1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decay on Herman LAW-202 Desert and Arctic?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by endy, Mar 4, 2012.

1. endy

endy Active Member Pro Users

Does anyone have numbers?

2. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

3. endy

This is unconfirmed data, that's why I'm asking.

4. rick_janson

It's only unconfirmed because a moderator hasn't set it as confirmed. But feel free to test it and see.

5. endy

Well, I did a small decay test, Herman LAW-202 vs Isis LR32.

Herman shows decay around 2.1 pec, Isis 3.1 pec, but since Isis use 1300 ammo per shot and Herman 1410 to produce the same amount of damage, you gain one pec of decay and lose one pec of bullets.

Considering low MU on Isis and way higher on Herman, I don't see how Herman is better, gotta stick to Isis :(

6. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Hi,
    I'm assuming you are talking about the law-202 D,given the decay you quote plus it has around the same dps as the lr32.

I have to agree that at current MU lr32 (L) is more eco. Assuming 106% MU for the LR32, dpp is 2.813. MU of 118% for the law-202 D gives dpp of 2.798. MU of either would need to change by around 4% for them to have similar dpp values.

7. endy

Well, it doesn't work exactly like that, since every mob requires certain number of shots to kill, the difference between killing a mob with Isis and Herman ammo-wise will be measured in multiples of 110 ammo, these multiples will or will not stack up to an additional shot. Measuring it down to fractions of a percent doesn't make much sense. It's like you solving a problem and the answer is 2.345 people, it's gonna be either 2 or 3, not a fraction.

But the point is, Herman 202 series are not better than older weapons.

8. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

What an interesting answer. Nothing is ever simple is it?

Its pretty pointless to measure the cost to kill one mob. Can we agree that a smart hunter would most likely also carry a finisher to prevent overkill? Given the similarity in dps, dpp becomes a useful metric for evaluating the cost to kill mobs in an extended hunt. If MU on the two weapons were the same then the law-202 d would be the more eco weapon but its MU is considerably higher so it loses that advantage.

I guess we agree on the final answer but not the reasons for it.

Regards,
    KikkiJiki

• Like Like x 1
  9. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Ofc MU has a lot to do with actual dmg/pec, as you say. Even the best gun is a bad choice if the MU is too high. Same with overkill on small mobs. However, I don't put too much stock in the numbers you are using, which are the theoretical dmg/pec based on the stats.

I like to make a more realistic analysis and compare how the guns actually perform in my hands (with my skills and attachments in combination with the random number generator that determines how much dmg is dealt per shot, including misses).

I do this by finding a big hp mob that I can hunt without too much healing and firing off at least several hundred shots (the overkill shot is the price of research, and one reason why I try to find a mob that takes a lot of shots to kill). Then using a find-and-replace text editor*, I extract the long list of dmgs and paste them into an excel file that automatically calculates dmg/pec and a 95% confidence interval using the dmg from the test as well as the values for gun decay, attachment decay, and the MUs of the various items. I will often go back and gather more data if I want to tighten the 95% CI.

This will allow you see whether a particular attachment really helps or hurts your efficiency. I like to watch how my actual dmg/pec for any given gun goes up over time as my skills increase. And if you like to use old-school weapons, seeing the actual numbers can motivate you to use SIB guns until you're uber.

The other point Endy brought up is very true... on maxed SIB guns there is often a barely discernible difference in efficiency. If one setup makes you do 20% overkill, it's almost certainly less efficient than the one that only does 2% overkill. But until you look at the actual numbers, you don't really know.

*edit: I've finally tried the combat log feature of entropia tracker and it's much more convenient than my manual method. It does allow you to copy and paste the whole data list (you have to manually add the right number of 0's for the misses) if you want to calculate the variance. But calculating the variance isn't all that important for everyday use because you can see the stats changing as you go. Once they stabilize to where they aren't thrown off much by crits or misses (about a thousand shots in the case of the cap-303 I tested today) then you know you've got enough data for a good assessment.

10. rick_janson

On the note of the LAW-202 D, all points made are important considerations. However, even with the higher MU I think (I'll have to look again to be sure) the LR32 is still more expensive. The LAW has 50 (or so) PED less TT than the LR32, BUT has an almost 1000 uses MORE than the LR32 while inflicting a couple extra points of damage. So there's a lot to factor in. And I would personally rather opt for more shots and even slightly more damage for a little bit cheaper gun, even if the ammo use cost offsets the decay.

So, in that respect, by personal preference, the LAW actually is better than the LR32.

EDIT: Just checked and even KJ is selling the LAW-202 D for just over 200 PED vs. the 220 TT value on the LR32 (at 105-107%, it's 231-235 PED). So it's actually cheaper to use the LAW-202 D if I'm reading the numbers right...

Endy figured 2.1 PEC decay vs. 3.1 PEC decay. That's essentially what Entropedia shows. Therefore:

Uses/per minute:
    LAW-202 D: 7663/37
    Isis LR32: 6842/37

Decay:
    LAW: 2.152
    LR32: 3.119

DPP (from Entropedia)/DPS:
    LAW-202 D: 2.860/41.3
    Isis LR32: 2.841/40.7

Ammo Burn:
    LAW-202 D: 1410
    Isis LR32: 1300

Damage:
    LAW: 67
    LR32: 66

Recommended Level:
    LAW: 15
    LR32: 16

Range:
    LAW: 65
    LR32: 60.5

Cost:
    LAW: 16.252
    LR32: 16.119

Is there a difference? Yes. Is it big enough to bother with? Personally, I don't think so. To me it looks like both guns are virtually identical in every meaningful way. The LAW has more range, lower level, more uses, and lower TT. Looks like a no-brainer to me.

• Like Like x 1