1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GMC Mining Research Notes 1 - Overmining

Discussion in 'Mining' started by Neil, May 8, 2013.

1. thelegend77

thelegend77 Member

I was thinking bout this experiemnt. and then i figured out personal loot pool cant be measured in mining in that case. Becoz u can hit zero constantly if u just trail behind another miner. no 90% return even after rolling thousands of peds

2. narfi

narfi Active Member Pro Users

'IF' that worked, and 'IF' we have personal loot pools, then you could stack up hofs/aths for yourself through careful abuse.
    This gets you into event theory and how some high end players may or may not use systems like this to their advantage in events both hunting and mining. (I don't have the balls to truly test it)

3. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

There is no personal loot pool, unless MA is lying. And if you think MA lies then it doesn't make sense to play at all.

4. thelegend77

thelegend77 Member

hahaha, means there's a chance to profit in this game? ^^

5. narfi

Well, we are talking about theory, and I don't believe MA lies, but I also don't think they tell us all the truth either :D
    How many ways has the Bible been interpreted? How many ways have we interpreted things that MA officials have said?

6. thelegend77

thelegend77 Member

i like ur thinking ;D haha

7. KikkiJikki

from http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/f...Developer-Notes-2&highlight=developer-notes-2

"Personal Lootpools - Many of the theories which suggest - inaccurately - that efficiency is unimportant will often employ the concept of a “personal lootpool”, claiming that the “system” will eventually provide a sort of compensation to avatars who have been operating in an inefficient manner. Such theories are very much misguided. There is no such thing as a “personal lootpool” for individual avatars, and there is no system in place which tracks each avatar’s returns over time, or which provides compensation to individual avatars. As a result, long-term results in Entropia Universe are directly related to the choices made by each participant, and those who approach their chosen profession in an efficient manner will find more success than those who do not. Overall this is a very positive thing and an important part of the Entropia virtual universe concept, as it allows those participants who spend the time and effort to approach their activities within Entropia Universe in a smart way to improve their chances of becoming successful, just like in the real world."

How can you reasonably interpret "There is no such thing as a personal loot pool" to mean "There is such a thing as a personal loot pool?

8. narfi

Because I have an open mind, and because you are only quoting what is convenient to fall within what you want it to say.
    They did not say "There is no such thing as a personal loot pool"
    They did say "There is no such thing as a “personal lootpool” for individual avatars, and there is no system in place which tracks each avatar’s returns over time, or which provides compensation to individual avatars." (assuming your quote is correct, I didn't look it up)

'Over time' and 'compensation' can each be interpreted differently depending on how you want to read it.

I am not arguing with you so much as pointing out that it is not necessarily as clear as you think it may be.
    I think a wise player takes the possibility of both sides of the coin being possible and makes sure that their strategies allow for the worst in any situation.

If you are prepared for the worst (example: I expected to lose my shirt ampd mining 8coins after being told on the forums here that the markup wasn't there, but after finding that the markup was there and continued even got my first tower) then when anything better than the worst happens, it is a bonus for you.

hopefully that makes sense,

narfi

9. KikkiJikki

I wrote a short section of the quote cos it was less effort than writing a larger section. Not for the purpose of twisting the meaning. The exact meanings of "over time" and "compensation" are not relevant to the question of whether personal loot pools are a feature of the game mechanics. And I struggle to to see how a personal loot pool, if it existed, would be for anything other than an individual avatar. So while I agree there is scope to interpret information received from MA, I argue that the issue of "Personal Loot Pool - Yes/No" is quite clear cut the and only question is whether you believe MA.

What you do with that information is another thing all together. I have my own loot theory which may or may not be correct but it at least takes into account the information provided re loot pools, efficiency etc. Many players seem to ignore or mis-interpret the information we have because it doesn't fit with what they would like to believe.

Regards,
    KikkiJikki

10. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Yes, that quote can be interpreted to mean that personal loot pools exist and a player needs to lose to win, and I'm sure there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to back up the theory. But to interpret it that way you have to believe deep in your heart that you know how loot works and believe that Mindark is just trying to deceive us all, or get some "secret" message out to the select few who can detect it, that what they really mean is the opposite of what the words said. So, when they say "such theories are very much misguided", that's only to confuse people. :D There are many people who think like this, not just in game but IRL as well.

11. narfi

You were supposed to end that post with the picture of the weirdie and his cat wearing tinfoil hats.