1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get help from the Community

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by True Juan, Jan 12, 2011.

1. True Juan

True Juan Member

Why not have the community help you guys out?

Designs of

-buildings
    -mobs
    -vehicles
    -weapons
    -armors
    -clothes
    etc. etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure there are people out there that would love to help out and be a part of your creation. Some people would do it for free, some for a small prize. Hold contests for these kinds of this :)

Just a thing u guys should think about :)

TJ

2. M Rufen Power

M Rufen Power Member

I honestly doubt they would need any help from us, they are already doing great things not found on calypso or elsewhere. Some of the things you listed also are dependant on other things. You cannot design an armour without first knowing your advesary ie mob you will be hunting with it to know what kind of stats it will have. But I guess general design concepts would be the way to do, I'll try do some stuff in paint and post :p if it helps.

3. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

I like the idea of contsts for adding things. For now tho I am sure there are enough ideas and enough people with actual tallent working for Arkadia there is no need for this all just yet. Id like to see what comes out the door on opening day and enjoy that for a while without cluttering the world with too much "Bling"

The crap FPC is pulling of tossing everything imaginable into their world just turned it into a digital dump. Sometimes less is just enough. Id like unique on Arkadia far more then abundant. PE did good untill the powers to be decided that it neeed to copy EVERY MMO out their and have all their niche markets all in one place. Now its just like a cyber Walmart with Isles and isles of junk (Like my play on words).

4. Larkin

Larkin Platinum Member Staff Member PAF Senior Mod Platinum Member

I agree with some things that all of you have said. Arkadia Studios has already allowed us to be way more involved with their planet than any other planet partner.

I would leave some things to the professionals though; that's what they are paid for ;)

The main thing that Arkadia Studios should do, and is already doing well is to keep us involved by asking for our input on the forums, and to keep us intrigued about the planet and its storyline (again, both are already being done very well). It would be neat to hold a few contests to create a mob or design a weapon; however this is probably hard as of this moment as we don't know the complete storyline and influences behind Planet Arkadia yet. Since we don't know everything, our submissions might not fit the story or "feel" of the planet. Perhaps when the planet is opened and we are allowed to explore, then we would be able to create better submissions that are based more closely on the theme of Planet Arkadia.

5. RAZER

RAZER Active Member Pro Users

Pretty sure they don't need our help, but it would be a cool opportunity for us to participate in the planet. I'm pretty sure there are people out there that would think it is very cool to have your shirt, or weapon or building on the planet. This however should be a serious competition, like the ones that exist in the architectural world. Arkadia gives us a specific set of wishes and rules for us to create the item and we stick to them, if we do not we will not win. Then from all the entrees that do stick to the rules and wishes they pick a winner.

For a building this would mean we need info like max. footprint, max. length and width, max. height, pictures to reference the style the building needs to be in, the purpose of the building (ship hanger is different then apartments), what stuff needs to be in the building (stairs, televator, shops, theater, apartments, museum, etc.).

IF they do it like that, it could be very cool and give the more serious ideas a better chance of winning and Arkadia end up with exactly what they want.

6. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Banned

As mentioned by many they don't really need our input.

I'd go one step further a competition like that will actually be a distraction for them and slow down their progress because such art will need to be considered for the arkadia theme and style, not to mention the time taken to sift through the entries (e.g. like razer mentioned pics etc to go with your ideas/inspiration while being good for us will add a huge burden to process for arkadia), then there's the question of suitable prize(s) which may have to be thought about, modelled and put into game...

The logistics of holding such a competition can be quite involved and if they make a mistake it will go down real bad ...

7. True Juan

True Juan Member

Well Im not saying that they NEED help, Im just saying they can get some cool ideas from people. More ideas means more thought can be put in it.

Im not saying that they dont have good ideas, I love the things they showed us so far, but there might be some people with ideas that they can use :)

8. RAZER

RAZER Active Member Pro Users

well of course let them finish the planet first and get it up and running for a while. But after a bit a competition like this could be fun (I know I would like to design a building for them).

9. Wistrel

Wistrel Member

I'd like to have a shot at designing clothes but I suspect there is an issue with clothes.

ie if someone came up with a cool design, MA would say it was much better than their existing designs and would damage the market.

If you think I am being cynical/ too harsh imagine I just suggested my design be a kind of looted clothing that happens to have black, white and red colours.

See..? never gonna happen.

Seems daft really though. I mean, I'm not entirely sure what our "role" on Arkadia will be but taking a stab based on what I read of the story so far (I'm a little behind on chapter 2), new arrivals will either be military, science or engineering/mining. Realistically coming from one of those backgrounds I would expect to arrive on the planet wearing something like this:

Science: Lab coat, + plain generic clothes.
    Military: Combat camo gear, utility belt, helmet or some sort of uniform
    Mining/Engineer: Outdoor survival clothes, lots of pockets etc. Maybe boiler suit something like this

However I fully expect orange jumpsuit for everyone with no explanation or reason other than that MA say so...

Ok I guess I'm coming over a tad negative. I guess its just starting to really bug me how much the restrictiveness of the RCE harms gameplay, immersion and development.

Wistrel

10. mastermesh

mastermesh Active Member

Always thought it'd be cool if every type of clothing had the ratty ol look like the OJs do when you first start as they decay. Ripped jeans IRL are a fashion statement.

11. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

They do.
    Not torn or anything just washed out and faded.

All these types of things have to be symmetrical so a tear on one leg would be the same on both legs so it would still look a little 'tailored' and not just worn out.

The jeans get a sort of acid wash look to them when the TT goes down.