1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RSS Feed ComPet-app-deeds

Discussion in 'Entropia Release Notes' started by ArkadiaBot, Jul 4, 2014.

1. ArkadiaBot

ArkadiaBot Bringer of News PAF Administrator Planet Arkadia Official

[h=3]Entropia Universe brings gameplay to Smartphone, Tablet and Web Browser![/h]

[​IMG]

Finally you will be able to play the Entropia Universe(EU) on different platforms.
    The new Competition Pet (ComPet) system will provide features of Entropia Universe, including creature clashes, and bring them together in an exciting smartphone, tablet and web browser application.
    Smartphone, tablet and browser users will be able to compete with one another by selecting one of the many pets available in the ComPet application. There are various maturity and price levels available to fit players of all types, including a free-to-play version. Once a pet has been selected the user will choose a number of “buffs” and “add-ons” that can both personalize the pet and enhance its combat prowess. Next, users carefully prepare a unique battle plan; this is a set of special instructions for the pet on how to engage its rival. Once the user is satisfied with the pet configuration, the pet can be entered into the ComPet Arena or enlisted for defense duty at the user’s home base. In any battle, trainers can win real cash prizes. If players play for free they can win special pet upgrades and points; if played for PED (Project Entropia Dollars), they can win more PED, which can be exchanged for real cash.

[​IMG]

Additionally, any player can be part of this revenue opportunity and earn PED when smartphone, tablet and web browser users play the new Entropia Universe ComPet App. Before launch, 200,000 ComPet Deeds, priced at 100 PED (10 USD) each, will be made available through the webshop and in the Entropia Universe auction. Deeds can be acquired by anyone with an Entropia Universe account, even those who may not have installed the full Entropia Universe PC client software. They can alternatively purchase deeds through the Virtual Tycoon Android mobile app and start earning revenue from ComPet activity, which is scheduled for launch in Q1 2015.
    Deed holders will receive 30% of the gross ComPet revenue. In addition, the ComPet affiliate program will enable users to recruit their friends and earn a 15% share of their recruited users’ activity. The remaining 70% (or 55% in the case of an affiliate-referred user) of revenue will go toward marketing, operation and support for the ComPet App. In conjunction with MindArk’s accountants, Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC), the ComPet App accounts will be available for inspection and published on the Entropia Universe website.
    The graph below shows the annual return on the ComPet deeds as a function of the number of paying users (possible revenue share from affiliate program not included).

[​IMG]

Assumptions underlying the graph:

1. That the average user lifespan will be six months
    2. That 80% of the users will play for free and 20% will pay to play
    3. That the Average Revenue per Paying User and month (ARPU) will be 3 USD.

Originally posted here...

2. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Is this tied in to EU in some way? or completely separate game?

3. Gewitter

Gewitter Active Member

Nightmare ...
    :soangry:

4. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Active Member

Yikes. The idea of Combat Pets in this game is extremely lame to me. It reminds me of the reason I quit playing World of Warcraft. It became a child/teen only game.

The fact that they need to raise capital just to launch this "plan" gives me pause. It seriously smacks of desperation. Enron anyone?

5. May

May Active Member

Kittens, puppies and pandas? On these futuristic planets? View attachment 9751 So I can go fight the Oratan with a kittycat by my side?
    Moving away from the sci-fy, and on to the mainstream games for the masses? At least that's where the big bucks are.

But seriously: these are the re-named BADs, right?
    Do I understand it correctly:

- First I thought you could catch a mob, tame and train your pet with your tamer skills.
    After which you could use it for private amusement.

- After that, I thought: You catch a mob, tame it, and it becomes your pet.
    To store and train it, you need to pay one of the 14 Stable deed owners.
    After which you could use it in a PvP battle arena.
    And buy BAD deeds to earn off the battles with various platform users.

- Now I think: You buy a pet though the Compet system, and be it's trainer, not a tamer.
    No skilling needed, but buying 'buffs' and 'add-ons'.
    To store and upgrade it, you need to pay one of the 14 stable deed owners for use of their services.
    After which you could use it in turn-based pre-programmed battle arena fights.
    Winning a 'pay-to-play' battle will gain you PEDs, but battling for 'free' can win you only 'upgrades' and 'points'.
    You can also buy Compet deeds (BADs), which can provide you with 30% revenue from these battles with various platform users.
    And you can enter the Compet affiliate program for an additional 15% of your referrals activity.

Hopefully I got a lot of things wrong, but that's how I understand it, from the available information.
    With the 'buffs', 'upgrades', 'points' and 'special instructions' for an 'unique battle plan', this sounds (and looks) more and more like Pokemon. No need to play EU to gain required skills: just a lot of $, and to program the pet strategically.
    This appears to become something completely different from taming.
    Will there be anything at all that needs to be crafted for this? Or is it all for sale through the web shop?
    So far it seems the pill to control mobs, will be the only thing that you can actually gain through gameplay (looting). Though those might not stand a chance against all the pets who are buffed up with $ injections.
    Seems this continues on the trend that started with Pirates: where you don't need ingame gained skills to be able to use ability/equipment, but just can buy your way in.

Really wishing this will turn out to be not nearly be as bad as the current impression.
    If this is MA's roadmap for the future; I could see EU eventually consisting mainly of investors and deed-holders.
    Peddling wares on the internet to bring in short term playing kids (with credit cards), for various simple games.
    It seems quite a left turn from PE, or even from EU. View attachment 9752
    [/rant]

6. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

One of the things I like about EU is that it is big enough that you can do the things that interest you and ignore the parts that are less interesting. In fact there is more stuff to do than I have time or money for. That's beauty of an open universe sandpit. And that's why this new game play element doesn't bother me. I'm really not interested in pet fights but I have so much other stuff to do. I won't be investing in the deeds because there are other parts of EU I would rather direct my spare cash. But I expect there are people this stuff will appeal to including those who may not be currently be playing and could subsequently enticed into the larger EU environment.

I'll be very interested to see the marketing strategy.

7. Gewitter

Gewitter Active Member

I would move all these pandas on a separate planet and let the children play. But not here. Money - is not all in this game. Although much

8. mastermesh

mastermesh Active Member

[video=youtube_share;lFjeBXFADFo]http://youtu.be/lFjeBXFADFo[/video]

9. atomicstorm

atomicstorm Platinum Member Platinum Member

Never underestimate people with money in a freemium game.

10. Spike Black

Spike Black Active Member

Or how much they're willing to spend on completely and utterly useless things that look nice but have no function ;)

Atleast with the Ark team you could play in the underground before deciding to buy a deed, I doubt MA has gotten any further than the press release with this development. How much do we trust the projected returns? Are the players willing to spend another $2,000,000 with nothing to look at for atleast another 5-6 months or even longer.

Another issue is the assumption of 20% of users paying, in which reality is this based upon?

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/35972-only-1pc-of-app-gamers-pay

The 80/20 split was based on a huge group of players.

What;s stopping MA releasing a pos app and pocketing the money?

I have to agree this is not taming but then I also don't consider the new beacons a true beacon either.

I had a feeling they were trying to distance themselves from the RCE and this looks like another step in that direction.

11. the-unknown

the-unknown Member

So, what do the PP's get so that they have an interest in making sure that pets work out well?

If PP's ain't getting anything, they have no reason to support any activities regarding stables, pets, etc.

12. Neil

The PPs, by creating conditions conducive to taming, will attract tamers to their planet and collect income from fees or decay in those activities.

13. Spawn

Spawn Active Member

I think it's like this:

- Now I think: You buy a pet though the Compet system, and be it's trainer, not a tamer.
    No skilling needed, but buying 'buffs' and 'add-ons'.
    You don't need to store it as the compet game is NOT related to entropia universe in any way.
    Winning a 'pay-to-play' battle will gain you PEDs, but battling for 'free' can win you only 'upgrades' and 'points'.
    You can also buy Compet deeds (CPD), which can provide you with 30% revenue from these battles with various platform users.
    And you can enter the Compet affiliate program for an additional 15% of your referrals activity.

And in other completely unrelated news:
    You can buy a stable and rent stalls to users of pets. You can offer special training and care for these pets for a fee. These pets have been tamed and HAVE NO RELATION to the compets whatsoever
    You can fight with your entropia universe pets inside these stables in battle arenas. You can also buy Battle Arena deeds (BAD) and get revenu from these deeds from ppl fighting in these arenas.
    If these arenas are on calypso then Battle arena deeds conflict with calypso land deeds because calypso land deeds give revenu from all activities on calypso.

So in the future we will have cld, aud, bad and lastly cpd. where the main difference with the last one is that compet deeds give revenu for a game not part of entropia universe.

14. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

YAY!!!!!

More Gimmiks to waste programing and employee resources on...

Explains why we been getting raped in the economy for the last months. Probably be prepaying the Caly CEO's Bonus too if we haven't already.

15. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I'm pretty sure development is from a 3rd party provider.

16. Spike Black

Spike Black Active Member

As was found and mentioned on another forum. The ComPet system was mentioned in the 2013 MA Financial statement.

The bigger question is if they've been working on it for that long, why isn't it here and why do they need $2,000,000 to finance it.

17. Neil

That's a reasonable assumption, but we don't know for sure where the money is going. For all we know, it might be going to fund space development next year, or not even be leaving the entropia universe economy at all.