1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please: trying to to post formated info

Discussion in 'About Arkadia Forums' started by KikkiJikki, Dec 14, 2011.

1. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I'm trying to set up a post that has data formated in the form of a table. Not having a lot of luck using the CODE and HTML tags (see my efforts in the Testing section of the forum).

Any tips would be much appreciated.

2. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

At the moment the option to create tables is not available. The reason is because tables require multiple elements (<table>, <tr>, <td>) and if used improperly tends to break styles and generally makes a mess of things.

Additionally, table objects have other elements such as width and padding etc, adding more to the confusion... so updating a table is actually very time consuming, and with a wall of text is not fun at all...

There is no quick solution to it which is easy for everybody to use, not just for those who are familiar with HTML.

I would suggest linking to an image hosted on a server which YOU control. For example:

[noparse][​IMG][/noparse]

Each time you need to update the information you just replace the image on your server.

3. KikkiJikki

With respect thats kind of sucky.

I don't really want to link my real life identity to this avatar just yet, and links to external sites will probably do that one way or the other.

Thinks...

4. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

It isn't very convenient to have to use an image, but overall, I could see how it might be less work than having to edit an html table. You can also just host it here on the forum; I believe Van's suggestion of using an outside server was just to make the process of updating your thread more automatic.

Instead of an image, you could also use a PDF, but I don't know if it displays in the forum or if you have to download it manually. Like this:

View attachment 3054

Edit: on my computer, when I click the link above, the file automatically downloads and opens outside the browser. So an image has the benefit of being displayed inside the forum, but might be troublesome if you have a lot of items in your table.

5. malasuerte

malasuerte Active Member

In entropiaforum I used dots with the same color as the background (making them invisible) to create some kind of table format.

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/f...vent-Z-Games&p=1858630&viewfull=1#post1858630

Now they are visible because the forum changed but it would be a matter of changing the dots color to WHITE.

Example:

First you write it and space it as you need, remember that double spaces or bigger are reduced to single spaces, so use dots instead. Also use a font like courier news (fixed size characters) to make things look more organized.

.............. SELLING RESOURCES

ITEMS ............ TT .......... MU
    Oil ............ 89.99 ........ 104%
    Lyst .......... 103.23 ........ 110%
    Caldo .......... 47.87 ........ 125%

Then you color the dots the closest to the background of the forum as possible. In this case navy.

.............. SELLING RESOURCES

ITEMS ............ TT .......... MU
    Oil ............ 89.99 ........ 104%
    Lyst .......... 103.23 ........ 110%
    Caldo .......... 47.87 ........ 125%

To save time if you need to add lines just copy and paste old ones and replace the data.

Also when you want to edit your table is easier to hide the editing codes from the text, so use the Switch editor mode button.
    View attachment 3055

• Like Like x 1
  6. KikkiJikki

Ooh I like this work around...

I know some people have differant backgrounds so they might see the dots but I could live with that.

7. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

Great workaround! Also very easy to change. Maybe an underscore _ would help if you have decimal points in your values :)

8. Xandra

Xandra Active Member Pro Users

Hi,

linking back to your test thread, dunno if my idea helps ...

Have fun!

9. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Don't most people use the white background?