1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important! Curb The Oratan Food Supply Event (3rd Sept to 16th Oct, 2011)

Discussion in 'Company Events' started by Cyrus, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

what is that much hmmm

what about 33.200 merp/daikiba, 1600 foul, 1600 cornundacouda without a globle, thats 36.400mobs without a global...
    Got my first on rippers but cant really count those as that was on OA-Prowler fish(and no dont even bother asking location(if they still there no clue) :p)

As you might have figured out these are mission mobs from Calypso, but give you an idea of how bad luck can play out...
    And all those were done with tt fist(brawler weapon), so please get me a fresh Arkadian one soon as the one I got now is almost broken, dont know how many more times I can repair it until it falls apart for good :(

-------------------------------------​

But yeah it takes alot of small mobs to global usually unless you're lucky ;)

PS. it might sound demoralizing but I got ~90% tt back on both 10k merp and 10k daikiba so nothing really weird, but just so you know you dont need a global to do good so go for the prizes as all of them looks great!
    I have my eye on one special but I would like to have all of them :D

2. Raven Lunchbox

Raven Lunchbox Adviser Arkadia Adviser

nice event, will be extremely difficult with the wave of ubers that just arrived but still worth a try. I just hope the economy picks up. as all the loot i am getting isnt selling, cant afford to TT everything, Have had several long runs with substantial losses despite many very low globals. But on the plus side now that more people are hunting, maybe the loot will improve.

3. Xandra

Xandra Active Member Pro Users

Hi,

I kindly ask to think of a way to make such competitions different in the future. The way it's done now ("further feed the already lucky ones") seems not to be appreciated by wide parts of the participants.

I, for instance, will not participate in this event at all. Why? Because I'd never be able to compete with highly specialized hunters, and because I'd detest it to camp a special mob for a long time, knowing it's in vain anyways. Shall this game become even more of a grind fest as it is already?

Again, my proposition for future events in this way:

Drop a special, tradeable "voucher" of the mobs in question. Very rarely, but from all maturities, with the same probability. With a certain number of "vouchers" you'd be able to collect your price.

This way all would profit - the nOOb that just was lucky and looted a single voucher of a young one, as well as the seasoned hunter that looted some more, as well as the Uber-to-be that could buy, for a decent price, his reward.

Wouldn't this be benefiting the game? Have a good time!

4. starfinder

starfinder Member

So, kinda like the Alienware event?

5. Xandra

Hi,

yes, kinda.

Competitions might make sense, when made in tiers, to cater the different stages of participants.

But when, as in this case, it's about "get most globals from a mob", any competition is vastly benefiting those that can kill stalker w/o armor, and all others are left out in the rain, from the beginning.

This heavily disadvantages lower skill ppl, and will not get us more fresh blood. It's just masturbation of the few that can, and one more silver plate to them old Ubers.

IMHO. Have a good time!

6. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

This competition has 6 tiers. It's up to you which level you compete at. However I do appreciate that they all require that you camp one mob for an extended period. Six weeks is a long long time.

I enjoyed the alienware event where it was pure luck. I enjoy this event which requires perseverance and dedication. I think the best thing is to ask for variety in the events that are set up for us. That way different events will appeal to different audiences. You dont like this one? OK, perhaps the next one they run will suit you better.

Regards,
    KikkiJikki

7. starfinder

starfinder Member

So (Not to hijack this event thread) if a tool could be developed that could place people in categories based on their "level" in the game, that would be better? (Im not necessary speaking about their skill level, but it could also be which mobs they tend to hunt normally)

Using Entropia Tracker and Entropedia data I think I can come up with a "player index" fairly quickly.

Use the "Threat level" on Entropedia as the "level" - then see how many globals a participant has got for all the various "Threat levels" and index the player accordingly.

For instance, Atrox Young is thread level: 4752.. Atrox Old is 6216.. Leviathan Young is 16562 and Atrox Alpha is 22968

So each global will give you a "threat level" add all of them up and divide it by the number of globals, then you have your "kill level"...

Person 1
    Atrox young, Atrox young, Atrox young, Atrox Old, Levi Young = level 7406

Person 2
    Atrox Alpha, Atrox Alpha, Atrox Old, Atrox Young, Atrox Old = level 12624

If you have 10 categories for the event - you can then say that each 10% increase from lowest ranked (level 0) to the highest leveled person would be a category

Lets say "Star" is the top leveled person with an level of 65000, then each 6500 would be one category.
    Category 1: 0-6500
    Category 2: 6501-13000
    Category 3: 13001-19500

And so on...

