1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for votes

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by GeorgeSkywalker, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

Added edit to initial post:

need to update other threads as well.. Will come back once done and write a bigger reply here.

Edit:
    added this to opening post.
    Reason for changes. Seems to be only the payment part that people are against hence thats changed. If arkadia team do allow payments to be made for votes then it will be re-instated. With hindsight I should have thought of that before.

2. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

I think the names of the owners shouldn't be shown in the voting selection, makes it a bit fairer.

Some people advertise in their radio show, others pm people on different forums, in the end it isn't about who has the best looking apartment, but who reaches the most people, and i'm sure George reached a lot of them today :)

I ended up voting for george's apartment (before the reward was offered) but in all honesty that was because i like george, and not because i think he has the best rooftop.

3. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

That about sums up how it is all flawed and why it needs to change. Why do we accept something that is flawed and we all know it's flawed? At least I think most of us know ...

And agreed hiding names can be better. It's not something that a person voting on the merits of each entry needs to know.

4. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

Why retract?
    It's not against the rules.
    As someone else mentioned, they got PM'd to vote for someone.
    Who knows if/how many "behind the scene" bribes like George is doing publically are going on?

When I said it was "uncool", I meant it, but imo it is DEFINATELY NOT against the rules.
    I know what Dr. George is saying and I know why he did this.

And (as I stated in a different thread) WE know how people are in EU.
    Again I'll restate: I personally don't think atm there are too many "shady votes", but as mentioned earlier here, some are getting PMs saying "Hey! Come vote for me!" to which I think is uncool as well.
    Not to mention my "theories" of what has went on in past comps.

Call me nutty, but I'd just like people to vote, on their own terms, to what they actually like the best, crazy ain't it?

I am actually in one of these and last I looked, I was tied. I DO NOT want any of my pals cruising in here and voting for me just because they know/like me (*insert joke here :D ).
    Fuck that, I only want a vote for my place if that voter likes my place the best.

Fuck it, It'll prolly cost me the comp but I am all good with that.

Fortunately I am only in the contest with Jenn and Jul, both to which I believe to be stand up people.
    Now this is not to say I think any of the other contestants in other catagories are not, I am just addressing the issue in general and basing it on past instances of contests.

But I digress:
    I'll make everyone a deal: If you EVER get a PM or have me ask you in any way to vote for me just because, I'll give you 1k ped!
    How's that?
    :D

5. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

Because simply put it gives ammunition to Arkadia team, a simple way out. To disqualify my entry as some are suggesting. To avoid that from happening I changed it because I'm pretty sure they would take the simple route. As they did when they started this competition. Remember the fairer selection system thread was made before it and in Cyrus initial thread I did say forum votes method is flawed. He made no reply and went ahead with the forum votes method.

6. aj502

George, you're not doing anything anyone else hasn't done - of that, I am certain.
    You just have the balls to let everyone know.
    ;)

Now that's a simple and easy suggestion. Sure, there's easy ways around it for those who want to cheat, but it'll make it that much more of a pain in the ass for them which I am all for.

Well, if someone is just advertising the contest itself on their radio show, there's nothing wrong with that. But if they are using their show to ask people to vote for them, then that's bullshit imo.
    I actually do a radio show but I would never ask anyone on air to vote for be just because it's me. That's low integrity imo and just as bad as PMing people and making alts to vote for yourself.
    But you'll never hear me mention the contest on my show because I made it a point to never mention this forum again on air, but that's a different story altogether. (not like anyone listens anyway :D )

But the main point I bolded and underlined, and that's why I generally don't like contests. I called it before...Someone else posted it a few times:
    "Let the popularity contest begin" was the phrase.

Well as I was all fluffy with agreeing with you before, now I turn into the proverbial asshole that I am.
    What the fuck?
    It's apparent you and I agree that this type of "popularity contest" is bullshit, yet you just did what you, I and others just said was the wrong thing to do!
    You don't find that a bit fucking hypocritical?!
    You basically just told us all you don't have enough integrity to give an unbiased and impartial deciscion.

I would LOVE to hear the reason WHY you couldn't just...Uh...PUT YOUR VOTE IN FOR THE ONE YOU LIKED BEST!

I like George - he's cool...Sure, I don't know him too well. I know/like him better than some of the other entrants in that catagory...Did I vote for him because of that?
    Fuck no!
    I voted for the roof I liked the best, which was VERY CLOSE to being someone I don't even know! (Wild Bill)

I'll give you this tho, like George at least you have the balls to let everyone know so there's that.

Tippin'

7. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

Yes that is correct, on all points. Knowing what the right thing to do is, and doing the right thing are two completely different things.

Why did i vote for george? Some reasons really
    -because he (was) an underdog since less in the picture then some other contestants
    -because he's a ranger :)
    -because he has invested so much in EU/arkadia and imo can use a little break

So in the end it is more about who i want to win a nice price, then about who has the nicest rooftop.

I'm sure there are people who voted for bonnie because they fly a lot on the normandie with her, she helped make space a lot more fun and safe for travelers, or just because they like her accent on normandie radio.

8. aj502

Heh, here I thought you were gonna fly off the handle at me.

Well, I do appreciate an honest answer - even if it is for the completely wrong reason.
    And you are right, you are not the only one doing it for that (wrong) reason. We all know it's not going to be the "collective" best one that wins. It never is, is it?

