1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mining event for new players - win 1000 ped!

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by BlackHawk, Nov 9, 2011.

1. unicorn

unicorn Active Member Pro Users

New Resource claimed: Garcen Grease

View attachment 2666 View attachment 2667 View attachment 2668 View attachment 2669 View attachment 2670

Total Points: 15

Claimed Resources:
    Kaz Stones - (5 Screens)
    Telfium Stones - (5 Screens)
    Blausariam Stone - (5 Screens)
    Zolphic Oil - (5 Screens)
    Lysterium Stone - (6 Screens)
    Somin Tar - (6 Screens)
    Hydrogen Steam - (6 Screens)
    Copper Stone - (5 Screens)
    Ospra Stones - (6 Screens)
    Belkar Stone - (6 Screens)
    Force Nexus - (6 Screens)
    Gazzurdite Stone - (5 Screens)
    Acid Root - (5 Screens)
    Typonolic Steam - (5 Screens)
    Garcen Grease - (5 Screens)

2. unicorn

New Resource claimed: Edres Resin

View attachment 2678 View attachment 2679 View attachment 2680 View attachment 2681 View attachment 2682

Total Points: 16

Claimed Resources:
    Kaz Stones - (5 Screens)
    Somin Tar - (6 Screens)
    Acid Root - (5 Screens)
    Edres Resin - (5 Screens)

3. unicorn

New Resource claimed: Zinc Stone

View attachment 2683 View attachment 2684 View attachment 2685 View attachment 2686 View attachment 2687

Total Points: 17

Claimed Resources:
    Kaz Stones - (5 Screens)
    Somin Tar - (6 Screens)
    Acid Root - (5 Screens)
    Zinc Stone - (5 Screens)

4. unicorn

New Resource claimed: Ares Head

View attachment 2688 View attachment 2689 View attachment 2690 View attachment 2691 View attachment 2692

Total Points: 18

Claimed Resources:
    Kaz Stones - (5 Screens)
    Somin Tar - (6 Screens)
    Acid Root - (5 Screens)
    Zinc Stone - (5 Screens)
    Ares Head - (5 Screens)

5. unicorn

Resource claimed: Veda Stones (6 Screenshots)

View attachment 2693 View attachment 2694 View attachment 2695 View attachment 2696 View attachment 2697 View attachment 2698

Total Points: 19

Claimed Resources:
    Kaz Stones - (5 Screens)
    Somin Tar - (6 Screens)
    Acid Root - (5 Screens)
    Zinc Stone - (5 Screens)
    Ares Head - (5 Screens)
    Veda Stones - (6 Screens)

6. unicorn

New Resource claimed: Banite Stones

View attachment 2699 View attachment 2700 View attachment 2701 View attachment 2702 View attachment 2703

Total Points: 20

Claimed Resources:
    Kaz Stones - (5 Screens)
    Somin Tar - (6 Screens)
    Acid Root - (5 Screens)
    Zinc Stone - (5 Screens)
    Ares Head - (5 Screens)
    Banite Stones - (5 Screens)
    [​IMG]

7. unicorn

New Resource claimed: Yulerium Stones

View attachment 2715 View attachment 2716 View attachment 2717 View attachment 2718 View attachment 2719

Total Points: 21

Claimed Resources:
    Kaz Stones - (5 Screens)
    Somin Tar - (6 Screens)
    Acid Root - (5 Screens)
    Zinc Stone - (5 Screens)
    Ares Head - (5 Screens)
    Yulerium Stones - (5 Screens)

8. unicorn

Resource claimed: Aliencies Liquid (6 Screenshots)

View attachment 2727 View attachment 2728 View attachment 2729 View attachment 2730 View attachment 2731 View attachment 2732

Total Points: 22

Claimed Resources:
    Kaz Stones - (5 Screens)
    Somin Tar - (6 Screens)
    Acid Root - (5 Screens)
    Zinc Stone - (5 Screens)
    Ares Head - (5 Screens)
    Yulerium Stones - (5 Screens)
    Aliencies Liquid - (6 Screenshots)[​IMG]

9. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Member

It has come to my attention that some of the advisers actually do a lot of effort to convince people not to participate in this event.
    I can't say that I can complain too much really. I think it would have been a nice idea.

I would be really stupid to go against such strong names in community... so please close this thread. Is clear is a total fail.

As a note to the smart one that fight so hard against me... is not the first time I do a thing like this. It used to be a time when all my posts on forum were constructive. When I was only helpful and polite and this acid side of me was never present. Then people like you happened...

I will avoid getting involved in any public debate over anything just to keep it polite. And you can have it your way. I'm done. Maybe my event sucked and was motivated by greed, like you say. Okay. Maybe you do one from the bottom of your heart that would be better for everyone else.

Maybe my English sucks too bad. But in my mind, an adviser was supposed to be something else. And if I'm the greedy one, what are you? I admit. I am upset. Mad really. I am tempted to post so many things that should be edited out after reading the post again I will just stop writing.
    baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

• Like Like x 1
  10. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Wow! Sorry to hear this. I would have tried the event but I failed the intelligence test.

11. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Forum Official Pro Users

I'm really sorry to hear that, BlackHawk. It seemed like a good event to me. Please PM Cyrus if you think there's anything that he may need to address.

12. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

I thought this event had been a huge success from watching the posts and claims being made. Would be a shame to see you stop doing events like this BH. I echo what Tim has said above, if there is something that needs to be addressed please PM Cyrus.

13. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

Really, what is possibly wrong with this event? It was run well has some participants and seemed very active. How, may I please ask, was it triggered to personal greed? You publicly stated that you were using event to collect data points for mining and all those pieces of data are available for anyone else to compile as well. I would ignore the opposition and as long as you have participants keep the event going, just because a fellow adviser disagree's with what you are doing does not make it wrong, advisers are just normal players with same goals as you to make PED. We have just volunteered to be liasons for the planet in any shape or form and become a guide for new players, that is all we have no rights to tell others how to play or what to do.

Please do not give up on this event it actually was a well designed event. When I see Cyrus again I'll mention this to him. Or hope he reads about it on the forum.

14. Cyrus

Cyrus Well-Known Member

Hi Black Hawk,

I have been made aware of the incident and I think there is a misunderstanding. Going through the chat logs of the Adviser and your disciple:

It was just a courtesy reminder to have promotion/advertisement related stuff put in trade chat. I guess it happens sometimes both in-game and on the forums where tone of voice can't be heard and gets misinterpreted.

I do feel that this is a great event. If there are still injustices that I am not informed about, please take it to pm with me. In this incident, I trust that the adviser in question has done the right thing in teaching a new player an in-game ethic he/she might not have known about. True, the choice of words could be better, but our Advisers are players and humans too.

We take our Advisers behavior seriously as they are our Ambassadors as well as a projection of Planet Arkadia's community. I have just posted up a new Code of Conduct yesterday for our Advisers which has been discussed and agreed upon before it went public. All our advisers do know the the limitations on what can or cannot be done. Current Advisers have a choice to bow out of the program if they feel it is limited to their activities and actions in the game.

Likewise, if an Arkadia Adviser was in the same shoes, I will stick out for them to the end. Our Advisers are putting a lot of time and efforts into this voluntary work. If anyone of you have a problem with our Advisers, I kindly suggest you send me a pm.

Instead of one that is motivated by greed, I think this is a splendid community event.

Firstly, all the screenshots are shown publicly in a thread where everyone has access to. This means that if others in the community wants, they can feed the information into their database. This will benefit everyone who takes the time and effort to record the data presented.

Secondly, Arkadia has 576 square km of space. Tracking data for the whole land mass is a mean feat for an individual. This again promotes community building where a number of players can explore new terrains that have limited resource information.

Lastly, I speak a variety of languages so my English is not perfect either. I can completely understand your English, so don't worry about it. :eek:

Appreciate your efforts in the planning and execution of this event. Keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Kmax, unless I missed someone, there have only been two participants so far: Silvia and me.

So... I think I have a fairly informed perspective of this event and what you might call its shortcomings. There were a number of issues that I believe made people leery. I'm not criticizing here, just analyzing, for what it's worth. I know it's difficult to come up with an event that actually turns out the way you intended it.

One issue was the rule that if 5 people don't get at least 20 resources unlocked, then no one wins, even in the (unlikely) event that 4 people were to get every single Arkadian resource unlocked, all their labor would be in vain because none of them could win and there would be no motivation for a 5th player to enter the contest. Another issue was that the winning player had to get at least 5 claims for every single resource on Arkadia. Some are rare and deep, difficult or nearly impossible for a new player without a deep finder to find. Though there was a provision for that: the no-new resources in a month rule, so deep resources may not have been a problem, but any noob who spent say 500 ped on chips could probably get a deeper finder and win the contest with deeper ores. Another issue is the cost of the project... if I'd have used full-sized finders, I'd have expected to spend more than 1000 ped on this project, and I don't mean peds cycled, I mean actual loss. Especially in the current ore market. Yes, I'd get to keep the mapping, but some of my favorite spots, particularly the rarer finds, are going to be made public for all to suck dry. I think this was probably the issue that concerned some of the "nay-sayers" the most.... that even the winner of the event (if there even was a winner) might not break even with the winnings, but yet Hawk would get lots of data. That disparity was seen by some as unfair to the participants, new miners who may not quite realize the value of mapping data. And last, but not least, the contest design would have given last-minute participants an unfair advantage: they wouldn't need to spend any time or money mapping. They'd simply feed off the work done by the first participants, having an abundance of pre-mapped coordinates to exploit.

So having participated in this event, I do believe there were a couple of problems with the contest design. Perhaps it would have been better received if it had not been intended for noobs, but rather for experienced miners who can mine more efficiently and not take as big a loss with such a large mapping project. Though tbh I can't see experienced miners wanting to give out their mining data like that unless they're actually being paid to do it, or just really community-minded :) But on the other hand I was sorry to hear of it being discontinued. Not for my own sake -- after all, rookie finders never let me down these days ;) -- but I know that Silvia has spent a lot of time and peds on this project so far. Though at this point, of course, neither of us yet had a chance at winning....

