1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Days and nights

Discussion in 'Geography' started by Supertramp, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Supertramp

Supertramp New User

When I landed on Arkadia two weeks ago, I was surprised to see that the days were much longer than on Calypso, where the day-and-night cycles are just 2 hours long.

So I decided to study the local sun, as I don't like to hunt when it's night. :)

Here is the result of the study:
    - On Arkadia, the day-and-night cycles are exactly 9 hours long.
    - Because 24h can't be divided by 9h, the cycles don't start at same time everyday.
    - It takes 3 days and 8 cycles to retrieve the same hours (8 x 9h = 72h = 3 x 24h).
    - The sun appears on NE corner and disappears on SW corner. (+/- 2°)
    - On a given position, the sun is visible during 7h35, and unvisible during 1h25.
    - After the sun disappears, there are still reflects on armor & water, and shadows during 20 minutes.
    - When the sun reappears, the reflects on water & armors come first, then then shadows (very hard to notice), and finally the real colors start to replace the grey levels very slowly, depending on the landscape.

Arkadia days and nights (*):
    Code:
    Sunshine     Day         Sunset       Night
    -------------------------------------------
    00:05        7h35        07:40        1h25
    09:05        7h35        16:40        1h25
    18:05        7h35        01:40        1h25
    03:05        7h35        10:40        1h25
    12:05        7h35        19:40        1h25
    21:05        7h35        04:40        1h25
    06:05        7h35        13:40        1h25
    15:05        7h35        22:40        1h25

* Notes:
    - The times are in MA times. They are based on a central position.
    - If you are on east servers, these cycles will appear up to 25 min earlier.
    - If you are on west servers, these cycles will appear up to 25 min later.

Other observations:
    - There is a 50 min gap between the NE corner (32777 x 32777) and the SW corner (8183 x 8133), meaning that when the sun appears on NE corner at time T, it appears on SW corner at time T + 50 min. Observations performed at altitude 1000 m to avoid the moutains and fog issues.
    - It means that during 35 min it's impossible to see the sun anywhere on the planet (1h25 - 50 min).
    - I tried to study the position of the sun in the sky at a given moment and found irregularities: it seems the sun has same position in the 3 right servers, another position for the 3 central servers and a third position for the 3 left servers. Desopte trying to teleport quickly, my observations my be incorrect. Maybe a team of 9 people reporting the sun position at an exact same moment would be the solution...

• Like Like x 3
  2. Medeina

Medeina Member

Those are some pretty neat observations, Supertramp. I knew the day/night cycles extended for some time, but not for a full nine hours. Great work.

3. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Thanks for the info! I've been meaning to research this but never got around to it. Personally i wish nighttime lasted a little longer because it's hard for LBML to scan claims in the arctic (background it too light). But overall, i think the A-team has found a good balance with the current day/night cycle and darkness level.

4. Ryloth

Ryloth Member

I love it, my inner nerd was glued to your stats! Good work, and thanks for sharing! I was very curious in how the cycle worked, as I also prefer to avoid hunting at night. :)

5. SallyBridges

SallyBridges Adviser Arkadia Adviser

Great Work and Very interesting ;) Well Done

6. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I think they said they changed the cycle times since this thread was started.

7. atomicstorm

atomicstorm Platinum Member Platinum Member

8. Snape

Snape Master of the BanHammer Staff Member PAF Administrator

Yes, I was thinking this myself....BAD RYLOTH!! :mad:

9. Ryloth

Ryloth Member

I am shamed and will stay in my cave. :p