1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damage vs. To Hit Skilling

Discussion in 'Skills' started by ArchAngel, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Active Member

I have noticed that in every weapon I am skilling in whether it be a BLP rifle or a Cryogenic Attack Chip that there is a far bigger increase in the skill level of damage as opposed/coupled to To Hit.

My question is why? And is there something that I am doing wrong that is preventing these skills from leveling up simultaneously?

I am often faced with weapons that the damage SIB=Not Anymore whereas the To Hit=Yes.

Of course you would think that the To Hit would catch up as it is still in the SIB while using a maxed Damage weapon, but I am not finding that to be the case.

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks all.

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Deactivated User

I don't know why, but with every weapon you tend to skill faster in (damage) than in (hit).

One way to keep (hit) up is by using multiple weapons. Like use both blp and laser pistols/rifles. Short and longblades, etc.

3. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I think it's because the skills involved in damage profession are a little more general, the hit skills seem to be more specific to that particular weapon. So as you do various activities they contribute more to dmg rather than hit.

4. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Active Member

Thank you for the responses. Good information. It does make sense that damage would be more general than a specific weapon's ability to hit.

5. Turisas

Turisas Member

Made you this pic to help to notice how different skills effect on profession. Good thing is that hit skills increase your hp more than dmg skills.

View attachment 8601

6. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Active Member

Thank you Turisas, it is much appreciated!

7. narfi

narfi Active Member Pro Users

Right now @ L54.5 knifefighter hit and L53.9 knifefighter dmg I am gaining 6% of a lvl hit and 4% of a lvl dmg each 1040ped cycled through my blade. So in this instance I have the opposite issue you do.

A couple of factors to consider is Unlocked skills, and cross skilling.

Unlocked skills will increase the applicable professions considerably faster when they are freshly unlocked.
    Cross skilling will increase your general skills that effect all combat professions.

In general it is my experience that HIT skills faster than DMG if you are focusing only on one thing.
    I have done alot of cross skilling though so for most of my professions are close(ish)

Cross skilling of similar type will gain faster than cross skilling something very different.

For example While hunting using Laser Pistols your Laser Sniper (HIT) will go up faster than your Swordsman (HIT) and since Laser pistols and Laser Carbines both share Ranged Laser (DMG) then it will go up just as fast as if you had been using a carbine.

8. Svarog

Svarog Member

Hmm, I always had the opposite experience. For my first 5 years or so I did use solely laser rifles, and by the time I reached lvl 50 in Laser Sniper, my Ranged Laser was only 42. After unlocking combat sense I started to use virtually everything - all kinds of laser and blp, swords and knives, MF, and all the Hit professions caught up with their corresponding Dmg ones pretty fast and surpassed them.

For instance, a couple of years ago when I didn't yet use swords, my Swordsman Dmg was ~30 (only due to the skills that are common with ranged professions) and Swordsman Hit ~15 (for the same reasons), but after playing with the greece swords it's now 44 hit and 41 dmg.