1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auction needs help stop reseller greed

Discussion in 'General Economy Discussion' started by Bamaken, Oct 24, 2011.

1. aj502

aj502 Active Member Pro Users

Ah....Must've been you that bought out all those basic leather extractors at the obviously "ungreedy and economy helping" MU of 500%...
    ....Wait....

:whistle:

Tippin'
    (Damn...I am supposed to be boycotting this forum... :/ )

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ben Coyote

Ben Coyote Member

The problems of Gree, and Mass production mass comumption (or as I say, Get Real!)

Now I'm going to lump this into a number of posts that have been said already and point out the issues we have at hand.

WellGordon Gecko from the Movie Wall Street Said it best, Greed is good. But then he didn't tell us all of the story. Greed is good within reason. The thing is may people tend to over inflate the prices so that they can get their ped back, and a lot of times, they do this not on a whim but to partially drive the economy of any planet, at the expense iof the misinformed player.

Just recently I have pointed out to the disciples I have that with Carebok Texture BP's that some folks place them on the auction just so that they can 'sucker punch a noob' and get thier hard earned EED. And others tend to over-inflate prices to try and cover their hunting/mining losses. Which can be both good and bad. For over inflation means you will NEVER sell those items, and you the seller won't be ever getting that Money back from a potential buyer, or even a new player. The thing is sometimes you have to swallow your pride and your greed and 'get real'. Some of the best sales I have made are very low in terms of MU. Sometimes I have to sell at or below MU, to make things move. And in fact I'll point this out later on in this post.

Well what happens also in case you don't realize is that a lot of players teake things off planet and sell them again, at over inflated prices. sometimes wanting double, triple, or even more times then they realize.

This is why Space is lootable. To lock down the transport of goods, that no one on other planets will buy with such over inflation. I mean would you want to buy from a trader/seller, who charges 3x the actual Market price? Of course not, but would you consider buying from a seller who is actually offering at very little over mark up? Of course. I mean I sell my items at a firm price that is either at or below MU. This of course in turn forces my competitors to ehter swallow their pride and drop their prices to keep in competition with me. All for the sake of getting their peds.

After all, it's not the BIG sales that make money, it's the times you can repeat the process of selling an item. In short, Mass consumption, mass production. The more you can consume an item, the more you can mass produce and rather then putting an item up for a totally over inflated price, if you get competitive, and sell at or below or even slightly above MU, you will make money a lot fast. In fact I put up 8 lots of oro leather on market for 2% MU. and inside of a day, half of it was sold. But because I made my prices competitive, I was able to make more sales than say someone who over inflated the prices. And because I sold, now my prices are above MU, but only fracitonally. Now that's how you move goods, Get competitive with one another, and not look at trying to get the bucks the fasted.. Cause what happens is that rather than reselling, if none of these leathers sell, well then I take them back and wait. Or use them. After all I am mass producing by hunting/mining/crafting, I am mass consuming by buying items at loswer MU. And in the end, I turn out a product that can be sold at lower and lower costs. Until you get a break even point where the market stabilizes and you can no longer sell anymore to make a profit. After all, it's not higher MU's that make your money, it's how fast can you get and be competitive with the other players around you.

Wery well spoken there K-max, Talk to players who are honest, upfront, and are not trying to swindle you. Frankly if an item is too overpriced, people are not going to buy, period.

But if it is reasonably priced, things will move and in a hurry. After all players have no clue as to mass production and mass consumption. I think if they ever watched a lesson on this , they should look at this from the Looney Toons type of angle. Just remember be compeitive, if you want your items to move, be reasonable, not unreasonable, and in some cases, totally insane. Because to be honest, those who are overinflating the prices, are in fact hurting not only the economy, but also themselves as well each time they have to put an item back up on auction. Do that a few million tiems, and yo will literally bankrupt yourself.

And rick, you have the perfect logic. Those who are selling it 300-400% lower will make sales, those who don't won't. A good example is this . If you put an item that sells for 48 ped, and your compeitior puts up an item at 46, who do you think will sell more? You? or your competitor?

The answer is obvious isn't it? Your comepetitor will, an iif you over inflate too much, no one will buy from you.

But if you even put it at a couple of pecent over the MU, your items will sell, Not tens or even hundreds of PED, but just a few.

In short, be reasonable.

And yet, it's the players who turn away players with their over inflated prices? If you sell a gun that is over inflated, most players wll throw their hands up in frustration not being able to buy an item. And they'll leave.. What you have to do here, is again be reasonable, not greedy. For every sale you make even if you make a few pec more, will actually make you money, and not lose it.

