1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook on/and the Clientloader.

Discussion in 'General Media Discussion' started by May, Jun 23, 2014.

1. May

May Active Member

Lately, the first post in the Highlights tab from the ClientLoader, showed the description to the AUD in the Underground.
    Which was a very handy way to provide useful information like that.

Today I opened the CL, and the top post was: "IFN RED ALERT THIS WEEKEND".
    "Yay", was my reaction: another Oratan Attack this weekend.
    But on closer inspection, this turned out to be about the event of 14 February... doh: fell for it. View attachment 9645
    The Facebook plugin is now prominently shown on the CL, but it gives a dated impression.
    E.g. the second post is from 12 November 2013.

Is this a permanent change? Or did it get turned on by mistake?
    And if it is here to stay: will the Facebook page be updated more frequently?

I understand that after Cyrus left, not all his functions were filled in.
    And personally I don't 'do' Facebook, so no love lost there.
    But I can imagine that to non-colonists, it gives the impression that there is very little activity on this planet.

So about FB: any thoughts, fellow Arkadians?
    Do you (dis)like having FB on the front-page of the CL?
    Or do you (not) mind/care what is shown? (On both the CL and FB.)

2. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Active Member

I am not a fan of having FB on the loader, but if it is going to stay, it needs to be updated daily, or at a minimum weekly. Social media is an up-to-the minute medium. If your product/page is only updating monthly, it says: don't bother, we don't care either.

3. Medeina

Medeina Member

No love or use for Facebook, I have. That or otherwise, though, it does need to be updated at least weekly, even just to say All is well today. Veteran IFN personnel have been practicing combat maneuvers with recruits at Steadfast Firebase Academy.

4. Chris | Arkadia

Chris | Arkadia Arkadia Tech PAF Administrator Planet Arkadia Official

Hi Guys

The Facebook page will be updated in time to get back inline with our release notes.
    Due to some recent technical difficulties that broke our client loader feed we decided to change over to Facebook for simplicity in keeping the community informed about news / events and updates. Having Facebook connected to the client loader drastically simplifies updating the client loader compared to the old way and will allow us to improve the frequency of communications.

Regards,
    Chris

5. Dan59

Dan59 Active Member

Maybe to edit drivers/etc/hosts file?

6. SallyBridges

SallyBridges Adviser Arkadia Adviser

Facebook / Linked In / You Tube are Good additional areas to promote to the non Entropia User Base,
    and if updated and used then can be additional marketing for the planet also allows possibilities of
    future side games ( Cuddle Kadras ) as a FB app ;) .

I can understand the reasons for having a facebook page with the client loader for easy update and think
    that when this is updated this will be pretty good. You also never know If the emissary program or similar
    might come back. ( the only anooying thing for me is the facebook likes ) as I like to switch off when i go in to
    Entropia Universe.

I like the CLient loader to be up to date and so with the FB page coming up oratan attacks and event should
    show up easier - its also easier for the Devs to post on facebook than have to hack html / php or whatever to do the
    client loader updates - if this saves them time to develop toys and cool content then ;) YAY ;) ;)

I would hope that the FB account has some nice posts in the coming days to get rid of the old content shown.

But then its VU UPdate day and so we will see ;) also would be nice if Dave Wants to join the community for a Birthday Celebration ;) He can be a player controlled mob and smash up around Celeste harbor again ;) ;) ;)

7. May

May Active Member

Thanks for the replies.

He he, looks like I'm not the only one who is no fan of FB.
    For for myself (in the form of a private person), it brings more irritations, than advantages.
    Because no, I don't need/want to know John just ate two cookies. And that he wished they were chocolate chip, instead of Oreos...
    Not to mention the 'privacy' part. View attachment 9669
    But for business (related) entities it can indeed be a very useful tool.

Thanks Chris, it's good to know that updates will be more regularly made.
    Going by the new posts, this might indeed be helpful to get information to persons not frequenting the forums.
    So yeah, in this shape: it seems to be a good addition to the CL. View attachment 9670

@Dan: I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you mean by that.

8. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

The hosts file can be edited so your computer will block a website or display another one in its place.

9. Lighterthief

Lighterthief Member

i dont really get facebook, im not young, hip or trendy enough!!

10. Dan59

Dan59 Active Member

Never mid, im not FB fan and it seem im forced to read pages from FB site.
    What i miss is old client with planet roster where was possible to click on each planet and see VU content or event for that planet.
    Fast and clean - no need to to browse half internet and warious forums to find basic info on changes for each planet.

11. May

May Active Member

Ah ok, I wouldn't know about host-files, as I'm useless with coding matters; but I do like to use GreaseMonkey (on FireFox).
    Though I don't know the Internet Explorer equivalent. Since I don't use IE voluntarily.

I'm too young an avatar to know any better than the planet specific ClientLoader.
    That old system of showing all the VU updates from all planets, sounds very user friendly.

But FB/social media is (unfortunately) a sign of the times.
    And it gets harder to avoid them, as they are getting integrated in every site.
    Extensions like Addblock Plus and NoScript can go some way to block unwanted parts of websites.
    Not ideal: and for select sites, I leave all the permissions on.
    But some sites are just plain unpleasant to surf, with all the bells and whistles left on.

I thought the average age in EU was high enough to do without social media.
    That's why I asked the opinion of the community: to see if I was alone in that thought.

But from a business point of view, I can understand the need to conform to market standards.
    And when kept up-to-date, I can see the usefulness of a FB plugin.
    That still doesn't mean that personally I'll actually read it: I just click straight through to the 'Support' or 'Expiring Auction' tab on the CL.
    But for others it might provide some information they normally wouldn't have found. Because they don't read the forums.
    Which, I guess, is a by-product of the de-centralisation of info/forums.
    It can indeed be very hard to explain to newcomers, why you have to visit about a dozen different sites, to get all the new update information.
    So at least this might help in a small way to provide that information, even if it's only for one planet.

12. SallyBridges

SallyBridges Adviser Arkadia Adviser

Isn't there a Huge untapped market then that needs enticing to come in to Planet Arkadia / Entroopia Universe.

You might like to look at futuristic planners Virtual Worlds are now pretty normal and they reccon in 5 years Facebook or Social media equivelent will be normal.

also A Lot of the Older Generation utilize social Media

13. jo aloisius smith

jo aloisius smith Member

Maybe to edit drivers/etc/hosts file?

Any idea how to do this - I want to block facebook at the expense of missing ark news - and rock too for that matter.

14. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

edit C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Add a line similar to

127.0.0.1 facebook.com (don't prefix the line with a # as that is the comment character)

or you could use the ip address for some other site,

If you have a fully qualified dns name in the file, then it will use that ip address instead of going to your dns server.

But personally I would do it at the firewall level.

15. jo aloisius smith

jo aloisius smith Member

Thanks KikkiJikki - I found an easier solution - I just set the programs and features area of the control panel to disable IE. So obvious and thankfully i don't have to go into the "edit C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" or mess with the firewall - gotten into lots of trouble doing that before!

edit:
    Looks like this doesn't work I'll have to try the solutions you suggest.

Edit:
    Blocking facebook stops the client loader in its tracks. This is really starting to PISS ME OFF!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017