1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important note for computers with integrated and nvidia cards

Discussion in 'Technical' started by svena, Nov 16, 2013.

1. svena

svena Active Member Pro Users

As I like to consider myself at least somewhat computer literate this is embarrassing for me to post, but I figured I should just in case anyone else has also run into this issue.

Way back when Ark held its first event, I was the lucky winner of an Alienware M11x R1 laptop. Its been a pretty nice laptop so far, though I don't use it too often as my desktop is usually within reach. However, its always been a bit sluggish when playing games. It struck me as a bit odd, but I just chalked it up to maybe being a lower end model/games advancing too fast/entropia being horribly optimized/etc.

Well tonight was the right mix of distance away from the desktop, frustration and boredom. Nvidia apparently pulls an interesting little trick when a computer has both an integrated gfx and a separate nvidia card. It will decide on its own what process gets what processor. It also just so happens to pick the integrated card for nearly everything.

I followed this simple video:

[video=youtube_share;lFBWXUTnKfM]http://youtu.be/lFBWXUTnKfM[/video]

and bam, the computer suddenly works :huh: Who would a thought entropia.exe would need to run on the nvidia instead of the integrated processor :whistle:

I hope this helps others that may have also won/purchased the other alienware or similar computers. Perforamce after this little fix is stunningly better.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Excellent post +rep

Hmmm, I might move it to the Technical Forum though.

I wonder if the X-51 desktop computers have a similar setup?

3. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Snape it's not the model of Alienware so much as the model of graphics card. If you use Nvidia then its worth checking your set up as you will probably also have on-board graphics. I have an AMD Radeon HD 7970M in my M18X so there are different issues to look at. I haven't bothered cos the performance is kinda awesome compared to my last machine.

4. Nickstar

Nickstar New Member

Checked my new/old x51 this morning even though it runs on high/very high it was running usuing integrated graphics.
    i swapped it to nvidia and will check tonight when i get home from work to test difference. :)

5. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Watched the video and checked out my desktop and I don't seem to have the options that the chap describes....SO, I'm going to assume that means I don't have an integrated and I just have the nVidia 570 GTX to do things (Device Manager seems to confirm this).

I will check my Laptop though as that has a 570M in it but I'm not sure if it has the integrated thing too. In any case, great post by the OP.