Would that be a fair way to "categorize people" for such an event type - I mean, then you can not, even if you want to, go for the higher categories... ?

8. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Forum Official Pro Users

/mod hat off.

Xandra, this isn't directed at you personally. This is a general response to a lot of comments in this thread, and it's my personal opinion only.

I needed to get some context to understand the comments in this thread about the nature of the competition, so I went through the forum history and picked out the various events, offers, giveaways and competitions that have been held since November last year.

I'm not 100% certain that I've covered all such events, but it feels like a reasonable sample in any case.

Here's what I came up with.

• Top referrer for November 2011. 1,000 rep points and Gold forum membership for referring the most people to Arkadia Forum. 2nd prize 500 rep points. 3rd prize 200 rep points. 100 rep points for anyone who referred someone else.
      No globalling or uberhood required.
      No ped required!

• Launch date competition. Guess the date Arkadia launches. First prize, David Dobson's black and white clothing outfit valued at 5k ped.
      No ped required!

• Photo competition. Submit the best photos. First prize Platinum forum membership and 1,000 rep. Second prize Gold membership and 500 rep. Third prize Gold membership.
      No ped required!

• Arkadiabot Avatar. Design the best forum avatar for Arkadiabot. All submissions receive 100 rep points, winners got to see their designs in the Arkadiabot Avatar.
      No globalling or uberhood required - design skills instead required.
      No ped required!

• Alienware available in loot. Hunt or mine and you could find a piece of Alienware equipment in your loot. Prizes: 2 laptops, 5 headsets, 5 mice, 5 keyboards.
      No globalling or uberhood required. An event just for hunters and miners.

• Find the Lost Interns. Set of 5 prizes (Herman ASI-20 (L), Herman ARK-20 (L), Herman LAW-202 (L), MAKO FAL-2 (L), Gyro FAP-6 (L)) to EACH of the first 5 winners.
      No ped required! Just run around and find them.

• Glorious Arkadian Landscapes. Take the best-voted screenshots. First prize, 6 months Gold forum membership. Second prize 3 months, third prize 1 month.
      No ped required!

• Alienware crafting event. One prize for highest global on a level 4 or below BP. One prize for highest global on a level 5 or above BP.
      Globalling required. An event just for crafters.

• Special Arkadia Adviser vests given to those who have shown initiative and leadership and become advisers. Something special for people who want to be involved Arkadians.
      No ped required!

• Inspire the Dev team by designing an Arkadian Flag. All entrants get 200 rep, winner(s) get Gold forum membership and as vantastic says, "bragging rights!" Designed for true Arkadians who understand the story and what will be symbolically important.
      No globalling or uberhood required, just some design skills and a passion for Arkadia.
      No ped required!

• Sanctuary Cove Competition giving small ped prizes to people who are first to show they've discovered various Arkadian items there.

• Scavenger Hunt event by Raven V in collaboration with Arkadia Studios: whole heaps of things being dropped. A giveaway.
      No ped required!

• Curb the Oratan Food Supply. Highest global gets a bonus prize of a full suit of armour, in six different categories. Uberhood admittedly increases your chances here but not a requirement. Six categories such that each player can compete with others at similar levels, awesome unlimited Smuggler equipment as prizes.
      Repeated globalling required.

Frankly, it was about time for a competition that required some serious globalling and uberhood on this planet.

/mod hat back on.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RAZER

RAZER Active Member Pro Users

Looks like we have our first global in Cat. 1, woot !!

10. sostoned

sostoned Member

Feran belongs in category 1

no use of hunting them in cat 2

greetings

11. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

:cool:, good point. How short our memories are sometimes!

12. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

Been hunting my catagory for a bit (not die hard grinding like i imagine many others) on 50 ped hunts.
    I have to admit altho zero globals, loot is suprisingly good (for me?)!
    Mostly TTing it and been paying for repairs and ammo so as i am pretty certain i don't have a chance, I'll stay on the loot train as long as it's there.
    ;)

Oh, btw...Just popped my 1st globber (52pedz, w00t!) so I'm on the board...
    Yep, all can give up now - this event is mine.
    :D

Tippin'

• Like Like x 1
  13. KillerDawg

KillerDawg Active Member Pro Users

I have to admit that I have chosen a category over my head (catagory 6), but the most important thing is I am enjoying myself. I may be out gunned, out classed and out funded, but I'm having the time of my Arkadian life, and that what it's really all about to me. I may win nothing but skills, but I will be quit happy with that. I know I have done my best. By the way, ATM I am 4th again, which makes me ecstatic. That will change in the future though, count on it.

