1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Planet Arkadia Sweating?

Discussion in 'Ask an Adviser' started by Ty Williams, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Lee DeLioncourt

Lee DeLioncourt Arkadian Outrider Platinum Member

Thinking the whole topic of sweating and related discussion about it on Arkadia is really about newcomers, and so a discussion of interest to them, moving this over to that section :)

2. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

I have to argue the fact that getting nubs to pay asap is a good thing. There is a landslide that will follow if that is in the end the only way to start.

The fact I say this is the noob sweating to get his start also earns defensive skills while doing his thing. Thus by the time he can afford to go hunt or wander the land to explore he has some bit of help in protceting himself thus lowering his innitial cost to see what the game is about.

The paying noob has 0 defense skills and prompting one to pay for armor he can not use proficiantly is perpetuating the thoughts that EU is a scam and just rips people off. The person getting raped on decay fees vs the sweater who gained a few skills I would think see this as bullshit and either never depo again or flat out walk away. But then agian after beining involved in many discussions over the years my way to think isnt even close to the way the other side of the world is so Im probably just talkin to hear myself talk again.

3. Erik Bruser

Erik Bruser Member

Maybe arkadia could put an "A" on sweat sweated on arkadia. In this way it's incompatible with calypso sweat, so If you buy sweat you know it's honest Arkadia sweat ( and not from exploits)

4. AttacKat

AttacKat Active Member

With the removal of inter-planet auctions by MA, I think sweats within Arkadia will gain more value/PED, as long as they are a necessary resource for something. So the market value of 2PED/K on Calypso will have no effect on Arkadia.

5. Ty Williams

Ty Williams Member

VERy GOOD IDEA!!! VERY GOOD GOOD IDEA.. It would Show Other Planets Worth as Far as Actual Player Particapation!! For Us to Actually See.. So i think this could Work for ALL Planets.. (Dave.. This one Right Here, Thumps Up)

GOod.. So Who Wants To Help ME Set up a Nice Sweat Business? (if People Havnt Already Started ;) )

6. Fishface

Fishface Adviser Arkadia Adviser

I like the way that Arkadia is marketing the game as fun to play as opposed to free to play. This gives a more realistic expectation to the new players. I've always felt that attracting a new player and having him leave in disgust a week later is worse than not attracting him at all. By keeping the expectations realistic, you increase overall satisfaction. How many times have you seen new players in the new arrivals spawn who come in saying "where do i get money?"

As far as the sweat value is concerned, a lot of the value of sweat is due to the exploit before v10 came out, where the mobs could be sweated on server borders and they wouldn't attack you. It wasn't uncommon to see a line of OJ's along the border between sweat camp and phoenix, all afk sweating with their autoclickers. The price further fell after v10 came along, due to a large number of players who's computer could no longer run the game well. This caused further decline in demand, and eventually the balance was bad on sweaters vs users.

Nevertheless, there is still a need for sweat, since people still use MF to TP back to a half-dead mob after getting a crit. New uses for ME would help this, but so would less people coming into the game with the expectation to be able to sweat a million dollars. I'd even be in favor of re-implementing the sweat cap, if that is allowed. I had heard stories when i was new to the game about them removing the sweat cap and adding fruit so that they could demonstrate that it is at least possible to play for free, in order to be able to say that without putting money into the game it cannot be gambling. I never knew if this was true or not though.

My own solution has been to give new players a TT weapon and 10 ped of ammo. It lets them go try out the game and see if they like it before they deposit. I just make sure to let them know that it is a one time thing, and I have no intention of funding their game play. Only real exception has been for the WoW crowd who comes in begging.

The best thing that I think the new players need though is good advice. It's the one thing that we as players can really affect. It is up to the A-Team to focus the marketing on the players that they think would be best for the game, and we don't really get a voice in the matter. But once they get here, I think that adopting a few noobs and letting them PM you with questions each day would help out a lot until such time as mentoring comes back.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Puck

Puck Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I wholeheartedly agree!