1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you please stop turning "my" game into a WoW clone (soulbound nonsense)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Fallen, Oct 31, 2013.

1. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

Well, 1st off..Throw MU on what?
    Secondly, I am not going to TT any of my (semi) desirable items.

If/when I get a Smuggler version why would I TT it?
    That'd be more than likely FAR less than I spent to get it.

No...That sucker is mine..Now there may or may not (eventually) be many like it, but it is indeed mine and only mine.

If someone wants one like mine, grind out whatever I had to do to get one.
    If someone wants one like mine, but does not want to grind it out like I did, buy some Eon/Mod Angel/Dune Rider/etc armor.
    It'll more than likely be cheaper than what it cost to grind out the smuggler quest.

And that's going to hurt the armor market how?

The unlimited supply, right?
    Heh..Say every player right now went to get that set....You know what kind of boom to the economy that'd be?
    Hell, 1st off, armor crafters will be happy.
    So will weaapon makers....
    Resellers buying TT crap or buying for other crafter will have their hands full...

And that's just the "hunting" part of it - as it was strongly sugested it won't be a simple grind and go, there's likely to be other areas that benefit as well.

I'd say mentor Pixie/Hunter has hurt armor market more than Viceroy/Smuggler ever will....

Tippin'

• Like Like x 1
  2. Xandra

Xandra Active Member Pro Users

Hi,

Nah, silly! :rolleyes: Guess I should work on my explanation skills ...
    As mentioned, I personally don't like the idea, but I see the reasons behind, and thus can accept their existence.

Let's have a look at Viceroy and Gremlin, and the consequences:
    Viceroy is a bit better in the stats, and quite easily available. This makes Gremlin a logical no-go, as long as it doesn't have an even lower MU as it already has. If you don't especially love the look of Gremlin.
    The even low MU of Gremlin will go down to close-to-nothing, because anybody looking for an armor in this class will come to Arkadia, buy a mission-pack, grab a Viceroy, and head homewards.

And after a while everybody that has need for such an armor will have a Viceroy, and the main benefit of this bound armor, rising the MU of otherwise TT food, will vanish. But the MU of Gremlin will still be down, and any owner of it (me among) will not regard this as a good move.

Now imagine the quests for these armors (now, may be other items once in the future) would be time-limited (available for 6 months or a year at max).
    The corresponding items still would suffer a severe hit in the MU, but only, you guess it, for a limited time! This would make it much more bearable for the unhappy owners of Gremlin (and it's successors).

Additionally, the item requirements for each "new bound item" could be tailored to the market situation, sucking up huge stacked supplies. And since it would be another item, many ppl that already have Viceroy would go for it again. To the benefit of Arkadia.
    Imagine, too, that the quest for such stuff would involve more than just buying of some resources. "Buying resources" is quite important, it helps the Arkadian economy - but it doesn't showcase Arkadia in all it's glory!
    Imagine an additional nice quest line, requiring some time, showcasing the planet. Got it?

Viceroy available forever would seriously hinder these benefits. And would just fraggle the owners of a certain equivalent item, Gremlin in this case. Forever. Not good.

In short why I don't like soul-bound UL items:

It's spring in the year of 2020, and MA has again published red quartal numbers, as well as a participant number of now over 10 Gigazillions. Among the few remaining active players the trade of armors, weapons and other tools has come to a grinding halt - everybody and its Pet Atrax is fully equipped with rather good soul-bound gear meanwhile.
    A few high skilled crafters are still selling stuff to enthused new-comers, but barely make a living from, and are all to often forced to feed of half rotten Snablesnots, like all the other participants.

Many people have left enraged, since the value of their once extremely expensive bought stuff had been vaporised by the new soul-bound items - the planet partners had found it a good way to lure players to their property.

The organized "Going for Good, and Grabbing the money" of 5 of the top skilled Socs will ever be remembered as the "Epic GGG Goodby" in the forums:
    Well, ND had made a quest on RT that yielded an UL soul-bound FAP with stats even better than ModFAP.
    Within an hour after it became known, nearly any participant in EU had gathered on RT, and withing a few days, before MA was able to wake up, rub their eyes, realize what happened and stop the madness, thousands of "NEVERDIE-ULTRAFap's" had been handed out.

ModFap's are at a MU of +10 for now, MA has to made a kickstarter project to be able to just pay the withdrawals. Promising each founder a ModMerc. Oh oh!

Have fun!

3. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Here is my take on this bound stuff. I understand Both sides of the argument but it all boils down to what the brain children at MA do to protect the inner circle.

