1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changes to skills

Discussion in 'Entropia Universe' started by Spike Black, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Spike Black

Spike Black Active Member

Not everyone will be aware of this so I'm posting it here as well.

There's a discussion ongoing regarding the merging of melee professions on EF. Now personally I'm not against MA asking questions about changes to the skill system, tbh I'm all for it but surely it should include all people it will affect including the other planet partners.

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?218264-Merging-melee-professions-skills

From the way Kim posted the original question it appears as if he's just floating ideas

however for a long time MA have never taken much heed of discussions on the forum but suddenly after only 9 pages we get

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/f...sions-skills&p=2826972&viewfull=1#post2826972

Now I'm fairly active on most of the forums but I missed this one completely even though it's up to 19 pages and to base a proposed change such as this on only 9 pages where only a selection of the playerbase even keep up with is a bit much especially as Kim is supposedly only in charge of Calypso. And making such a change could have a massive effect on other planets their development plans.

2. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

I for one are totally against any change of this sort, and as you say this is NOT a Caly change so I think they need to sell Caly real soon as they seem to have trouble to distinguish between platform and planet. (how I dont know tho as it's the same words in Swedish, plattform and planet)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lee DeLioncourt

Lee DeLioncourt Arkadian Outrider Platinum Member

It's not on EF btw, it's on PCF, and yes Kim for sure seems to have a hard time knowing the difference between Calypso and the whole platform, seems he works on both and we are pretty much (sorry to say PPs included) at his mercy these days.

4. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I posted against the idea in that thread but am clearly in the minority view.

5. Spike Black

Spike Black Active Member

oops, it's weird though that a platform change is being discussed on a planets forum rather than EF. The annoying thing is that he didn't post this as a poll and leave it open for a few weeks, he left it only for 6 hours. It was more like he'd made his decision and just needed a few posts to confirm it.

so did I, a change it may even work in my favour but changing the skill system like that after so many skills were split only a few months ago. If the skills were merged then it would have to be numerically to be accepted, i.e. 20 in each giving a single 40 but then it moves most people out of their sib zone into a much more costly level.

What's next the pistol and rifle skills? BLP, Laser, plasma and exlosives into a single weapon tech skill?

I can see that he's trying to make EU simpler to allow more people to stay but it comes down to is do we want EU to be just like every other mmo? We already know he's a pvp fan and pushing for more. Unfortunately his dad is the one in charge of EU development.

6. Raven Lunchbox

Raven Lunchbox Adviser Arkadia Adviser

Lunchbox chimes in,....

So I ask again where the hell is our development guy for Ark, u know that can spawn mobs at will, change loot tables, create new smuggler stuff and do whatever the hell whenever the hell they want?

7. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I dont think we should be too stressed about Kim asking for views in PCF. That's (Calypso) his area of responsibility and I guess he will be feeding back to the design team on the outcomes. As to whether the design team takes his recommendation on board is another thing altogether. Personally I am glad that someone from MA is actually seeking the views of players.

I still would prefer Caly was owned bt a PP for a more level playing field but I don't see that happening again in a hurry.

Re Lunchbox's bit - can/does he really do all that? I know he fixed a problem with spawns during LT migration but whats this about loot tables?

Regards,
    KikkiJikki

8. Raven Lunchbox

Raven Lunchbox Adviser Arkadia Adviser

kj, actually yes he can and stated in during the LT migration, made mention of upping the loot and adding item droprate and such. others saw the comments and spoke about it also. kinda hinting or jking that it sounds like KIM IS THE BALANCING MANAGER. because he was able to change the loot tables on his own without going thru others. Also can control spawns and such. The issue is really that kim is both MA developer and Caly developer, so he can do things that if there were an ark developer that we talk to....cant do.

Which is absolutely unbalanced and unfair.

Just look at all the ubers that have dropped on caly in the last week. if u look past few weeks its much more. While here on ark despite a 6wk intense event and all the side hunting for months, an 11k huon and 15k kiana are all that popped up for big ubers, not a single ath or even close to one. yuka young have the same hp as levi but have garbage loot and so on.... we are not even getting the med to higher level L armor to drop.

While almost any mob on caly has the potiential to drop. uber armor, weapon, fap and other items, we know that only UL weapons can drop here and very very rarely.

I think that the loot is clearly favoring caly, yes i know they have more people, but I also know i grind huon over 12hr a day, and cycle round about 10kped or more doing so daily, and others grind hard as well, but still no ATH or decent frequency with high ped hofs 1k and above.

These are the things that drive players away from ark.

Someone mentioned that dave said it was his choice to not have UL armor. If that is the case i cant understand the reasoning. These are the things that we grind all day in hopes of finding, if its not in the loot at all, people will leave, there is not enough loot TT or mu that will keep people here otherwise.

Imagine i go grind molisks for next 8 wk like i have done the huon and yuka. surely angel arms will probably drop. they are rare but not that rare. i may not even be the one to loot them but someone will.

I am actually shocked that huon havent dropped a weapon thats UL or an ATH since event started, we got 1 11k drop of oils. while i saw 2 uber trox same day i think 2 days ago.

and rexilium a new mob not a week old drops over 40kATH hmmm.

9. Xandra

Xandra Active Member Pro Users

Hi,

for your information: The thread has been closed by now. On page 25. Then JimmyB posted one more. He has mail now :)

I wrote in it, and my second point was:

For the change itself, I cannot decide. We have a multitude of different skills now, many with quite strange connections. For instance, a rifle hunter is getting loads of agility standing still at the spot and shooting the incoming critters, while a melee fighter that is running around like mad all day long gets quite few of it ...

There are serious quirks in the skill system. I'd really appreciate an overhaul now after all these years of adding here, patching there. It would be, done correctly, benefit us all, IMHO.

But to have it done correctly, just merging 2 skills isn't enough by far. This would be only one more change requiring even more patches ... I'd think that it's time to evaluate the whole skill system and find a way to streamline it. A way that wouldn't hurt the participants, and that would add to the depth and complexity of the game!

Having 500 random skills where the difficulty mainly is to get an overview, to find the loopholes and to exploit them, has, for sure, an edge for the few that have the ability and the patience to do it. For ppl like me.
    But does it help the game?

IMHO a 250 skill system, logically and comprehensively developed, would benefit the game much more. What we lack is just - participants. We need enough of them to have a working in game economy, we need them to give the word "RCE" a meaning. Making things this complicated that it takes actually years just to understand the basics isn't a good move - we see the results. New players that are heavily in disadvantage because of this might not enjoy, and go elsewhere?

Depth in a gaming experience isn't related to the sheer numbers of skills. It's about the potential combinations, and the potential synergies, and the balance. Depth in a gaming experience isn't reached when a skill system patched, changed, nerfed, buffed and patched again over years results in a major advantage for a few weapon types.
    This only creates uniformity, see H400 and P5a in certain ranges.

I'd appreciate a big overhaul. But I cannot propose such, because I just lack the data. It's about how the ppl do in their hunting, it's about who uses what, it's about the resource prices and availability, and the crafting scene. It's something that only MA could do, and it wouldn't be an easy job.

I'd appreciate if MA would do this work, and then ask us to discuss the results. And then would filter the many voices that are obviously only leaded by their own profit ...
    Such a discussion should then be on EF AND EP, to hear all the voices of the participants. Only in such a way it could work. And MA should be ready to reimburse those that would been damned to suffer - well done it wouldn't be this many. And an UL weapon with TT = 0 is quite cheap for MA, for instance.

My 2 animal oil residues.

Have a good time!

• Like Like x 1