1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New avatar system

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Kitten, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I'd like to see more beard options. Hair too... there's more detail, but seems like even less options than before.

2. Hodges

Hodges Member

It does seem that way, though I don't remember how many there were before. If that's the case, that's going to do nothing but hurt the hair stylists. I'm already seeing a lot of people saying they're not going to craft as much or pay for things like they used to because of how things look now. This could potentially be a very very bad move on MA's part if all the little problems aren't fixed very fast.

3. Neil

I suspect there will be more hairstyles available to stylists. Saying you're not going to play because of how things look... i mean really, it's just the very first day of the new system. Once they get the bugs fixed things will be fine. Which other systems work perfectly on the first day?

Beards tho, we really need more choice with those :) They have some nice ones... don't get me wrong, but where are the big santa claus and mountain man beards?? Maybe the game engine can't do beards that actually have volume? I dont' know.

4. T79x

T79x Adviser Arkadia Adviser

meanwhile in quarry....
    [video=youtube;ud73pL5wCCc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud73pL5wCCc[/video]

5. Hodges

Hodges Member

My main concerns are the increased lag and constant crashing that have started with this update. Until they fix the problems, I can't actually play and am stuck on Calypso because I can't stay logged in long enough to leave. I'm sure there are many others in the same situation, and I've been hearing a lot about crashing today from many people.

I picked up a new disciple yesterday and he's already deposited since he got started 2 weeks ago. I know these problems are going to scare off a lot of new players who are just arriving and I hope it doesn't get too bad, but there were already some people who could barely run the game because of how laggy it was to begin with.

With this increased lag, there are bound to be some of them who give up entirely because they can't play now and don't realize it may just be temporary. From the new players perspective, MindArk just made the game laggier by adding more detail to the graphics. Not a good way to keep them around.

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

lol!

That happeneed because I was wearing Aakas texture. The bugs with that suff deserve a whole thread to themselves (actually came here looking for such a thread. Might have to create it)

jay :)

7. Chris | Arkadia

Chris | Arkadia Arkadia Tech PAF Administrator Planet Arkadia Official

Hi Guys, I haven't seen it mentioned on the forum yet but scanners are bugged atm. If you scan 3 or 4 avatars the game crashes. MA has verified this bug already.

On a seperate note there will be a option to redo your avatar again with next weeks patch.

Regards,
    Chris

8. RexDameon

RexDameon Active Member Pro Users

i really dont like that ppl are saying they need to upgrade there computers now i thought this was going to do nothing but improve.

9. saradu

saradu Member

I have a new and fast computer that roni made me months back and I am getting lag as well. A new computer will not fix this. Perhaps if an older one, yes might see some improvements but don't expect it to perform a miracle here in Eu

10. Neil

I haven't had any crashes yet... but then I do run on low and don't have a lot of clothes and textured stuff in my inventory either.

Has everyone repaired their installation?

11. Hodges

Hodges Member

I did and I even tried running in safe mode with no difference.

12. Morgan Gekko

Morgan Gekko Member

I have a question about the controls in the ava creation setup. I went through the process, did a pretty good job, and, like everyone else, was disappointed how it looked in game. I found the controls in the avatar redesign process to be pretty straightforward except for one. On one of the screens there was a slider in the top right hand corner labelled "compression". Can anyone explain to me what that does? It may be something I want to tweak next week.

Thanks

Morgan

13. Hodges

Hodges Member

I actually didn't even see that anywhere. It could be that some people get it and some don't, or it could be that my client didn't show everything. I do know that it was a little difficult for me to read the text in the editor because it was so small and too close to the same color as the background, so it's possible I just missed it. I like the style of the editor, but I'm not going to give myself a headache trying to read all that small and dark text on a dark background.

That said, I have no idea what that could be, and am also curious of what it does.

14. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I think initially players are likely see a bit of lag as locally cached objects that are textured will need to be recached.

15. Hodges

Hodges Member

That's what I thought at first, but I'm having the same lag in areas that I'd been in for long periods of time with no other avatars around. It's not as bad without the other avatars, but it's still much more than it was before the update.

16. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

17. Nikto

Nikto Active Member

It controls how fat/skinny you are (you could use it as start depend on your plans).

18. Hodges

Hodges Member

I wish it were that simple. I'm lagging in areas I used to be able to run with no lag at all, even in safe mode, when I should be able to run on very high with no lag in those areas. And that's with no other avatars around. It's much worse with more avatars, but there should not be any lag in those places for me, as there never was before.

19. saradu

saradu Member

I remember someone from another forum saying they used compression and we think it's too keep the avatar from getting fat? He was actually slim, maybe to skinny, but either way he used it and thinks that is what it was. I am actually curious too to know for sure

20. Hodges

Hodges Member

I thought there was already another option for fat ratio. I remember it being in the normal options and messing with it myself. It wasn't called compression or in the top right corner, but in the normal options list. I'm not sure why there would be another setting for the same thing.