1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Citizenship System

Discussion in 'Entropia Universe' started by Jenny ferr, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Snuggins

Snuggins Member

You are a doom sayer. :D
    But at least you are creative about it. ;)

Billair and harmony, I think some people see it the other way around based on what I read at Calypso forum. To them the dream of building an expensive virtual house on land they chose (within the bounds of whatever complicated framework MA implements), or the right to vote or to call oneself a citizen while other people have that right taken away may be the primary draw and the weekly paycheck is just a bonus.

I don't judge, but there are definitely some people saying that's their motivation. :D

This unorthodox offering from MA has something that appeals to a lot of people even if for different reasons.

I don't know how this will all turn out, but I do think it's a pretty ingenious move by MA. If I was about to try to expand my playerbase I would want to find a way to get the existing one to quit bitching so loudly too. I think giving a lot of people a renewed feeling of being invested may make the promised marketing campaign more effective. And that's just one of the side effects besides getting money quick. ~$500k in 3 days is pretty impressive. Add in that a huge proportion of this weekly "dividend" will just get cycled back into the revenue generating process and color me quite impressed.

2. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

If they wanted to expand and make current player base the should think about making the cost of the game more rational and stop devaluating everything long term loyal players have invested in. This bullshit about a government and citizen ship is rediculess. MA will no more listen to a playerbase government anymore then they have to us "Bitching" as you say for many years.

I for one think its a shitty move with this citizen crap as it will be some 1st day nub with a hundred bucks to cough up gets to be a citizen of the universe but someone else with many many years of play who couldnt afford to shell out a hundred bucks on a video game in the worlds current economy gets slapped in the face and not concidered a citizen...It will be just another way to segregate people. FUCK that. I put 5 years in this game and a substantial amount of money for the standard of living I have and I am getting tired of getting kicked in the balls everytime these morons get stoned and come up with something else to take from other games that lessens this game on ALL levels.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Cyborg, if you don't mind my asking, why do you stick around so long in a game you clearly hate?

4. XeroX

XeroX Active Member Pro Users

Look at the Trina Avatar name. Those posts have been the same for years now. :p Personaly I would much prefer if ppl stopped calling this rather generous offer to us smaller fishes a ploy etc. but I guess we can't expect Trina of all Avatars to do that. That would be quite unreasonable. heh
    Well no matter what everyone says MindArk has listened to the communities demands and opened up Land ownership to almost everyone.

5. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

What's the avatar name got to do with it? Whilst people may not agree with the opinion (and I'll grant its pretty obvious what CB's opinion is in most things MA) everyone has a right to hold his or her own council.

Myself, I'm undecided as yet; I've got a lot more thinking and research to do on said subject before I form one one way or the other.

6. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

I think (personally) he was simply pointing out that avatar is frequently quite negative ingame (I've noticed the same).

7. Ash Blankstone

Ash Blankstone Member

IT seems like it is just citizenship papers with a cool name. Back in the days I thought there were voting booths, or at least that is what I heard now they charge you 1000 peds to vote and give you a paper they value at 0 peds (ouch). If they would put a TT value of 1000 peds becasue they are selling them for that much I would say go for it.

8. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

The value of these deeds is in profit share. Land grab and voting are just bonuses that may improve your play experience in a couple of years time. I can't see the ability to build a little house in the country giving you any financial benefit. In fact it is likely to suck your peds away. Good for crafters of housing materials I guess. And we have no idea how voting will be implemented or what sorts of issues will be up for vote.

So really the question is how confident are you of the ROI and how much are you prepared to risk.

9. remontoire

remontoire Member

Yes. However, this is normally done when revenue is not sufficient - gaining said capital via revenue is always preferred.

10. Xandra

Xandra Active Member Pro Users

Hi,

have you read this?
    A substantial marketing campaign? At much larger scale then they have ever done before?

In a situation where 9 of 10 newcomers leave frustrated during their first month (my guestimate, for sure)? Wouldn't it be better, more easy and more cost effective to grab the money and just throw it out of the window? Or to drown it in the legendary loot pool?