...Which is really strange as to how I am tied in "my" contest...As you can tell by the way I type and do not sugarcoat, I'm not very popular.
    Perhaps there ARE exceptions to the rule?

Tippin'

• Like Like x 1
  9. narfi

narfi Active Member Pro Users

Dick move imo.

Regardless of your thoughts on the rules, you know the rules when you enter something like this and should work within them.

Your politics and opinions should have been separated from this event because you undermine the work of those who are willing to work within the rules of an event they entered.

Anyone pissing in anyone's cheerios pisses me off.
    As an educator you should already know and understand all of this, and not been an ass about it.

Instead of destroying something, you should have created something better on your own to demonstrate your views.

narfi

ps. I don't like voting events either

10. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

George, I've changed the title of the thread as you requested.

To All Members,

Just in case you are thinking about abusing the rep system, then I'm putting you on notice, DON'T DO IT.
    There is nothing wrong with giving someone neg rep as long as you post a "valid" reason/comment for doing so - you could even try to make your comment constructive.
    Posting smilies :) or blank comment fields and such is not valid and constitutes abuse of the system. When reported, these will be removed. Continued instances of this sort of thing will result in the BanHammer being applied.

You have been warned.

11. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

This isn't Rocktropia the corruption capital of EU. This is Arkadia where there is a glimmer of hope and decency. Arkadia have a good reputation. The question is, is that just reputation or is there some substance behind it? Maybe we will soon find out. These questions cannot be answered by doing what you suggest.

Care to clarify why that is? I can't see why vote rigging would be the answer (due to below)?

In another post you said:
    Question is were you so sure before the event even started? Was the event over before it even started? For example how much say did you have in the rules? What other support did you receive?

Before you start off on your denial and rant you may want to consider what honesty and decency is?

Thanks. Very much appreciated.

12. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

So your attack on Narfi is uncalled for. The Thing event was not a vote driven event. Win criteria is loot based.

Very sad to see you resorting to mudslinging. -rep for that post

13. AlexSolo

AlexSolo Member

Hello,

I would see these votings on the forums sure as a possibility for networkers to have a better chance to win than others.

But isn't that in real life the same? People with a wider network have access to more possibilities than what 2 hands alone can do.

A friend of mine once took part in a voting to win a trip on a fisher boat at some company. Damn we gave everything to recruit people to send him on this crab fishing adventure. thats natural that people do that on a open voting.

In terms of a competition for all entropians this appartment event could be handled same as Mr/Miss Arkadia event.

An fix Arkadian event jury could visit all participants appartments together and then vote after. Best and worst result get deleted from each participants vote like razor suggested and then the winner is elected.

Since someone really could have a nicer appartment than someone else but maybe is not so good in taking screenshots and whatever.

But for voting systems I would keep it as simple as can be. If I have to study before being able to understand my voting rights I close the forums. Not everyone is a native english speaker to understand tons of academic text.

We have at Arkadia the Arkadian Adviser group plus an community manager (well respected). A bunch of people who have dedicated them to the Arkadian Community.

Simple voting rules at Arkadia:
    Arkadian Round Table
    (this is the Arkadian voting system for all Arkadian events because they are from Arkadia):

the arkadian adviser group forms for every event where judgement is needed a round table of adviser judges. (since there are several advisers the judges can vary from event to event)

the advisers vote upon their own feeling in an objective way after the olympic voting system (suggested by razor)
    (possible votes 0-6 points worst and best points get deleted)

community manager collects all votes and presents the results openly plus announces the winners.

an adviser taking part in an voting event cant be in the round table. advisers can take part in events as i think the community manager will have an eye on the performance of the adviser as well as the performance of the round table. trust that or dont take part.

if anyone discusses the jury's decision afterwards he or she gets disbanned from future arkadian events. (all of them may it be sports type or voting events)

end.

14. cute781217

cute781217 Active Member Pro Users

Are you completely lost yourmind now? You first paying for vote to destroy a event to serve your own goal, now you assuming Narfi win the MS illegally. What are you doing really? I dont know Narfi personally, even he loves and supporting the worst planet in my eyes, I wouldntquestion his winning in MS event in any ways.

I dont know why you seem to still consider yourself a brave hero that did nothing worng. Come on David orCyrus please do something right now, Im not saying change the voting system, what im saying is give the guy a temp ban thats what he deserved. The change of future voting system should be done for sure, but nee to wait until at least 1 month or so of temp ban on george done.

15. Cyrus

Cyrus Well-Known Member

As usual, Arkadia Studios take onboard the feedback presented. I have now read through the posts and have decided that for future company events, all the results will be determined by official Arkadia staff,i.e Dave, myself and the developers, forming the Arkadian Round Table as suggested by Alex Solo.

Forum moderators and Arkadia Advisers will not be included in the voting/selection to detract any unneccesary furore with the community, however, they are always free to take part in the events if they wish to.

With this decision, I'd also implore the Community to trust in the integrity of the results chosen by the Arkadian Round Table. I already foresee that even with this system, some individuals from the community will be complaining if a player affiliated with Arkadia Studios wins an event. Please note that be it forum moderators or Arkadia Advisers, these people are just normal players volunteering their time for Planet Arkadia and has as much right to take part in events as other players.

I'll discuss futher with the moderators before making any decision on actions.

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Well-Known Member

This thread will be closed. Any actions against the OP will be made known to him via pm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.