1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flooding in Austrailia

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cyborg Bill, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Hey been seeing alot about this in the news up here recently. From what I read it doesnt look to be getting better all to quickly. I am hoping that people are doin OK down there.

Anyway I just wanted to say I been thinkng about you guys down there and hope you are not in the problem areas. If you are in those areas I hope you are fairing OK through out this problem and that your loses are at a minimum specially when it comes to friends and family there.

Not much I can do to help make things better but I wanted to say that I am thinking about the people there going through this as it seems to be close to the scale that Katrina was for us in the US.

Best wishes and good luck to any who might be effected by this.

2. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

it is indeed a nasty situation. Some of these same areas were ironically crying out for water only a couple of short years ago. There are areas that are now getting a good dose of water, like the Murray/Darling river systems that they were desperately needing it and others, like down here in Perth and the Western Wheatbelt areas that are still crying out for water....shame no one ever thought to put a pipeline in....;)

3. Cyborg Bill

I dont know Ewok.. Just read an article today stating the north pole has been moving 40 miles twords Russia each year now. If that is the case you will be moving to become more equadorial. Id change that piepline idea to resivoirs and retension while there is access to excess.

4. Cyborg Bill

Holy Crap!!!
    Are you guys down there safe anywhere at this point? I just saw the news of the flash flooding near / in Brisbane..

Man I hope to hell none of you got hit with that.

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Well-Known Member

Yeah Bill, saw the flash floods as well. Its devastating. I do hope it'll pass through soon and when it does, there'll be minimal human casualties...

Take care you guys!

6. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

For those of you who would like to see some of the damage, this video illustrates it nicely... it's pretty bad, but I'm amazed at the absolute power of large volumes of water...
    [video=youtube;kYUpkPTcqPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY[/video]

7. Snape

Yep we're ok, its happening 4000miles away from us on the eastern side of the country. Poor buggers :( last i heard there were 8 confirmed dead in Toowoomba and 72 still missing....the power of that water is truly shattering, saw it throwing a Semi around like a rubber duck in a bathtub.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lee DeLioncourt

Lee DeLioncourt Arkadian Outrider Platinum Member

It is a nightmare, my thoughts are with all of those in Queensland or who have friends and family there as it is to get worse tonight it seems.

9. warpath

warpath Member

10. Cyborg Bill

Man what a crazy mess. What did you guys do to piss off Mother Nature like that?

Anyway not to make light of a bad situatuion but that before and after reminds me of Sim City. Hopefuly some of the officials have played that as it is a good base to understand recovery from things like this. The clean up, environmental, population and economy aspects are programmed to be pretty realistic to how these things actually work on large scale. I really believe that knowledge of that games modeling could help speed recovery.

Hopefully all the rain causeing this mess will suside soon and let that clean up / healing begin.

11. Snape

Lost the Ashes to the Poms ;)

Apparently its some El Something'o weather effect...kinda like the reverse of El'Nino if i understand the report i heard correctly.

12. Cyborg Bill

The two effects you speak of are El Nino and LA Nino. Currently I believe you are seeing LA Nino.

Its all forigen to me. 8=}}

13. Cyborg Bill

Not to drag up a quiet post but....
    Shit now you guys are gonna take a whack from a major Cyclone as well as the floods.

I might have to rethink my want to move there for the warm dry climate should I win the lottery.. Im all for being warm but not like that.

14. Cyrus

Cyrus Well-Known Member

Yes Bill, extremely unfortunate. Cyclone Yasi has been upgraded to grade 5. :( Might be the same size as Katrina.

Just hope the folks who didn't manage to evacuate will be safe.

15. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator

View attachment 370

This thing is EPIC. I really hope everyone in Queensland pull through this. Loss of property/assets is going to be huge, I just hope the loss of lives will be zero.

16. Snape

Come over to us in the West mate its pretty safe down in Perth.

17. David | Arkadia

David | Arkadia Administrator Staff Member PAF Administrator Planet Arkadia Official

Looking at that map, those clouds are about 2000km across. I've never seen anything like that near Australia. That cyclone is ten times the size of Cyclone Tracy that devastated Darwin in 1974. To put it in perspective of size, the cyclone will cover most of the state of Queensland, and all of western Europe fits within Queensland.

My thoughts are with the people in the path and I echo what Niko said I do hope everyone stays safe.

18. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Forum Official Pro Users

It looks roughly the same size as Hurricane Katrina to me, just judging from the pics. I'm just glad they've got good communication and people should have had enough time to evacuate. Good luck Queensland!

19. Jod

Jod Well-Known Member

I just had to share this....

For the irony....
    For the playing....
    For the girl.....:p

[video=youtube;tkptcx7KO6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkptcx7KO6Q[/video]

20. KillerDawg

KillerDawg Active Member Pro Users

Pretty impressive, and I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing. :cool: