1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer suitable for EU

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wournos, Dec 24, 2017.

1. wournos

wournos Active Member

I'm planning on buying a new laptop for gaming but I have basically zero knowledge of PC settings, in terms of graphics cards, processors and whatnot. My current laptop is not a gaming computer and it is pretty much 7 years old. I can barely play on low settings.

Is it safe to assume that most, if not all, new computers can run EU on highest setting?

2. San

San Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that's a no, the paradigm still applies. While performance keeps increasing with every iteration, the presence of a dedicated graphics chip is a quantum leap a mere better CPU can't make up for. I'm in the same boat here, playing on a business laptop without this equipment and it's getting into the years. Depending on funds I can find in the near future, I am looking at either buying a used gaming laptop or building a rig from components.

Good generic guides are easy to google, try "laptop for gaming guide" or similar and e.g. this pops up:
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/gaming-laptop-buying-guide
    It covers the basics and differences worth knowing for a purchase decision without the common high-end hype.

As for specifics, one "insider tip" I found out a while ago is about Clevo, a taiwanese manufacturer of high-performance laptops. Unless it changed since last time I looked, they actually make the hardware for Alienware and several similar brands who then just stick their fancy design on for a hefty markup. The original is available for consumers, too, but can take a bit of dedication to find.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. wournos

wournos Active Member

Thank you for the reply. I am looking at that page right now. There are some very good pointers and info that reduce the choices, which is good. I did make a list of requirements and will keep looking for info.

4. mastermesh

mastermesh Active Member

I'd suggest that if you go with a laptop you get a usb keyboard and mouse... very bad if you are bashing the keyboard hunting and kill some hardware sitting under that keyboard because you hit the keys too hard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. wournos

wournos Active Member

I got a Lenovo Legion - on sale too. I got in and changed the graphics from medium (it was changed before-hand from low) to high. The graphics are to die for. I can now run around with sound and everything is super smooth.

I will be playing a hell of a lot more now! :happy::smuggrin::inlove:

• Like Like x 1
    • Gratz! Gratz! x 1