1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Called it right again!!!

Discussion in 'Entropia Universe' started by Cyborg Bill, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snuggins

Snuggins Member

If one always takes a pessimistic view of things then doom and gloom prophecies will always come true.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Harvest

Harvest Member

With the mass amounts of nfrs over the years MA making things better isnt the first thing that comes to mind.

Why would they give you stuff for a mission when you can just loot it? Some type of welfare system for items? If you cant just loot an item thats worth a crap L or not, sounds like a big problem with the main system and token is the band aid. Why not just give out ped in the first place?

The thing with attributes dropping is those attributes are worth a lot of ped to certain ppl. So the question started to become why cant you loot and sell attributes or the point earned to some one else? It comes down to MA needs to back out of things and let the players sell to each other. Every time you can go right to MA and receive something that cuts opportunity for the players to make money.

Token is away for you to buy possibly an attribute point in the feature? Why doesnt MA butt out and close down their shop(missions for items) or at least for lootus sake share with the rest of the community?

3. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

I think missions should be, above all, interesting. They should be interesting enough to entice players to do them regardless of whether a reward is offered. That includes the kill 15k oros... make it part of an interesting storyline and once you kill 15k oros, you can unlock the next mission. Honestly, most of the Caly missions are so boring that they need to bribe you with loot or tokens to get you to slog through the tedium of finishing them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snuggins

Snuggins Member

I think there is room to make iron missions and challenges that are not exceptionally deep as well as other story driven missions. I kind of like the ifn challenge as it is. It may be a bit one-dimensional, but that's kind of the charm of it. I'm looking forward to seeing more that are just like it for other mobs. The ifn needs to know who's serious! :)

Different strokes for different folks. Some people will find the story driven missions tedious and lame. They might just want a countdown to achievement and a reward (whether the reward is valuable or not).

Trying to make them all appeal any one set of tastes is unnecessary and will just turn off people that have different tastes. There is no universal definition for "interesting."

I think the key is to keep the rewards from being so frickin' awesome that people feel like they have to do a mission that they aren't interested in or miss out on a vital opportunity. It's a careful balancing act to do that while still making the rewards somewhat enticing and not insulting for the time/effort put into getting them.

5. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

Ok lets get back on the original topic that MA has implemented what I see is their version of an item mall. While these recent responses do pertain to things brought up in an answer to a specific question to establish what I see as correct in other predictions as some are calling them they are not on topic.

I have established a definition to what I percieve an item malls function to be in response to a previous post. Its implementation within the platform will be determined by its use during the current test phase if its full implementation is not already planned out by MA. (This btw I already fear to be true as once MA starts down a path no matter the reprocussions it does not stop. Have you all forgot the tiering fiasco). Currently I see alot of acceptance by the playerbase which saddens me greatly.

As of now there is limited testing happening on Calypso with a few missions using this system with limited rewards. Although this may not in itself pose a huge impact on our economy (our meaning the entire economy not Arkadian for the one rail thinkers among us) further propogation of it would have huge ramifications down the line. We all know we must make our returns from mark up on things we either make or loot. We also know the amount of mark up is supply and demand driven. The more something is available the less value it holds.

Well as I see it MA will be doing this to many many more things just as they have with the incorporation of L gear. As with the introduction of L gear this will cause a chain reaction drop in the values of items. Personal experience female bear armor shins. There was only 5 sets in game for the time I spent in game. I bought the 6th set ever looted the day after they were gotten. Within 4 days MA dopped close to 20 sets of L shins. Someone tried selling their ul shins and the decline of their value was a massive loss. This loss in mu happened on a huge scale across the board on all but the best uber gear (surprising how that works....not)

As more of this L gear drops the lower its mu becomes. Now add into the eqauation all this gear being sold in MA's item mall. What do you think will happen to mu people would be able to get. It will fall to near tt since many more sets will be introduced into the market. The only ones benefiting over all is MA. It will be one less way for the playerbase to recover loss which in turn forces people to depo more to stay at the same level of play.

As for tokens adding to the economy there is no way in hell they would recover the loss needed to aquire them in the long run. The only real potential profiters will be upper level players already kitted with the best gear who will obviosly produce far more tokens then the avg player due to harder missions giving more rewards along with the eco advantages they already hold.

Add to the traditional nerf and tax way of MA and this will only get worse over time.

So Tim I can not get any more basic nor direct to explain what I see. Yes there are many many sub branches of the economy this could have an effect on but there is not enough space on this forum to debate them all. Hope fully this satifies your iquiries as I still hold that you may be simply taunting me by the added chide in your post regarding your reading comprehension and the part about seeing if another mod would "mod' you without that you sounded sincere which is why I took the time to post again.

6. Neil

So let me see if I have this right... you'd prefer that only 6 lucky people in 5 years get to use a particular set of armor (at insane markup), and you would not prefer to allow a much larger group to enjoy an affordable version of that armor?

In what way does paying a huge MU on rare items make the game more affordable? I don't know what the MU on UL bear armor shins was, but let's say, for argument, that 1 person every year looted it and sold it for +1000 peds (I don't know the real historical MU of your example, I'm just making this number up). Now that hunter made 1000 peds, the buyer lost 1000 peds but gets to use the armor. Now let's say that about 1000 L bear shins are looted every year, and let's say that each sells for +1 ped. So that adds +1000 ped to the coffers of the hunters as a group. The difference, however, is that there are now 1000 buyers who get to use this armor for a cost of only +1 ped, which is very affordable. To me, it's a no-brainer. The common L armor is much more beneficial to the EU playerbase than the rare UL armor was, since per year L benefits 1000 hunters and UL benefits only 1 hunter.

