1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginners: what weapon to choose?

Discussion in 'Ask an Adviser' started by Smoerble, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Smoerble

Smoerble Active Member Pro Users

Most tutorials give a lot information, because they give you every single detail of information that is needed for exact calculations etc.

I want to try a different approach: I give you some basic knowledge without the last detail. The information will work for most players and should be easy to handle. If you need exact info, ask in this topic.

If you fully understand this game, then you find informations like: “this weapon+amp+mob combination is most effective”... but in your first months of playing, the difference is so low, that you won’t recognize it.

General advice:
    Buy only (L) weapons. Unlimited weapons seem to have better stats, but as long as you are below level 70, you loose PEDs using them: a) you miss more often, b) you don't do as much damage as you could/should

What are the difference between the weapon categories?
    Laser: cheap to use
    BLP: faster kills than laser weapons, but a little more expensive
    Melee: high costs per kill, but quickest way to skill health
    (and other skills)
    Support/explosives/plasma/other: this is nothing for the first months of playing (too expensive, or not the right weapons for beginners available etc)

The main difference between pistols and rifles (both for laser and BLP) is, that typically pistols have more use per minute, but rifles have longer range. This means: pistols allow a little faster skilling and it's easier to switch to a first aid kit, but the rifles do more range damage, before the monster hits you and your armor.

Other things you should keep in mind is the supply of new weapons later. Currently higher level weapons are easy to find for laser, a little harder for BLP and not so good for melee weapons. But hopefully this changes soon due to Arkadia.

Skills:
    There are a lot skills you unlock, when you reach a higher level in a specific profession. The more skills you have unlocked, the more skills you gain when hunting plus: some of the unlocked skills give you more health gains.
    This means:
    If you stick to one specific weapon type (example: you use only laser rifles), then you will unlock more skills in one year, than if you use all different weapon types for the same time.

You can sell skills later too. The more players use a skill, the lower the price is, this is why currently explosives and melee are more expensive skills than BLP and laser.

How to choose a weapon for you:
    No-one can tell for sure what is the best way to do. I try to give you some advice though:
    1) If you don’t want to spend much money: go with laser rifles only, don’t switch weapon types.
    2) If you plan to spend significant amount of money each month (300 PEDs), go for laser pistols or pistols, don’t switch to rifles, don’t use melee weapons
    3) If you think, you will invest a lot of PEDs (20.000 PEDs+) after maybe a year, go for knifes (you skill faster, you get more expensive skills)

For everyone there is a way in between these “lines”, everyone needs to find out what to do best.

Keep in mind:
    We did not talk about crafting yet, not about healing, not about armor, not about loot. Give me feedback if you like this approach, then I will write more.

2. Lee DeLioncourt

Lee DeLioncourt Arkadian Outrider Platinum Member

Moved over to the New Player Area :)

3. Stagger

Stagger Member

This has got written sticky all over it,

It's great info for newbs! be sure to have read it atleast once!
    note that most unlimited guns don't have SIB ( Skill Increase Bonus)
    which keeps you from reaching a good hit and crit rating at lower levels.

4. Smoerble

Smoerble Active Member Pro Users

Ok, let me add something:

Non-SIB unlimited guns are bad for beginners.
    Unlimited SIB guns are fine for beginners... but:
    A low level SIB makes no sense for a beginner, because he maxes it after a few weeks and it costs a lot TT plus some MU.
    A high level SIB is not of interested for beginners, as they will not spend 5000 PEDs TT and 10.000 PEDs MU.

Result: unlimited weapons are not for beginners :).

I love EU because of it's complexity. But it makes it hard to explain in every aspect, this is why I try to come up with simple rules... any more ideas what and how to simplify the tutorials?