could implement a system where you could advertise something for sale to all Arkadians, and MA could charge a small fee for advertising it 24/7 for a week or so, and it would really be great if you didn't have to be in the same location as the buyer, and maybe even allow people to place bids on your item too.

Oh wait.... :facepalm: nevermind...

6. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

You basically just described the auction system, Neil.. Maybe with a few modifications, but it's basically the auction system: pay a small fee and your item is on there for 1-7 days and people can browse and find the best deals and bid on them.

Yeah, okay, it might be useful on Arkadia.. To begin with.. But it's open to certain abuse. Especially on planets such as Calypso where you can barely read the trade channel from one area (add even just two or three more and it'd be an absolute nightmare). No, I can't support it. Good idea or not, I can't support it.