So... you talk about L items killing the MU of rare UL items, and that may certainly happen. But honestly, I fail to see why this would be a bad thing. It makes items available for many players, not just the .01% who were lucky enough to loot a rare UL item. If there are too many L items being dropped so that they become worthless, then that's an issue for the MA loot balancer to correct, not a problem with the L items themselves.

7. Cyborg Bill

Please stop. you are so far from what is being discussed its no longer funny. I understand you havent been here long but you should at least be able to follow the core discussion if you know anything about the rce element

8. Neil

Hm... No, actually you were discussing this topic. Why do you bring these things up if you don't want them discussed? Or was this thread supposed to be your own personal complain-about-entropia-and-make-vague-doom-and-gloom-predictions-while-insulting-anyone-who-disagrees-with-you thread?

9. TimUnleashed

TimUnleashed Forum Official Pro Users

CB,

Thanks for the explanation. I can kinda see your perspective. I do agree with one thing Neil's saying: that it's up to them to balance it properly. That is, the problem is not the existence of the tokens, but the way they get balanced out in the end. That has got to be an incredibly difficult task to do well, and it's something they've clearly messed up in the past.

So while I understand your sense of foreboding, I guess I just think that it's not a foregone conclusion that the market will be flooded with worthless tokens. I can see how you think it ALMOST IS a foregone conclusion though :)

10. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

11. rick_janson

rick_janson Well-Known Member Pro Users

So are the token traders actually trading things that are ingame and looted? Or are they special items available only through missions?

12. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

Angel (L), TK320 (L), adapted Montgomery (L)(almost sure thats the correct name) and atleast 2 or 3 more items can be bought today from this so called token trader...
    And all items can be looted or crafted today

13. rick_janson

I could see that as a potential problem, then... But I don't think it's necessarily a guaranteed problem like CB makes it out to be.

14. Cyborg Bill

When this becomes platform wide and the more items get added you can garantee that the mu recovery from items within this new system or what I call our version of an item mall is looted will in time be far lower then it is now. The goal for MA is to push the economy as close to tt value as it can before its minimum accepted income is reached.

I feel really bad for people that dont yet understand MA will NEVER add something to the platform that benefits the player. The ONLY reason this game exists is to do this. Our only recourse is find ways to limit that loss while the proverbial cards are continiously stacked against us. If we all keep acccepting this devaluation MA will continue down the same path to our nothingness.

15. rick_janson

Actually, you're wrong... Everyone has one other obvious choice: stop playing. But then this choice being made is why MA is having to resort to measures such as this...

16. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

I dont see any benefit to MA in forcing MU lower. MU is a zero sum game where my profit comes from your loss. MA isnt impacted. So where is the motivation for them to implement such a policy?

17. Neil

MA also loses when the MU of items goes lower, since auction fees go decrease as well. Auction fees may not be much compared to they money they get from the repair terminal, but it probably pays the salary of one or two employees.

18. Cyborg Bill

Again we are going off track but I will apply the same reasoning to answer the new branch to this.
    MA is making money hand over fist or the game would have folded long ago. Spread sheets for accounting can be manipulated to show what is necessary to the users means.

MA has a minimal level of income needed to satisfy both growth, current bills, and shareholder interests. Any buisness model shows that a need to hold revinue in limbo to cover something is bad. Hence the change over to the L system. Any other reason given is part of the smoke and mirror act. That being said pushing as close to tt for everything resolves the need to hold money to cover it. L gear garantees no need to hold money as it will in time decay to nothing. Altho MA is responsible for tt only they are still bound to cover money from potential MU gains should people decide to remove it once converted to ped. Thus a move to devaluate as much as possible yet still cover that minimum income set becomes the end game.

I have to go out atm and can address this more later this evening.

19. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

I just wasted good part of my day getting tokens Still less then 20 worth now and out of missions I can do... I don't think anything is in jeopardy it takes for flippen ever to get enough tokens to get anything. It is about the same as spending all that time trying to loot the stuff and it is limited anyways. This argument is pretty much null and void in my mind as a person trying to collect tokens. I'll be playing for next 3 years to get angle armor by either getting tokens or by hunting for it no matter how I look at it. Best bet is to just depo money and buy it in auction. LOL

20. Cyborg Bill

Well at this point you lack experience in dealing with the ways MA works. Right now that system is only a test case. If all you people buy into it and praise it MA will for sure add more of these missions, add more items to buy in their mall with these tokens, and begin raising the drop rate to make them worthless to the community to make up for the ped loss it took to get them. Not to mention once it is in full force and part of the core system it will be setup on all planets whether the partners want them or not.

This is the exact way they wiened EU on L gear..installed it with a little hook for the players and over time made the hook worthless. It is a well established pattern for them and I have seen it cycle at minimum once a year..some years two systems were fed into the game in which they have done this. If you really pay attention you see major adjustments about once every 6 months and subtle changes made each and every VU.

In time you will see. Specially once you pass 15ish in a mining prof or roughly 32 to 35 in hunting prof. Changes are not so subtle above those levels and become more notable and trackable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.