They have gone down that path of nerf and patch every other mmo that has come and gone has done. They are adding too many things (Specially on Calypso) upstaging the last fad item at an alarming rate. There is not an economy anywhere that can sustain this way of doing things. The bound gear has nice stats and may well be worth the effort. TODAY. Tomorrow the brain children will add a new fad that one ups this and at some point everyone that has worked for this bound gear will find it useless other then the braggin rights that they completed the mission. Not being able to pass this gear like a hand me down to lower level players able to use it it will end up holding a valued storage slot. At some point even if only say one set a year is added or a weapon or tool or two get added this will become a bog down on the system in many forms.

Just like the newer weapons that are getting added every VU by each planet upstaging the other. Pretty soon it will cost 100 dollars to kill a gallard if all this one-upmanship rolls along unchecked and in line with the throw every possible fad into EU method that has been happening in the last few years. MA will keep letting this go on as with every iteration the things to have today take a little nerfing to "Balance" out the new stuff getting added. Perfect example is all the uber gear being sold off now so the people who paid massive MU on it can get out before its all obsoleted.

Bound items to me only add to this as ultimately the effort and cost to obtain it will assuredly will be made null and void as the next nerf n patch wave rolls thru.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

We can always depend on Bill to find the positive :p

5. anthonymorris

anthonymorris Platinum Member Platinum Member Arkadia Adviser

This is a very true, and we know how MA uses the PP to come up with idea's. The good thing is that they would be able to unbond the item if this happens(when it happens). but always trying to one-up then new item will like you said have a reverse effect. But how long will it take is the real question???? People from the days of old will agree that the game has changed alot and mostly not for the best now their has been stuff to help the players but most of what has been done is done to help the overhead of the company which this is a business and I understnd that.

But its like a PPD(private Protection Detail) and the protector is MA and the client is well US the players, how long will they last on the job if they get us shot or even gets us killed? More so, how long will they be in business if the word gets out that they did not listen to their employer(detail) on concerns that he had and it ended up wounding or even killing the employer(detail)? Well not long........... but David and the A-team are always looking out for us and even answers some of our questions and concerns. This personally leads me to believe that even though David is looking out for his bottom line he is "ALSO" looking out for our bottom line too. Our concern should be directed more to MA who controls the system they are the real issue here, players and PP are just pieces in a chess game in the end their can only be one winner and that would be the one who control the table ie MA.

Unless ofcourse we all donate money to David to do a hostil takeover on MA lol, "VIVA LA Reveloution":soangry: :surrender::soangry::hail::soangry:;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Haha Ill just wait til someone snaps and gets pushed to far. Then we can buy MA at the firesale. Someone in this day and age will crack and do something stupid like that.

7. Xandra

Xandra Active Member Pro Users

Hi,

Regarding the strange laws in some countries such could happen quite easily, IMHO. It isn't that MA wouldn't have some legal vulnerabilities ...

Imagine a rich newcomer, maybe from rural US *), with a nervous mindset, that comes in, gets excited, spends some 10K USD for skills and gear, and gets scammed this way. Gets time-banned due to picking up a fight about this, and finally gets robbed by a huge sum when traveling to another planet.
    He might easily call for an army of lawyers, intending to get revenge on evil MA who treated him so badly and didn't sufficiently respond to his more and more insulting support tickets.

A good team of US lawyers with the "mission to destroy" would easily find a bunch of cases to sue MA into submission. Gambling, aid to theft, insufficient warnings, aid to money laundering, whatever. Lawyers can be quite creative, and MA isn't renown for its brainpower and cautiousness.

I hope the PP's have a plan for such a situation, and the funds at hand to realize it. And I'm not sure if such wouldn't be the best that could happen to the game.

Have a good time!

*) I have used "US" for an example. For sure such could happen anywhere - it's just that, seen from Europe, the US have some really strange legal regulations, fabulous fines and compensations, and few scruples to force their law onto other countries' inhabitants. As well, a certain mindset of "flaring up", aggressive and violent behavior, even among well educated & heeled persons, is quite often seen from rural US ppl (MudKicker ...).
    I know, this may be biased opinion, but it just fitted this nicely as an example! So, dear US inhabitants, don't stoneth me, plz! I love you, and I know you're completely different!

8. anthonymorris

anthonymorris Platinum Member Platinum Member Arkadia Adviser

I agree with you partly on this statement there are alot of stupid people in the USA that are looking for an easy buck, so much so I’m at times embarrassed to say I’m for the USA. I'm mean look at our leaders if they can’t even agree on the simplest of things, what are we doomed too? But I do hope PP have a contingence plan for the OMG/WTF because it would suck to be put in the gutters. I think it will be a hard platform to build from scratch again