1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arkadian missions - attributes and skill gains vs tokens

Discussion in 'Missions' started by remontoire, Nov 11, 2011.

1. remontoire

remontoire Member

What are the plans for future Arkadian missions - will these also be switching to tokens or will there still be attribute gain and skill reward missions in the future?

2. RexDameon

RexDameon Active Member Pro Users

I actually like the token idea especially for repeate missions. It would be cool to get different kind of rewards. I've been a big fan of being able to get BP's through missions too.

3. harmony

harmony Active Member Pro Users

Personally i think tokens are a bad idea for Arkadia. With tokens it costs the planet partner peds to supply the stuff you can get for tokens. With skills they gain peds since some people chip the skills out (decay) and auction them (auction fees)

4. Neil

Neil Adviser Pro Users Arkadia Adviser

Does anyone know if the planet partners have to pay MA for the value of each mission reward given out?

As far as mission rewards hurting a PP or MA... maybe there is a cost, but the return they get for a good mission is worth it. Look at RT and the THING. They give out valuable rewards... rewards that are significant enough to do damage to the economy (people don't need to buy as many gungnirs and trucks as before, meaning less decay in the production process, less depositing). But if you look at how many people went to RT to see the thing (space flight fees, decay, hunting, buying faps, armor and weapons for the missions as well as hanging around RT afterwards), i'm sure it generated a lot of income for RT. There may even be people who joined up for EU because they wanted to hunt the thing.

5. Cyborg Bill

Cyborg Bill Well-Known Member Pro Users

I see tokens and attrib rewards both as detrimental to the universe as I stated when Missions first came available. I already said my peace here regarding the token thing so I will readdress the Attrib rewards and call it a day.

With easily obtained attributes many detrimental things are happening. First and formost the tradition of segrigation is continued by these. To get the attribs one is forced to do hunting missions. Therefore players that have skilled in crafting and mining will not have the advantage these easily gained attribs give thus segregating hunters above crafters and miners. Secondly these attribs were originally set to be hard to attain high levels in thus give great addition to over all abilities of the player. Again hunters have been handed an advantage.

Now in the end game..These advantages will add up and begin to make things too easy for hunters thus giving more the ability to profit from this. To counter act that MA must make an adjustment to hold their profit margin. This leaves two choices..Nerf the effect attribs have on the player thus segregating further players who can not do these attrib missions, or make hunting harder, again segregating further players unable to grind thru all these missions simply to keep up with the system.

This way of doing things has been the downfall of every video game out there. The whole reason I came to EU in the first place is that it was hard to skill, the skills DID have an effect on players outcome and ability to succeed but now this is all becoming moot and will continue the degradation of the entire universe.

This is THE main reason why EU is not and will not grow no matter how much copy cat bullshit MA throws into. In fact it is hastening its demise by genericising EU into just another crappy MMO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fopsie

Fopsie Active Member Pro Users

I have mixed feelings about the tokens.

I love the skill rewards the most Atm but I also love the rumor that via missions and tokens you will have the option to convert some (L) items to (UL) status some time in the future and yet at the same time I hate the rumor because I fear that if can harm the (UL) item market even further. Also most of those items offered by the current token system on Calypso is items I really nether buy simply because I find them a waste or have no use for them in the way I play and because of that haven't even bothered to do one of those missions.

So I guess it comes down to how Ark studios implement it if they ever choose to do so but I would much rather see skills and some other rewards or uses for those tokens or another kind of reward system instead of a copy of Calypso's current token system.
    Skill via token can work allowing you to keep gaining skills in the one you want instead of gaining skills you don't want or need.

7. Fopsie

Fopsie Active Member Pro Users

@ Cyborg : Diversity can be good if implemented correctly but remember no matter what you do there will always be someone that dislikes the changes while others will love it. You can't have both so this may harm trust or confidence in EU for some while boosting it for other just like it can harm the fun lvl for some and make it more fun for others. Its a balance MA and us all have to live with.

Take a look at the polls made right after space came out. In the end it averaged out @ basically 50 % vote for and against the system.

8. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Well-Known Member Pro Users

Regardless of what tokens can buy, 1 token beats 1k fragments as a mission reward.
    However I have not really been intersted in the token missions on Caly yet as I have little use for the end rewards so far posted. For example Angel (L) sounds nice but I dont yet hunt at a level that would benefit from that.

Personally I prefer skill and attribute gain as a reward. Did the Longtooth missions last migration and was very happy to unlock Avoidance owing to gaining some levels in Evade. I dont think that devalued the skills market. I have no plans to chip it out and Evade is so expensive that I am unlikely to chip more in (I did chip in some evade and dodge early in my development). The only 10k mission I have completed is merps, was happy with the end reward and am not sure I would have persevered for tokens instead.

I think tokens are an interesting addtion to the range of possible rewards and am looking forward to see how Arkadia PP uses them. However, I am a big fan of the existing system of skill and atribute rewards (except for fragments) and would liketo see tokens augment rather than replace them.

KikkiJikki

9. KMax

KMax Well-Known Member Pro Users

I like the token idea but instead of placing some uber stuff to purchase with tokens they should make things more normalized. Forgot the high end L armor and high end weapons most people are mid level or low level and have no need for such things. I'd rather see stuff like mid level L guns, L mining tools and L armors or lower level L stuff available for purchase with these tokens. Would still keep the high level stuff more rare and worth achieving later on in your avatars career. I also think should take quite a few more mission tokens to achieve these mission L items then what just purchasing them out right would cost. Keep revenue generating for the planet and not interfere with the crafters business as much. Calypo did put to high of level stuff up there for to cheap in my opinion for the mission token prizes, but that is just my opinion. Don't get me wrong I am working at trying to get it :)

I also like the skill bonus missions as well maybe a mix of both would be nice. Nothing beat working on a mission to get 25% through a profession level.

I completed a lot of missions on Calypso and still am less then 80 tokens, I figure unless I purchase some from auction it will take a ton of missions to get a token item by myself. But 450 tokens for Angel piece does seem a little cheap when you can easily pick tokens up on auction for not to much markup, compared to what Angle markup is, L armour does seem to last a heck of a long time also and give full protection at any level of deterioration. Which kind of makes it worth getting, why not just toss the UL stuff out when you can just pick L stuff up over and over again from the mission broker dude for less then what it would cost to repair it.

Just my take on whole thing. Take it or leave it IDC....

10. Jenny ferr

Jenny ferr Well-Known Member Pro Users

This is exactly what I been trying to explain to people the skill/attri rewards will sooner or later force people to do missions to be able to hunt what you did yesterday as they have to nerf them when too many players have too much skills. And harder mobs require bigger guns = more expensive...
    Personally I remember the nerf on Atrox, Aurli, Kreltin... As this happened JUST at the time I skilled up enough to be able to hunt them which was a goal back then.

And this exact thing will happen again, which is why I dont really like the mission system the way it is today. And the token system I already explained I agree with CB there too in that other thread

• Like Like x 1