And will this be a marketing campaign for the whole EU game, or for Planet Calypso only? After all it will be paid with the funds raised to sell Calypso citizenships/ "shares" ...

What will be the effect to the real Planet Partners (those besides MA that now is both platform provider & "Primary Planet Partner") when the already by far largest planet will get pushed even further? Wouldn't they get dwarfed completely?

This doesn't please me. Too much questions. Too much nasty possible answers.

A summary of the few (quite hard) facts we have:

• Those shares will get you a certain part (1/60,000 for each) of 1/2 of the "PP gross revenue" of Calypso. Since few of us know what's defined as "PP gross revenue" in the PP contracts few of us will have even the slightest idea of what this means.
    • MA says:
      and
      A lot of uncertainty here. The first hard numbers at all are "planned for the beginning of December 2011" with the payout of the first weekly revenues. Then, "every six months, audited figures will be presented on MindArk’s homepage".
      At the date of selling no information at all is available. Good business practice, isn't it?
    • What you get is an in-game item, subject to the various rules & policies. No good title, no contract, no RL certificate that you could show to the liquidator in case MA smashes. Good business practice, isn't it?
    • Each "land lot" will entitle you to claim a 10m x 10m(!) spot in "certain areas" during a "land grab". When? Well:
      But beware, you can't do anything with this land! Read this:
    • If you manage, during said "land grab", to have 9 "land lots" and to conquer a 3x3 area, you'll be able to build a house on it! When?
      No information is available how to build the house, and what additional costs are required.
    (All italic is MA words from different postings, all bold in quotes is from me)

Conclusion (=opinion & optional!):

MA, again, is selling a pig in a poke. Obviously they are in problems and try again to quickly raise some money, no matter what will be the results in the future. They failed to keep SEE, so now they try to raise the money from the participants.

And again, they desperately are chasing the quick $$$, regardless what damage they'd cause with it. Actively damaging their Planet Partners isn't what will earn them much long term profits ...

And selling out 1/2 of the Calypso gross revenue (this is a lot!) of the coming years isn't exactly a good deal, too, if not using the income for some really promising developments that would equalize this. A good idea might be to raise the retention/ depositor rate with it, for now?

But they plan to start "the mother of all ad campaigns", ignoring that still nearly all of the freshly baited newcomers would drop before their first deposit ...
    They really think paying an ad campaign with 1/2 of the gross PP revenue of Caly would help? This money will lack in the loot, and will only make it worse!

Too much gambling, ways to high costs to play, crazy money/ time requirements to even reach the middle class, and the nearly impossibility to ever catch up to the top for any non-millionaire are the problems!
    Slight changes in the loot distribution, a more just distribution between HoF's and Globals, and a remake of the old skill gain curve would have the same, if not a ways better effect, without costing millions of $$$.

Amateurs. Bloody amateurs.

Anyways, have a good time, phat lootz!

PS: About Cyborg Bill/ Trina Xenophage:

I know this is a controversial avatar. It's even more negative then me, and this means something.
    It sometimes acts very emotional, sometimes not this elaborated, but rarely (IMHO) in a trolling way, or with pure whining. Complaining with a reason is OK (for me) for a long term customer, and being disappointed by the game you love, too. As well as trying to vocalize your unhappiness, hoping to aid for a change.
    This should be tolerated, in my humble opinion, this should be even welcome as long as it's not purely destructive.

I don't read Bill/ Trina as "purely destructive". I wished he/ she would sometimes use a bit more time on his/ her posts, because very often there are very good ideas in it.
    But I nearly always enjoy his/ her posts.
    It's possible to hate the current state of the game, and nevertheless to love the game. Even if we ignore the fact that some ppl have serious money in this game, what makes things even more complicated.

Telling ppl to "go away if you don't like it" is very bad behavior IMHO, btw. I've been told this a lot in my youth, in western Germany. Each one criticizing the system got told it over and over. But this doesn't lead to any progress - it's just desperately trying to temporally cement a situation that will fall anyway without a change. Without change, all structures are doomed. Times are a'changing, and if we don't change with them, our fault.

