1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea: Extremely rare creature

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Ardorj, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Ardorj

Ardorj Active Member Pro Users

So I got this idea after watching something at National Geographic. It was about some guy in search of "some kind of monster living in the Amazon". In true Explorings style they pretented not to know what it was that attacked livestock and people alike and began searching for clues all over the Amazon. Catching many creatures, all with the remark "this can't be our creature". In the end they found one of what they called "The elusive Anaconda".

Well, this started me thinking: there are a lot of creatures here on earth that are seldom seen. Many new are discovered I believe every day (most of them insects, but also a few larger). What about if there would be these type of seldom encountered creatures in the Entropian Universe? And then I don't mean something like an Eomon that isn't seen for 11 months and then is all over Eudoria by the thousands to be slaughtered and butchered. What I mean is a special creature like this:
    - Its spawnrate is so low that for many days none may spawn.
    - It has a very large spawn area, like half a continent so that none may know where to look for this creature.
    - When it is detected, it may go into hiding. If one is detected you got a couple of minutes (??) to attack it. If you don't, it will go into hiding, meaning you can't find it will spawn maybe an hour later some 200 (??) meters away.
    - If you see the creature (I mean, get that box around it and see the name, maturity and level) you have it detected. If you deceide not to attack/ kill it, you can notify the authorities and give the time and location of detection. Now hunters have a clue where to look for it.
    - When attack and the hunter is killed, the same hidingrule applies. Meaning that if you or anyone else isn't attacking it no longer, it will dissapear for an hour or more and repear a small distance away.
    - This creature is smarter then most. Meaning that it won't follow you blindly towards a turret. It could even aggro and run away in a different way. Only attack when it is attacked first. When you come close, it will try to run away first (like a Chirpy) so that a good tagger is needed. If it runs, it has a good change to hide.
    - It won't stay idle in one place waiting for you to come and kill it. It moves around after being spawned and when it does it may hide again for a while.
    - Perhaps even let it be controlled by the Planet Developers (I read once that MindArk can control creatures is they want). This to prefend it from getting itself killed by a turret, small lake or whatever danger there is. And also give it a more natural feeling for moving about the place.
    - The level depends ofcourse of the maturity, but let's say that a Young can be hunted by a small team (3-4) of lvl 30-40 players.
    - And let's not forget about the loot too: it should ofcourse contain some rare item.

So, what do you think about it? Good idea for hunters to find "something out of the ordinary" that is really a rare species to encounter?

:cool::dark::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Puck

Puck Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Good ideas, all. Not sure the mob AI is robust enough to handle the behavior you suggested.

3. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I like the idea of extremely rare, special mobs. But I don't necessarily agree with all the complexity you've described. The key, IMO, is to make the mob "worth" finding... so it would have some kind of special, valuable loot that you can loot every (or nearly every) time you kill one.

4. anthonymorris

anthonymorris Platinum Member Platinum Member Arkadia Adviser

Nice idea and but I tend to agree with Neil on this one the complexity is the issue here. Make it simple and well a surprise I like the idea of it running away unless attacked. But having it disappear if you die andcome back hours later is not so good for the guy who happens to stumble onto it lol. It does not have to be uber hard to kill kind of make it as strong as like a bokol, and keep it rare once a month and only seeable to those running or walking the land. Even the color on the radar could be different like a white.

If I was mining and seen a white dot I would be like What The Heck is that????? And then it would be me equipping my most uber weapon I have on me, and then a thought of "let’s see what we have here" …….. once I got close enough and noticed it was not attacking me I would then scan it say“AAWW or OOOO” depending on how cute or ugly it was *pause for 3 seconds to relish the moment*. Finally I would whip out the weapon again and run it down,"likethe dirty little freak of nature it is " and kill it. But then I think MA would nerfsomething else of Arkadia's if they did it. You know you can’t be bigger thancalypso or have cooler stuff that will bring in people to the planet. But allin all a good idea for the Arkadian team to think about.

