1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloading problem

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Slod, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slod

Slod Member

Hello. I've decided to try Entropia Universe on Calypso or Arkadia. I thought the downloading would be a simple download of Client Loader and it'll do all the stuff. Well, after it downloaded some files I could Launch EU, but what I saw inside was "Downloading Calypso". It was a 6GB file, which I though would allow me to play. It didn't though. The EU folder is over 6GB big, but the download still says 0% while the size of the download increases. The file size started increasing and now is 23GB and more. Is that what was supposed to happen? I have "Calypso" and "Calypso Gateway" selected in "Dynamic Content". Is it really that big?

2. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

no my total size is around 10GB and thats with all planets content downloaded, so try and uninstall and download again. But I guess someone else will be better at answering what to do and what happened then me, so maybe wait a bit before you try my advice :)

3. Slod

Slod Member

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, even on other PC. I can download again, because it doesn't even want to download. It downloads a little and then just increases the size.

4. unicorn

unicorn Active Member Pro Users

Hi, are you useing Windows Vista? Or Other Version?

Are you useing Network component like Router to Dial in to Internet?

Dhcp or Static ip adresses in your Network?

5. Slod

Slod Member

I'm using Windows 7, a router and my IP address is static.

6. unicorn

Hi, are the Ports in your Router already forwarded?

For eu in Addition to 20,21,80 are following Important:
    30584 (UDP inbound/outbound)
    30583 (TCP Outbound)
    554 (TCP Inbound)

7. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, router+wireless router acting as hub/access point, ADSL (3Mbps) and my total content size is 8.58 GB. Admittedly, I've not downloaded Next Island for a few months, but the client loader only says an additional 358.25 MB for Greece and 469.17 MB for Next Island itself, coming to 827.42 MB extra. Still puts me at less than 10 GB total.

I'd say let it go. It's probably counting something twice or something. I'm not sure.

But regardless, network settings are going to have almost zero effect on download size. It's not the server looking at your IP that determines what you get or how big it is. It's the client loader checking the sizes of the files it has to download and then downloading accordingly.

Go into the client loader and go to Tools>Dynamic Content and uncheck everything but the planet you want to start on. You can always download another planet later if you choose. Then just let it go. I suspect a mathematical miscalculation in the loader somewhere.

You don't have to forward any ports (I don't).

8. unicorn

I had Super slow Connection and had to make that.

Im not at home can Someone Post a Screenshot of the clientloader options please?

9. unicorn

Have you any success yet Slod?

I have seen the client loader has a option "Download thread count"

[​IMG]

If theres a problem with some counting on the client maybe try to set it to 1 like in the picture above.

We get you in here yes Slod? yes yes

10. Slod

Slod Member

Yes, I've tried that. Doesn't work. What is more, I've formatted my PC, installed Windows 7 and that didn't even work. Now I can't even reach the logging screen as the download in the client loader grows bigger. Also, ports are enabled.

11. unicorn

0.o

have you tried to set the connection speed in the game client to slowest option?

12. Slod

Slod Member

That changes nothing as it does not affect the downloading speed in any way.

13. unicorn

weird.

have you any access to logs from your router to check the connection stats there?

it be interesting if you can see that a connection is terminated. maybe the server has a problem with resumeing and loads over and over.

eg. you load for 20 minutes but connection brake and the server loads not resumeing but from the beginning all over again.

is your router running FTP passive mode?

14. Slod

Slod Member

After a long time of not downloading, it's now downloading Planet Arkadia, but when I press Launch and log in, it says "Downloading Calypso". Also, I have no idea how to check if my router is running FTP passive mode or stats. I have TP-Link WR340G router, if that gives you any clues. Also, even though I have only Arkadia choosen to download, it says 2% completion of every file in the Dynamic Content.

15. unicorn

16. Slod

Slod Member

Right now, I left it to download the 4.712GB file of Arkadia in the Client Launcher, maybe something will change this time. The router is TP-Link WR340G Ver 3.1. Hardware version is V3.

17. unicorn

ok nice. keep it running =)

when was the last time you did a firmware update in your router?
    i see that there was a firmware on 8/25/2010 that fixed disconnection problems on pppoe mode.

have you had any other problems with other games maybe?

it can be the router disconnects from time to time. and when you just browse the web you maybe dont notice as the router is back online before you change a website or even dont recognize.

i look at the router manual now if we have a logfunction in the router we can use to check if connection is terminated.

18. Slod

Slod Member

It does happen from time to time that that a site won't load so I have to refresh to make it work. Other games? No, but I have been having problems with download though. At times the downloading speed drops to 0.

19. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

Again: Ports do not need to be forwarded. Forwarded ports are only required for servers behind a firewall/router. The client loader downloads via port 80 (HTTP rather than FTP) on the remote server.

View attachment 3776

If you look at this screenshot, the local port isn't anything close to 80. That's because local port does not matter.

I took this screenshot while letting the Client Loader download 60 MB of Hunt of the THING. I'll add that I DO have port 80 forwarded (ports 21, 20, and 22, as well), but NOT to this computer -- to my web server on the same network. Forwarded ports do absolutely ZIP except allowing unknown parties into your computer on ports that aren't monitored.

So stop trying to fix a download by forwarding ports. It doesn't do squat.

Just a note: My field is IT and I've been working with networks and ports for 10 years.

Also: Here's that page in the client loader for me:

View attachment 3777

20. Slod

Slod Member

Dear sir, I haven't even tried to do that because, as far as I know, I have no right to do that, only my ISP provider can, which is convenient for me, as I know nothing about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.