I hope these comments can be used constructively, I do not mean any of this as negative criticism, but perhaps maybe it can help simlar, future events run more smoothly.

---

Edit: I wrote the above thinking the event had definitely been canceled. I'm not sure of Blackhawk's plans, if the event will continue or not, but I just wanted to add that I've got no problem with it continuing. As long as all participants understand the "issues" I mentioned. And Cyrus is right, getting more info about resource locations out to the Ark community is a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Member

Okay. I admit. In the soc chat all sounded a lot more dramatic, and after the posts that were made when I started the event, I had all the reasons to believe that this is just as bad as it sounds.
    Ofc, my wish is to have this event as cool as it can be. Now that I started it, it may just as well be great.
    You are right. Minimum 5 people may seem... bad and can actually stop people from registering. And it would be sad.

About the fact that people can dry up a place... that will never happen. Your TT return will be about 90% with just about any finder you use and this could have beed one of the things you could have learned.

With OF-105 you can find almost all ores out there. In order to max it you need very few skills.

The event was not intended for people using rookie tools. However, I do not want them to be excluded.

Neil, I am glad you made the last post. I was under the impression that you stopped because of bad PR, rather than a personal conclusion you may have had, and that was what upsets me most. You will see that if you keep mining, and pay attention, you will not have the losses you claim to have.

In conclusion, the rules of the event will change.

There will be set a minimum number of resources one needs to reach. That should be the total number of resources that are on Arkadia minus 8. The 8 will probably be rare deep ores only people with a lot of skill or using depth enhancers will find.

People will learn a lot about the mining participating on their own in this event. That is the goal. The funny thing is that I started hunting again... I may not actually use the info gathered in here. That would be the irony of life... But we will see about that. Knowing what is where is good anyway. Most people won't understand much even if you feed them all the data at once, and those that understand don't actually need to many pointers because they can get it themselves. I am just lazy....

Okay... with all that, the conclusion is that the rules will change with the purpose of making this better for participants, yet keeping it challenging.

So, first change.

No matter how many people join, if you get the number of resources, you win. Who gets maximum number of resources, gets the first prize. Second price will go to the one that reaches the second the same number.

Since I do not know how many resources actually are on Arkadia, I am thinking about basing this on what is in auction. So we will need to count all resources listed in auction, minus RT ores and enmaters - and those are easy to spot. When we get that number, we substract 8 and that is our final number. If over LONG time the number proves to be too high and impossible to be achieved, that number will be reduced to something reasonable. But we will discuss this when time comes.

I do regret all the drama that ended up around and in this event. I wish there was a way to avoid it. I am aware that some of it was brought on me by myself and it all started when I decided not to be nice with people by default and slap them right back when I feel they deserve it. And I do over react at times. It is hard to keep a balance. I know that for some it seems like I am some guy with double personality or something... and that confuses people. I am like a pacifist with some nuclear bombs... But since is in the name of peace... again... the irony...

This is getting long so I will stop.
    I want this to be good. I really do. I would appreciate ANY help in designing this event. Comments and suggestions, if they are made in good faith will be appreciated and considered. If I dismiss something, or accept something, it will be for a reason. And I will always explain my logic if you want me to. But please, communicate and help me if you feel you can. And I wrote one more paragraph after I said I stop... irony....

17. Neil

The main reason I stopped was to wait and see if at least 4 other people would start participating. :)

18. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Forum Official Pro Users

It gladdens my heart.

I've clarified the rules in the OP once before, and I can do it again :)

Just let me know when you're clear on what all the rule changes should be (presumably there will be a little more discussion first).

Regarding how to work out "the number of resources minus 8", how about the original plan of working out the number of resources when a month of no new resources has passed, and THEN subtracting 8 and handing out prizes?

19. Neil

The auction probably isn't a good count of resources. Here is the list of resources from the LBML shared data (http://www.mininglog.com/maps.php).

Ores (35)
    alferix
    azzurdite
    banite
    belkar
    blausariam
    caldorite
    copper
    durulium
    erdorium
    erionite
    gazzurdite
    gold
    hebredite
    ignisium
    iolite
    iron
    kaz
    langotz
    lidacon
    lyst
    maganite
    megan
    narcanisum
    niksarium
    ospra
    platinum
    quantium
    telfium
    terrudite
    veda
    wenrex
    yulerium
    zinc
    zulax

Enmatters (31)
    acid root
    alicenies
    ares
    azur pearls
    binary
    cave sap
    crude oil
    dianthus
    edres
    energized
    ferrum
    florican
    force
    force nexus
    garcen
    growth
    henren
    hydrogen
    lumis
    lytairian
    magerian
    melchi
    pel
    quil
    solis
    somin
    star
    typonolic
    vorn
    xelo
    zolphic

Rare resources that have been reported found on our forum since the resource update:
    xeremite
    tridenite
    devil's tail
    dunkel
    lordium
    adomasite

So combining those lists we get 72 total. 72 - 8 is 64. 64 will be a challenge. (Not that a challenge is bad!)

20. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

Awesome I'll start collecting screenies again, I stopped when I throught the event ended. so three are in the event now :)

And I got some devils tail last night also and never captured it :(