5. Ardorj

Ardorj Active Member Pro Users

Thank for the replies!
    Concerning the hide-factor of this creature, I imagine it to be elusive/ scared/ afraid of humans. It doesn't want to be found and when it is, it don't want to be refound so easily. So, concerning my idea of it going in hiding after you're killed. I don't mean when you've died from a critical hit, you will have enough time to jump back again (not much). However, you won't have enough time to take better equipment out of your storage or call for backup. Then, camping that spot is no use because it will be somewhere in that area, but you don't really know when. So you can ask yourself "Do I tell everyone ingame or only notify my friends and hunt it down?"
    As for other planets having also a creature like this: I don't mind. But it should be very rare, like 1 or 2 for every Planet Partner.
    And having it another colourdot on your radar is a good idea. It will up the thrill of this seeing it.

Ardorj

6. anthonymorris

oooo or here’s an idea make it a mimic creature meaning itcan mimic any other creature so it could be in a mob or it could be standing alonein a field looking like a regular ava lol. But it would show up on the radar asa white dot not a green one.

7. ruskea

ruskea Member

ive thought this same thing before.. but the way that it wouldnt be too hard to kill.. ("easily" soloable) but very rare.. maybe always global+ size loot... not even rare loot is required.. just quaranteed global for example.. and ofc there could be different lvl of these mobs most of em suited for medium lvl players but some for ubers

8. anthonymorris

no no dont spoil it make it rare but killable by a noob too with a tt weapon. not rare and something that will not allow everyone a fair shake lol. keep it like an elusive thing not a ONLY the mid to upper players can do it.

9. Spike Black

Spike Black Active Member

The definition of a mid to high level player has changed a lot since I joined seven years ago. What's mid level this year could end up being newbie next year ;) either through new equipment or skill level changes.

Just give different levels like mutated versions of mobs with a mutated mission chain. They don't need to be a big loot mob, last thing we need a people complaining they only looted 10pec or blazers after spending a week looking for one, give the reward in the mission chain that way players stay on planet hunting them rather than finding one and then leaving.

Keep the spawns rare and wide spread, (I suggested something like this for MM a few years ago). That way it's something that can't just be run through in a couple of days camping.

But as AnthonyMorris has said we need people of all levels to stay on planet above all else and cutting out the newbies just because they're newbies isn't a good idea as they just decamp to Calypso (which it appears some are telling them to do once they arrive). Arkadia is supposed to be a new planet for new players not Calypso expats.

We've already got wave events for the mid to higher level players.

10. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

It's funny how different our definitions of "big" mob and "mid level player" can be. When I first arrived Ark, hadraada young were big and mid level players were those who could kill them solo. Now I can kill all the mobs on Ark easily (well, at least the younger maturities) and I don't even think of my self as a mid level player yet. And since players keep on skilling, I suppose by the time I would have been a mid level player, mid level will have risen to 100 weapon and 300 hp, and I'll forever be a noob.

Missions for rare mobs would be a good idea... tho I'd also love the idea of instant global, I wouldn't expect MA would go for it because of the balancing and security issues.

11. anthonymorris

I agree player lvls have changed but im speaking for thenoob who just got his weapon and all. now the spawning of the mystry monsterwould and should be by the place it spawned like if it spawned in a field ofKorwil there would not be a noob there so no worries. I think it should havethe lvl of the mob it spawns close to like if it spawned by a Korwil it wouldbe just as powerful as a Korwil if it spawned by a carbok it would have thestats of the carabok. And the loot should be the same to keep it simple like aarmor piece, weapon, or a special item of some sort. Could you imagine howmotivated the players even the noobs would be to get a global in the carabokfield? They would run and tell all their friends about how they were doing theregular sweating and then killing and all of a sudden POW global with a nicepiece of armor, weapon or what even it was.

12. Few Scars

Few Scars Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Arkadia Adviser

I think an extremely rare creature which carries extremely rare loot would be a brilliant idea!