1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mining in a new way

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by Erastothenes, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Erastothenes

Erastothenes Member

How about "metal detectors". That would neccesitate there being stuff to be found with them, obviously. Could be armor sets buried with some long-gone colonist killed by mobs for example. Or small amounts of ammo that slipped through some pocket.

Perhaps make it so that most stuff found is really small change stuff - as in lost and forgotten by people things. And iron or other metal ore, possibly.
    Then once in a rare while, the grave of some colonists with all the gear - armor, fap, weapon, etc. - real rare but valuable finds.

The detectors could run on (L) batteries, and also decay, to pay for some revenue. Simple basic detector available cheap from TT, bigger ones with more range and dept available for those with higher "detector" skills and deeper pockets. A new type of amps for all this off course. And different size batteries for longer life. A digging tool. Anything else?

Could be a fun way of "mining" - and also give miners the opportunity to find items, and not only ores and enmatter.

cheers, eras

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fox

Fox Member

Good idea. Isn't Arkadia about Treasure Hunt? This would perfectly fit! :D

3. Kay Jones

Kay Jones Member

+ support
    + rep (ok, it's zero, but anyway ;) )

4. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Neat idea for an addition to mining or a sub profession to it like coloring and textures are to tailoring.

I do still find it funny that when people come up with new ideas now they tend to try and empahsise it by adding to make it L or say it could be decayed some how..This is all garanteed in anything that happens..You guys have not learned yet that MA WILL allways find a way to get their cut and more some how. Trust me they have more perverted ways to take from us them we have ideas for new things to add to the game.

(this is not an attack on the OP btw just a funny observation I see from nearly all suggestion posts)

5. krm398

krm398 Member

Technically, our detectors send shock waves into the ground and we use a scanner to detect it returning, so we find something. It might be possible to use the same equipment, just have a 'surface layer' scan made (less than 50 feet) for artifacts and loot. They would still respond to a sound/shock-wave, so all we'd need is a setting to detect things closer to the top. (most machines don't detect surface stuff, only deep things.. check your scanner, I think you'll see that the top 100 feet isn't even mentioned.Might also work for examining those chrystals we see on the surface, and surface deposits of ore,etc. (those rocks we see everywhere).

6. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Active Member

I like this idea!! :)

7. XeroX

XeroX Active Member Pro Users

yeah me2 it would certainly add to the treasure hunting feeling and would be nice to add some player skill to it where certain locations might be more likely to yield a nice return than others.

8. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

I just thought of something with the request fr metal detectors... Do I detect a little AW behind this request? I played that for a little bit and wanted to mine but with no real economy there when I played so it really didnt make sence to bother with yet.

9. krm398

krm398 Member

I always wanted to know...what the devil are those big crystals we see? Black ones white ones, sticking out of the ground...on Calypso they mean nothing, they don't even point to good mining..lol. But they are there, and Arkadia could use them for something for once, make them a crystal something that we can mine..with proper equipment of course that could even be the 'starter' equipment they sell, since it's really low in depth anyways, just adjust it to read from ground level down instead of skipping the first 75 meters or so.

This might be the first of Arkadia's unique minerals, and hard to find instead of being found in big 'forests' on Calypso.

10. Chiba

Chiba Member

I love your idea, OP :)