Anyway, @ Bill/ Trina:

• Having a male forum avatar here and a female elsewhere makes it a pain to address you.
    • Don't feel attacked, I like you.
    • Get a +REP on the first post I find, to compensate ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Xandra

Xandra Active Member Pro Users

Hi,

maybe you want to vote in this poll?

Have a good time!

12. XeroX

XeroX Active Member Pro Users

Yes that perfectly sums it up. I didn't want to attack Trina for his attitude. Especially since I have come to agree with it on many aspects of the game. However I wanted to point out that when Trina sees something new introduced to Entropia as negative... then that is not exactly a reliable indicator that it is a negative thing.
    As we all know a sale of Calypso was planned to an external company. Now that this sale has failed the participiants are given the chance to make the purchase instead as it has often been asked for on PCF. In combination with "land" ownership for the masses and the political system I see that as a good move. Maybe Trinas negative view on things will turn out to be true as it often has... maybe not or maybe we are both wrong... only time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  13. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Xandra I just want to respond to a couple of points in your interesting post (I appreciate the thought and effort in constructing it.

Many players have been calling for a significant boost in marketing for quite sometime now. We need to raise the profile of the game. Yes player retention is important but so is attracting new players. There is no point adding new planets if we dont increase the player base. So yes, a good marketing campaign will help.

I also believe that the method used to raise revenue will increase the volume of ped in game - which in turn helps the loot pool (If it exists). Some have sold in game assets to raise ped to make the purchase and that ped will leave the economy - bad. But others such as myselfhave deposited to make the purchase - neutral. Now the dividends from revenue will be paid in ped and I beleive little of those dividends will be withdrawn but will instead be spent in game. Previously those dividends would have gone to MA or a PP and would have been removed from the in game economy to be paid in real currency. So the net effect is that 25% of gross revenue is staying in game when previously it would have been siphoned off.

Regards,
    KikkiJikki

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cyborg Bill

Im glad that my posts stir up so much controvesy. They do EXACTLY as I intend them to do. It gets you to take a second and think about what is going on and may at some point stop you from going into sheeple mode like so many do here and following the "It" crowd. This is and like any other forum about video games more of a peer pagent then what its real intention was designed for. There is not one forum for a video game that is not like this.

For the record AGAIN....I do love the game. I look forward to the potential of the game coming to light. When something I feel will interfere with that comes along I have and will ALWAYS state my opinion on it. There is NOTHING in my posts that is not true when using MA's proven track record and reputation to form a hypothosis of what will happen. 90% of you whether you want to admit it in public or not KNOW that MA is grasping at straws and is now throwing every gimmik they can into the game to suck money from it for whatever justification they use. You all KNOW that the ONLY thing that will fix EU and maybe make it start to grow again is addressing the cost to play, the segrgation of the rich from the rest of us, and the shitty rep MA has for doing nothing but lie since the restructuring after the bankruptcy.

Alot of you talking bad about me saying I only whine or bitch about things have not been around more then 5 minutes compared to many people in game so you have not been around long enough to see what I talk about first hand. Many old time players say the same but only the ones who have been treated fairly their entire time in game hang on to these premises to protect their interests.

Bottom line is I am a realist. I see things for what they truely are based on what I see coming from experience within this universe. I will say again..I dont care if you agree nor disagree with me I am who I am and will not become a sheeple just to fit in with the in crowd. If you dont like what I say you DO have the option to not read what I type you DO have the option to put me on ignore. I WONT give you the option to talk shit about me with out recourse if you put things on a personal level. So to those that dont care for what I say move on with your life and quit whining about your thinking I am a whiner or nay sayer as I will only press your buttons that much more in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  15. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

Yes I have learned to ignore Cyborg Bill and Cory Greyfox. I think I see them walk the streets at RT all the time ;) Everyone should just draw your own conclusion as to whats best read and gather your own facts, because the bashing will never end and it just goes round and round and round in an endless repeat.

stay :cool: and have fun

16. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

17. Cyborg Bill

PSST.. you dont see me walkin streets on RT you got me confused with someone else there bud

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lee DeLioncourt

Lee DeLioncourt Arkadian Outrider Platinum Member

More info on the Latest Buzz copied HERE.