GL and HOF's to all that participate. Thank you to the Arkadia team for this most enjoyable event.

Just my nickel's worth.
    KD

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lee DeLioncourt

Lee DeLioncourt Arkadian Outrider Platinum Member

I pretty much feel the same Dawg. Hunting what I would normally hunt and seeing where that goes if anywhere and not thinking about it, though I must admit I would love that Pegasus armor, so you have now raised the bar on that one for me :)

15. Xandra

Hi,

Yes, StarFinder, this might be better. Still there's the problem with events like this that "just adds some more goodies to the already biggest heap", what not only me detests.

Forcing people to compete in their tier would be great. It would prevent high skilled /geared ppl to poison the experience for the lower skilled/ geared ones - I have no way to compete with a Stryker (just as example) on Oweko. While I kill 1 Young, he has brought down 3 Stalkers ...

But I'm sure ET wouldn't be the way to go. I'll take me as an example again - I rarely hunt at all. The few hunting globals you have from me don't say anything at all about my tier ... They are mobs that was angry at my claim in their territory, usually ;-)

So this wouldn't work. Check my data (they might be hidden), then tell me what range I'd be ...
    Think I'd go for Cat 3 or 4 if I'd see a meaning in participating at all.

Another problem is the tracker problem as such. There's people that don't want to be tracked, discussing the reasons might be off topic here. Let's just assume that being tracked could hurt certain people in certain cases, so there needs to be a way to avoid this. I appreciate the way you're handling this, and I use it. Kudos!

But there are other trackers out there, and it's impossible to find them all and to opt out by all. I've made a proposal here, how this could be solved.

Feel free to support this!

Another thing:

Tim, thank you for posting this. This is the reason why I meanwhile have tattooed "Arkadian" on the left upper end of my cute behind. ;-)))

Criticizing the current event doesn't, in no way, mean criticizing the way events are held on Arkadia. At least from me. We had great events, especially the Alienware one, more of those, please! Even if I did win nada, it was so much fun! More, please!

But I cannot help to see the current event as a reminder of the evil, old Calypso times. "Ubers will get spoon-fed, as usually."

Quite some people will participate in the in-vain hope to have a chance. Quite some people will be frustrated a lot when they realize that all of their efforts was in vain. Quite some ppl will have bad karma then.

Isn't the meaning of making such an event a marketing action, aiming to get more customers? Well, maybe Stryker and Star (as examples) will stay for a week before heading back ...

I'm criticizing this current event. IMHO it doesn't do more but to get some Calypso Ubers, to grab the stuff and run. Most Globals? Easy for somebody in Shadow armor, with ModFAP and ImpMk.II ...

This just doesn't fit with all the cool events you have listed.

Have a good time!

16. Mordrell

Mordrell Active Member Pro Users

I am having a great time in Arkadia and really struggling to find a reason to ever go back to Calypso. A few things just need to happen:

1) This contests length needs to be shortened 6 weeks is just wayyyy to long and I don't think I can sustain the level of hunting I am doing now for that long... I dont think i am the first person to say this.
    2) More blueprints need to start dropping... atm Arkadia has a very healthy population of hunters and miners but the only way to get the economy running is to drop more Blue prints so the crafters will come as well.... all the hunting and mining loot need to go somewhere else besides the tt-machine.

Other then that you guys are doing a great job keep it up.... and smuggler weapon in my loot wont hurt either:)

17. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

View attachment 1988

Ostelok global, not sure if it got recorded. I dont run the tracker. should tie me with the other 2 who have globalled on these mobs. Am i accounted for?

I almost didn't catch this one in a screen!

18. Kid Squirrel

Kid Squirrel Member

I don't see your global listed on ET, but if you send starfinder the screenshot, he might be able to help you with it.

Good luck in the event :)

19. Oboy

Oboy Active Member

View attachment 1990

I just want to make sure im accounted for, I dont use the tracker and have had 2 ostelok globals in the last hour! Can someone please confirm if I have been recorded in the event?

20. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I dont see them in tracker. You need to send screenshots to starfinder else they wont be counted as tracker is the source used for the comp.