1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Known Forum Issues

Discussion in 'Forum Support' started by Admin, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

I changed the session timeout from 15min to 30min... hopefully that's long enough to allow for longer posts... I don't want to increase it further as it has impact on other forum statistics such as "Who's Online", so if you feel you're drawing close to the 30min cutoff, just hit the Preview Post and that will reset the timeout counter.

2. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Thanks Van,
    Even as long winded as I tend to be if I cant type what I need to say in 30 mins I prolly need to shut up and just go to bed.

Quick question tho...is this the over all log in inactivity timer that you changed or is there a specific timer for the reply part of this all?
    I can leave the forum up a long time inactively its when replying to a post that the time out frustrates me.

3. Admin

The forum makes no distinction between replying to posts or just browsing, so cookie timeout is 30mins across the whole lot. One other thing that popped into my head just now, perhaps your internet drops out and reconnects, causing a new IP address... not sure if this has any effect on cookies though... anyway, half an hour should be good for most people :)

4. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

why don't you subscribe to the threads you posted in? I thought that was a bug that would have been solved by now :(

5. Kay Jones

Kay Jones Member

just in case: did you enable it? it's disabled by default and that made it work for me.

6. Admin

Yep that's a personal setting you need to change in your control panel. In my previous experience running forums, most people prefer not to subscribe right away.

Check your user control panel (Settings -> General Settings -> Default Subscription Mode) and apply the most appropriate :)

7. Cyborg Bill

I still cant get past the login issues I stated earlier..I stopped messin with cookies and all..every other forum I visit works fine just the newer versions of Vbullitin for here and PCF..Im baffled since I am really internet illiterate so Ill just keep manually refreshing things to get what I need done.

8. Admin

Avatar name now displays in users' posts :)

If you haven't set your Avatar Name yet, please do so through the Control Panel

9. lokiscamaro

lokiscamaro Member

ummm that is not the control panel, that is the edit page.....where is my subscribed threads and reps? there is no link at the top of the page to goto the USER CONTROL PANEL, how do i get there? i cant read my reps or see any of the threads ive posted in............

10. Cyborg Bill

Most everything can be acceessed from clicking settings at the top of teh page Loki. This brings up the rep and suscribed threads. The rest canbea ccessed by the menu at the left side there.

11. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

You say subscriptions to threads is now working yet when i go to subscribed threads i see zilch! Does this mean threads that i've posted on are not automatically subscribed?

12. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

Stupid question, but you did switch the option on first, right?

(Settings, general settings, Default subscription mode: Through my control panel only)

13. Admin

Yep Cyborg Bill is correct. The "Settings" link on top right will take you to the User Control Panel :)

14. Admin

It will subscribe upon posting if you've set it up so that the Default Subscription Mode is set to anything other than "Do not subscribe".

If you change that today, it won't go back and subscribe you to threads you've posted into prior to today. For that, you'd need to find all your posts, and manually subscribe to them...

Hope this helps.

15. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

Thanks, corrected it now.

Shouldn't the default be set to "through my control panel only"? mine was set to do not subscribe. Not sure if thats a default setting or at some stage i went and changed it to do not subscribe

16. Admin

Default is "Do Not Subscribe", but this setting can be changed by Admins for when new people sign up. My past experience has proven "Do no subscribe" to be the most favoured option by default.

17. Lezardine

Lezardine Active Member

Hi there!

I noticed a significant slowdown of internet connection when Arkadia Forum is opened in a browser. Both Firefox and Chrome, not tested with IE.

Could you please verify this? I had bad lag in EU because of this, so had so close AF while playing :-(

Have a great day

.LeZ.

18. Admin

Hey Lezardine - I'm not sure why that would be the case. What page were you reading? Front page or the forums?

If it was the front page then maybe it's because there are some images which take a little bit of time to download (even though they are displayed as thumbnails, they are the full size image).

Anyone else having issues? I've not noticed any.

19. Lezardine

Lezardine Active Member

Hi Van,
    I'll try to pinpoint what's the cause and when/where it occurs.

• Like Like x 1