Also for our friends on Calypso, and those on other planets I say this. Greed is killing this game. It's forcing people to not be able to recycle their peds, just because of the fact, that your product is overpriced. Get competitive, be competitve. If not, they you're the loser, not your competitor. and you'll bankrupt yourself as the prices go higher and higer and less and less people play. Eventually players will burn out. Some will not.

Swallow your pride a little, be competitive, lose a ped here, but make more sales and charge only a few ped, cause in the long run, you'll still make money, but not at the ridiculous, but rather sane way.

Oh and you know, I won't buy a BP until the prices are reasonable, or I loot one myself, and can mass produce an item. Each day that goes by, means that those who don't make sales, won't. Time does have a factor, but then so does the player if he'll stop being greedy and instead become more competitive on the market. Those who fail to adapt will egvnetually lose customers. It's a known fact. Why is it that if you look on the world markets today (not in game, but in RL) do you have so many companies closing?The answer is simple. Because they were greedy, they have too much materials (inventory), and not enough goods to have produced, and thos they are foced to charge more to the point where no one buys. That's how some comanies fail within the first year. If they aren't competitive and are reasonable, they'll go out of business and in a hurry.

Take that same application and put it into the game context, and you'll see what happens. If you play smart, you will make money, if you don't you won't. and this is where you HAVE to get competitive. After all each sale you lose, means it'll be harder to make it up in the long run. Swallow your pride, and enjoy the fact that even though you are making pec back, it eventually comes back many times over. o you can be even more competitive, without breaking yourself. Until players realize this, they're only fooling themselves.

Benjamin Ben Coytoe a.k.a "The Blind Sniper"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Klod

Klod Member

The market at Ark is not stable.

Its not greed or lack of it imho. Its the lack, or rather the unstability, of buyers and sellers that is the problem. There is not hundreds of people at Arkadia sitting with huge amounts of stuff in the storage refusing to sell it or posting it at silly prices. The invicible hand reasoning doesnt work on a "self sutainable" economy as arkadias, yet. the instability of the prices tell us this. Where there is demand not enough people supply and where there is no demand to many supply.

We need balanace and for that we need someone with a fat ped card, patience and with the aim to make profit at Ark. The prices on the auction it change rapidly as well, so the risk is high when you post items.

4. Ben Coyote

Ben Coyote Member

This is where I would have to disagree here with your obsewrvation. It's not that we need balance here, but rather we need buyers who are willing to stay on planet to help drive the economy. The stupidity is this. Many resellers and buyers undercut the market and in turn over inflate and stagnate th market by hauling items off planet. Now graneted hauling some items off planet makes it look like a high demand market, when in reality it is not. What people are doing is in fact doing the opposite of what needs to be done, which is to maufacture an item on planet, and keep it on planet. However, you do need to sell compeitively not in 1 market but rather 2. (3 if you count Rocktropia's fledgeling economy as most of the instability there is because of lack of items to craft, and lack of people to buy.

In short, what we need are for people to get off of Calypso and stay off of the planet for a while. Many folks take their mentality and think , Calypso is the ONLY planet in the EU. The reeality is, it's not. YOu got 1 over populated world, and 3 worlds suffering at the hands of a 4th which is over-inflated, and where Greed Runs rampant on a daily basis..

Also I would like to note that while some people want to go to Calypso to try and move their goods, (Again at over inflated prices) my question would be, why? Rather than move goods to another planet, move people.. Calypso at this moment is extremely laggy cause of the number of people who go and stay there. I came over to Arkadia to cut down on that lag.. and I barely stay on Calypso for more than 30 minutes at a time.

But the thing is. There are too many people on Caly, not enough on Arkadia, and no majo crafters who want to stay on Akadia to build their empires here.. After all, A person who builds their empires on each planet using the natural resources around them, will in fact get rich.. Not that others are doing it in the least smart way ever.. which is over inflating prices and forcing people not to buy.

This goes back to my lest post, which is getting competitive. Many people don't want to get compeitigve cause they think it will hurt their PED card. IN reality the reverse is true.. By being Competitive, it actually enhances your bank card cause people want to buy mateirals from you at a fair and honest price (though the vast majority look at this as undercutting the reality is, if you can move goods, then you're making money, if you don't you won't.. again supply and demand. But with the population always fluctuating (and eventually returning to) Calypso, the market is indeed unstable. It's because everyone is out for the almighty PED, rather then being compeitive.

(And to prove this point, between the time I started this post and the time I am finishing it now, I got over 100 ped.. for selling at or below MU..

After all, More sales meand more ped in the pocket to do more hunting/mining / crafting.

And if you guys can't see that, then you are more blind then I am.

Benjamin Ben Coyote a..a. "The Blind Sniper"

5. Klod

Klod Member

Yes, thats what I said. We need a buyer that stay on ark. Or many buyers even.